• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Formica subsericea Journal - FormicaFarm Setup

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#41 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 8 2020 - 9:36 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’d call them poor man’s strobe ant.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#42 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 8 2020 - 9:42 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

No offence, but even you didn't spell Oecophylla correctly.(I assume auto-correct struck again) I guess you are right, but they are just so varying and non-uniform, it is rather irritating.

Edited by NickAnter, May 1 2020 - 1:12 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#43 Offline Nare - Posted April 8 2020 - 10:04 AM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Funnily enough, the common names that I've seen used most often for Formica are wood, mound and/or field ants. Field ants would probably refer to fuscapallidifulva, and neogagates group, while mound ant might refer to the others. Formica rufa (and probably rufa-group as well) are usually referred to as wood ants. Thing is, I've heard of species of Lasius also referred to as field ants, and some might associate wood ants with Camponotus. For these reasons, if I used common names, I'd just refer to Formica as mound ants. Avoids the confusion in my opinion. 

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#44 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 8 2020 - 10:26 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

No offence, but even you didn't spell Oecophylla correctly.(I assume auto-correct struck again) I guess you are right, but they are just so verying and non-uniform, it is rather irritating.

Oh......... I always mess that one up.........  :facepalm:   And I guess 'offence' should be 'offense', and 'verying' should be varying'. Just saying.........  :)

• Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#45 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 8 2020 - 10:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yeah, the English teacher in me was going to point that out. Oecophylla in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

Edited by ANTdrew, April 8 2020 - 10:42 AM.

• AntsDakota and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#46 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 8 2020 - 2:35 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

No offence, but even you didn't spell Oecophylla correctly.(I assume auto-correct struck again) I guess you are right, but they are just so verying and non-uniform, it is rather irritating.

Oh......... I always mess that one up.........  :facepalm:   And I guess 'offence' should be 'offense', and 'verying' should be varying'. Just saying.........  :)

Actually, "offence" can be spelled either way. But, the other was indeed, a stupid, slightly hypocritical mistake.

• AntsDakota likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#47 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 17 2020 - 10:12 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 4-17-2020

Things seem to be going fine for Yrse, but she's gone back to never doing anything I can see. They dug a tunnel all the way to the bottom of the dirt box, and I figure they must be comfortable if they never come out. The various small insects I've given them do disappear at some point, though, so I know they're eating. I'm hoping to see more activity as their numbers grow.

One thing I regret is not baking the substrate I used because I'm seeing a lot of mold pop up. I was trying to be slick and keep things bioactive, but I regret that now. To try to remedy this, I dumped in six or so springtails from my culture, and I'll try to keep adding more as I can. If it ain't one thing, it's the other.

• Boog, AntsDakota, Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and 1 other like this

#48 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 26 2020 - 6:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 4-26-2020

There's not a whole lot to report on this colony so far. They keep secretly taking all the food I've been giving them, which has included a camel cricket leg and lots of fruit flies. I was happy to spot one of the springtails I had added the other night scuttling about in the substrate.

One bad thing that happened was when a piece of tape on the lid of my fruit fly container inadvertently stuck on the side of the dirt box and pulled it over when I moved the container. I freaked out and checked on them to see if they were ok, and I got a glimpse of the queen and a big white pile in her chamber, which must be brood. I'm just staying patient and hoping these ants will become more visible as their numbers grow.

• TennesseeAnts, Boog, AntsDakota and 1 other like this

#49 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 26 2020 - 7:11 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Update 4-26-2020

There's not a whole lot to report on this colony so far. They keep secretly taking all the food I've been giving them, which has included a camel cricket leg and lots of fruit flies. I was happy to spot one of the springtails I had added the other night scuttling about in the substrate.
One bad thing that happened was when a piece of tape on the lid of my fruit fly container inadvertently stuck on the side of the dirt box and pulled it over when I moved the container. I freaked out and checked on them to see if they were ok, and I got a glimpse of the queen and a big white pile in her chamber, which must be brood. I'm just staying patient and hoping these ants will become more visible as their numbers grow.

In a couple weeks, all that brood will have developed into workers.
  • ANTdrew likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#50 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 26 2020 - 8:33 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Not checking them seems to be the best for lasius. I always checked mine way to often.

