• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Superorganisms

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 16 2020 - 4:54 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

So i'm a little bit obsessed with superorganisms (e.g. individual organisms that collectively function as a single organism), so I just thought I'd start a thread about them (and, of course, ant colonies fall into the category of superorganism, so it's very relevant).

One of the things I like about superorganisms is how they seem to blurr our idea of an individual organism. It seems like we judge something as an individual if all its parts are physically connected (like with tissue). But then you have things like ant colonies. Colonies have all the properties of life that define an individual organism. I for one am just thrilled at how these creatures cooperate to the point of being a single entity.

• Martialis and AntsDakota like this

#2 Offline Martialis - Posted March 16 2020 - 6:22 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

They're definitely interesting. By some definitions, ant workers alone (in some species) aren't alive—they lack the ability to reproduce. 

If you're interested in "superorganisms," look into the clonal tree colonies. They're amazing.

• FSTP and TheMicroPlanet like this
Spoiler

#3 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 16 2020 - 6:50 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

The ones with interconnected roots?

And yeah, superorganisms are pretty cool. Pyrosomes are the best example I can think of. If you count them as one organism they can get longer than blue whales.

• TheMicroPlanet likes this

#4 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 17 2020 - 5:16 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

The ones with interconnected roots?

And yeah, superorganisms are pretty cool. Pyrosomes are the best example I can think of. If you count them as one organism they can get longer than blue whales.

Tunicates seem to have a pretty good superorganism business going on. The Cnidaria have some cool ones too (e.g. siphonophores, corals, porpitids, sea pens, etc). Siphonophores are just... awesome, in the real sense of that word.

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 17 2020 - 6:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

You definitely need to read E.O. Wilson's Superorganism book. It's a masterpiece.

• Martialis, TheMicroPlanet and TestSubjectOne like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 17 2020 - 12:59 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

And let's not forget termites.

And bees.

And every other eusocial insect.

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, March 17 2020 - 1:00 PM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 17 2020 - 1:59 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Don’t forget social spiders!
  • Temperateants and Ants_Dakota like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#8 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 17 2020 - 2:23 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Not exactly superorganisms. But I guess they count somewhat, with the exception of certain bees and the spiders. They have the capability to reproduce and survive on their own.

#9 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 17 2020 - 3:17 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Social spiders are kind of.... meh. I mean, from what I understand, if one of their comrades gets eaten by a bird of something, the others just kinda sit there or run away.

#10 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 17 2020 - 3:23 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Social spiders are kind of.... meh. I mean, from what I understand, if one of their comrades gets eaten by a bird of something, the others just kinda sit there or run away.

They just live together and share resources.

#11 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 17 2020 - 6:20 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Like us.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#12 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 17 2020 - 6:36 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Some do care for unrelated young, but they’re not superorganisms.

#13 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 18 2020 - 8:26 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I wonder if they care for the young out of eusociality or so that they have a better chance of surviving with a larger group.

#14 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 18 2020 - 8:45 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

I wonder if they care for the young out of eusociality or so that they have a better chance of surviving with a larger group.

Sort of like schools of fish?

#15 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 18 2020 - 11:07 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Perhaps ‘superorganisms’ can on survive together, as one, and not as individual parts. Spider and fish can survive alone, but just try keeping a pet worker ant without its colony.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#16 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 18 2020 - 2:30 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Perhaps ‘superorganisms’ can on survive together, as one, and not as individual parts. Spider and fish can survive alone, but just try keeping a pet worker ant without its colony.

Easy peasy. Eusocial, not a superorganism.

#17 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 18 2020 - 3:06 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Well, all that is required of a superorganism is for individuals to collectively take on the roles of a single organism. I guess social spiders kind of fit the definition, but very loosely and not at all to the level of eusocial insects and colonial cnidaria.

#18 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 18 2020 - 7:16 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Well, all that is required of a superorganism is for individuals to collectively take on the roles of a single organism. I guess social spiders kind of fit the definition, but very loosely and not at all to the level of eusocial insects and colonial cnidaria.

Not at all. They live together and cooperate, but still individually breed and compete.

#19 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 19 2020 - 4:00 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

I think individual breeding can fit into a superorganism, but competition absolutely cannot.

#20 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 19 2020 - 8:24 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I think individual breeding can fit into a superorganism, but competition absolutely cannot.

Individual breeding does not fit, as that directly leads to competition among mates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users