• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

OiledOlives' Dorymyrmex bureni journal

dorymyrmex bureni

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline OiledOlives - Posted October 22 2023 - 2:01 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I haven't been able to find pictures of big captive colonies of this species on Discord, Youtube, or Formiculture so here goes

I got some queens from a friend in NC and I planned on keeping a colony of them for myself and the rest are on sale.
After nanitics emerged, I dumped this colony into a formisquarium. They stayed in the outworld for a few days but eventually migrated into the nest portion. I keep the nest as humid as possible and have a heating cable constantly running across the top of the nest. I provide constant sugars in a liquid feeder and put insects into their outworld (almost exclusively dubia roaches) even if I don't see them foraging for them. Since this species is so active, I can get away with putting them in a nest that is too big.

September 10, 2023
Dorymyrmex bureni whiteformisquare1.jpg
Dorymyrmex bureni whiteformisquare2workers.jpg
Dorymyrmex bureni whiteformisquare3.jpg
Dorymyrmex bureni whiteformisquare4(best).jpg

October 22, 2023
Dorymyrmex bureni 2.1.jpg
Dorymyrmex bureni 2.2.jpg

• ANTdrew and 100lols like this

#2 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted October 22 2023 - 3:38 PM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York
Beautiful ants.

Edited by Jonathan5608, October 22 2023 - 3:38 PM.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 22 2023 - 4:11 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Lovely!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline 100lols - Posted October 25 2023 - 8:13 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Looking good! Making me miss my bicolor colony a bit when you mentioned putting them in a big nest as they are so active. Fun genus!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dorymyrmex bureni

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users