• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Why do people on Formiculture not like the ants and Antkeeping discord server?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
162 replies to this topic

#41 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 25 2020 - 7:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’ve found 5,000 P.imp males for what that’s worth.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#42 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted March 25 2020 - 7:26 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I found 1...

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#43 Offline Nare - Posted March 25 2020 - 9:08 AM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

My question is why is FC so dead now if all of us just are cooped up at home? Where are all the cool journal updates and stuff? Isn’t anyone making cool formicariums or anything?

If you're looking for cool journals, look no further than my signature  :lol:

• FSTP, TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

#44 Offline aznphenom - Posted March 25 2020 - 10:48 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I also saw thousands of drones and 7 queens. Supposedly, its normal for that kind of ratio for p. imparis. I don't know for sure. It was my flight ever of any sp.

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#45 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 25 2020 - 11:04 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

My question is why is FC so dead now if all of us just are cooped up at home? Where are all the cool journal updates and stuff? Isn’t anyone making cool formicariums or anything?

cause for some of us it's still winter. Flights aren't until late may here.

#46 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 25 2020 - 11:06 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I also saw thousands of drones and 7 queens. Supposedly, its normal for that kind of ratio for p. imparis. I don't know for sure. It was my flight ever of any sp.

I think the ratio is 500:1 males to queens.

#47 Offline aznphenom - Posted March 25 2020 - 11:11 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I think the ratio is 500:1 males to queens.

Is that the same for most species? I guess I am pretty lucky to find 10. I just thought queens are way more abundant. Probably false assumption because I know one person that finds Pogonomyrmex queens in the 100s every year.

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#48 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 25 2020 - 1:03 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

gallery_2_137_4440.jpg

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

#49 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 25 2020 - 1:27 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

wow...there's been a drop off lol (week 11-12) 

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#50 Offline Nare - Posted March 25 2020 - 1:29 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Not sure if I'm reading this correctly but it looks like Week 12 is the one we're in right now, and we're only halfway through it.

• Barristan, Martialis and FeedTheAnts like this

#51 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 25 2020 - 5:02 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’ll retract my statement. I just expected a surge in interesting posts, plus I miss some of of the older members who wrote great journals.
  • Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#52 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 25 2020 - 5:08 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Dermy...

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#53 Offline Serafine - Posted March 25 2020 - 6:20 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I’ll retract my statement. I just expected a surge in interesting posts, plus I miss some of of the older members who wrote great journals.

Regarding journals... this probably isn't going to be the most popular statement but someone has to say it (and I've heard this from quite a lot of people) - there really need to be certain basic standards for journals. Like, a quarter of them doesn't even have pictures. If it becomes a chore to find actually good journals people will stop reading new journals altogether at some point (unless they already know the user from other journals). I've also seen journals being interrupted by 3 pages of discussion which really isn't ideal either (I usually try to answer all questions in one go in the next update so this doesn't happen, but that also becomes an issue if there's only one update per month).

There should at least be a "how to make a journal" tutorial sticky topic that covers the basics, this would help new people immensely and hopefully maintain some quality within that forum section.

Edited by Serafine, March 25 2020 - 6:22 PM.

• Ants4fun, Zeiss, FeedTheAnts and 3 others like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#54 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 26 2020 - 5:02 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Not sure if I'm reading this correctly but it looks like Week 12 is the one we're in right now, and we're only halfway through it.

We were only one day into the last week. :lol:

• Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this

#55 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 26 2020 - 5:58 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

lol, so I made a mistake lmao

#56 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted April 1 2020 - 10:19 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Some of us are actually MORE busy during quarantine.  %)

And thanks for explaining why I found a gajillion Prenolepis imparis males in the school yard and parking lot (so many at least one hitched a ride home on my clothes) but didn't see a single queen.

EDIT: Trust me, if I had more time, I would've been looking a lot more carefully, but I only had a few minutes.

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, April 1 2020 - 11:18 AM.

• AntsDakota likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#57 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 1 2020 - 10:25 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

That's funny...... yesterday I saw a queen but no males.  :lol:

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#58 Offline FSTP - Posted April 1 2020 - 5:47 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

That's funny...... yesterday I saw a queen but no males.  :lol:

Did you catch catch it ?

#59 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 1 2020 - 5:57 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
It landed on my window and flew away again. Actually today, I saw hoards of males, so I take that back.

Edited by AntsDakota, April 1 2020 - 5:58 PM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#60 Offline MillyMoney - Posted September 10 2020 - 7:00 AM

MillyMoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationHi Desert California

is there a Discord connected to this site? 

I'd love to join if so!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users