• ANTdrew likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#51 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 26 2020 - 9:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yeah, I basically never check these, which is why I hope they start foraging more.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#52 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 26 2020 - 9:37 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Not checking them seems to be the best for lasius. I always checked mine way to often.

Did you mean to post this in his Lasius journal?

#53 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 1 2020 - 10:54 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 5-1-2020

I've been exercising a lot of self control the past few weeks to give Yrse time to settle into her dirt nest unmolested. I know these are sensitive ants, so I didn't want to be sticking my nose into their 'bidness' all the time. Today, I reaped the fruits of my patience and removed the felt covering I put around their dirt box to survey their tunnels and look for brood. I was really happy with what I saw: they have tunnels going all the way around the box and all the way down. In one of their bigger chambers, about midway down, I can make out at least 6-7 big larvae wiggling about maggot style. These ants are also eating a ton. I've been giving them lots of fruit flies, mealworms, and a few earwigs. The food disappears shortly after I put and then reappears a day later as trash.

Mold has decreased significantly as well, which I hope is a sign that the springtails are doing their thing. I added to their set up four more of a very large springtail that is thriving in my springtail culture. They'll either end up as lunch or be a jumbo clean up crew.

Tunneling:

Close up of larvae:

Attached Images

• IMG-7023.jpg

Edited by ANTdrew, March 5 2021 - 11:33 AM.

• FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts, Boog and 2 others like this

#54 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 3 2020 - 10:18 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 5-4-2020

Just a photo dump. My Formica argentea colony is getting way more active, and they went nuts for a big dubia roach I gave them Friday night. I have high hopes for this colony now.

Attached Images

• IMG-7030.JPG

Edited by ANTdrew, March 5 2021 - 11:35 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, Boog and AntsDakota like this

#55 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 10 2020 - 12:02 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 5-10-2020

This colony is doing pretty great. They are feeding well and keep tunneling. They have quite a few pupae piled up in their lowest chamber at the bottom of the dirt box. I think the colony should get to 20 workers in no time if they're not there already. One worker was doing the frantic climbing up walls that I've seen before in Camponotus workers trying to leave the colony before dying, so I actually just let her out and haven't seen her since. RIP

These ants really love dubia roaches and fruit flies. They are less than enthusiastic about mealworms, and the colony basically ignored some earwigs I gave them a few days ago. Most of my other colonies love earwigs, so that's odd.
I'd love to design a big dirt tank for these like the one Dspdrew uses for his Acromyrmex.

• AnthonyP163, FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts and 4 others like this

#56 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 10 2020 - 1:10 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Nice! Just got a colony of these recently from Ants4fun. Hopefully they'll do as well as yours.  :)

• ANTdrew and Ants_Dakota like this

#57 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 10 2020 - 3:32 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Nice! Just got a colony of these recently from Ants4fun. Hopefully they'll do as well as yours. :)

Niiiiice! I think the dirt box style is really good for their sensitive nature.
  • AntsDakota likes this

#58 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 10 2020 - 4:13 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Nice! Just got a colony of these recently from Ants4fun. Hopefully they'll do as well as yours. :)

Niiiiice! I think the dirt box style is really good for their sensitive nature.
I have them in a THA Genesis insert. He claims his colonies of the species do very well in them. I might get a dirt box when the colony gets larger, though.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#59 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 20 2020 - 6:20 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 5-20-20

This colony continues to progress nicely. They really do grow much faster than Camponotus! There are two or three foragers out at all times now, and feeder insects disappear pretty quickly. Twelve termites I gave them the other day as a special treat were gone in twenty minutes! Last night they polished off a chopped up mealworm as well.

Their tunneling is so extensive now that I've had to remove a lot of the piled up soil. I used my handy DIY aspirator to do this last night (thanks Madbiologist!). I can see lots of workers and brood when I look in their tunnels now, but they don't really show up well for photos. I apologize for that, but I think this dirt nest is much better for their well-being. I love keeping ants like this.

IMG 7877

Edited by ANTdrew, February 10 2021 - 5:23 AM.

• AnthonyP163, FeedTheAnts, AntsDakota and 1 other like this

#60 Offline ForestDragon - Posted May 20 2020 - 6:30 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

*when mad biologist is more popular than you but you are in reality way cooler and way hotter in every way possible* *also this is a joke don't get offended mad you know where I live don't come and kill me in my sleep*

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users