• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dolichoderus quadripunctatus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Djordje-Milosevic - Posted March 21 2020 - 6:50 AM

Djordje-Milosevic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSerbia,Smederevska Palanka

I just caught dolichoderus quadripunctatus queen, never kept this species before and i don't know anything about them. So any info about keeping them would be very appreciated.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

#2 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted March 21 2020 - 7:45 AM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

I think queens of this genus join existing colonies rather than founding their own; try catching a few workers and brood from a wild nest (not foragers) and introducing your queen to them. Chill the wild ants in the fridge first, just to make sure they're fully pacified. This might be totally wrong though, because almost nothing is known about these ants. Nice find and I hope she does well!

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#3 Offline Martialis - Posted March 21 2020 - 8:29 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

They can found colonies on their own.  If I recall correctly, they're fully claustral.

Spoiler

#4 Offline Djordje-Milosevic - Posted March 21 2020 - 10:25 AM

Djordje-Milosevic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSerbia,Smederevska Palanka

I am looking online but there is not much info on them. I found one guy that keeps them tho i will try to contact him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users