• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Captain Morgans Journal

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Captain_Morgan - Posted February 25 2020 - 1:04 AM

Captain_Morgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Greetings and welcome to my journal. I suppose I'd best start with by introducing myself. My names Steven Morgan I'm 35 years young and I'm from Cardiff, S.Wales UK where I work as a press operator. I have a few hobbies ants being the newest, and In the forthcoming pages il endeavour to document my experiences as a total beginner to keeping ants as pets. I hope if you do come across this journal you can take as much pleasure reading it as I have from reading others.

Entry 1, 08/02/2012.

Okay it's time to stop watching David Attenborough ant documentaries and finally buy myself a queen. After doing some research on local species and finding out a bit more about how to keep ants successfully iv decided to purchase a lasius niger queen, brood and between 10 and 20 workers. Ordered them from ant r us via ebay.
  • ANTdrew and Ants_Dakota like this

#2 Offline Captain_Morgan - Posted February 25 2020 - 1:07 AM

Captain_Morgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Entry 2, 12/02/2020.

Ants arrived, really happy to see they they made the journey with no casualties.

Screenshot_20200224-173247_Gallery_zpsqz

Here she is, very happy man today. Offered them some honey which they seemed to relish.

20200224_181415_zpspnmbpxgp.jpg

Went ahead and ordered a small ant nest from ants ants to hopefully give them a better home. Long live the queen!

#3 Offline Captain_Morgan - Posted February 25 2020 - 1:14 AM

Captain_Morgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Entry 3, 14/02/2020.

Popped down the local reptile centre today and bought a fruit fly culture so to add a little protein to their diet. They seemed to really like eating them. At one point I felt sorry for the fruit fly as he was mobbed by a group of hungry ants! Watching them I couldn't help noticing how aggressive they where acting.

20200224_181617_zpsfywze9ya.jpg

This pic offers a nice look at the brood, along with them eating a fruit fly.

20200214_143645_zpsff6hohjx.jpg

Another observation is that they'd pulled a few strands from the cotton ball.
  • Nare and ANTdrew like this

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 25 2020 - 3:16 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Great! Ants from the other side of the pond fascinate me, so I’ll definitely follow this. Keep the updates coming. Good choice on the fruit flies.
  • Captain_Morgan likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Captain_Morgan - Posted February 25 2020 - 4:00 AM

Captain_Morgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks buddy il do my best to get up to date with it asap.

#6 Offline Captain_Morgan - Posted February 25 2020 - 6:14 AM

Captain_Morgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Entry 4, 15/02/2020.

Ant nest came today, could hardly wait to get home and see if they'd actually make the move into their new home!

As soon as I got home I went ahead and placed the new nest onto a small towel. I added a small pinch of fine coco husk in to the nest first before hydrateing to give them something to dig around in and connected the test tube to the nest. I made their test tube more uncomfortable than the nest, With a lamp placed above the tube and the nest kept covered. So the wait began. In the end I think I watched for about 2 and a half hrs in total before deciding to pop out for and hour. Well when I got back they had made the move into their new nest, with out me! This gave me the chance to put a clean tube of water into the set up.

20200215_173012_zpsiip8wruu.jpg

Tube with ants all hooked up to their new ant nest. The ant nest is a 3d printed jobby and I'm well please with it, ordered via ebay from antsants.

20200215_175701_zpsd2xh38ad.jpg

Lamp placed above the ants, to persuade them to move.

20200215_220411_zpsj2snsigu.jpg

Jobs a goodun!

Edited by Captain_Morgan, February 25 2020 - 6:15 AM.

#7 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 25 2020 - 10:07 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Nice! I have had worse luck with moving ants from a test tube to a nest than you. Formica especially...

• Captain_Morgan likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#8 Offline Captain_Morgan - Posted February 25 2020 - 10:30 AM

Captain_Morgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Entry 5, 17/02/2020.

Ants seem to have settled in nicely into one corner of the nest. Everyone seems content. They've done a pretty good at blocking themselves in with the coco husk, making themselves a small chamber in one of the nooks in the nest. You can see them in the picture below.

20200221_192012_zpsdbfvgqwd.jpg

It's also worth noting that in this pic the ants have been placing small bits of coco husk between the acrylic and nest. Only at the location of the queen and her brood.

Screenshot_20200225-181237_Video%20Playe

This pic was taken just after they made the move over so you can see how busy they have been.

Couldn't resist and bought a lasius flavus queen, also known as the yellow meadow ant. Always liked bumping into these on days out.

#9 Offline Captain_Morgan - Posted February 25 2020 - 10:53 AM

Captain_Morgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Entry 6, 18/02/2020.

20200217_180648_zpswi7gyfs5.jpg

Connected up this little outworld in the hopes that one day they'll find it.

#10 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 25 2020 - 2:45 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Entry 5, 17/02/2020.

Ants seem to have settled in nicely into one corner of the nest. Everyone seems content. They've done a pretty good at blocking themselves in with the coco husk, making themselves a small chamber in one of the nooks in the nest. You can see them in the picture below.

20200221_192012_zpsdbfvgqwd.jpg

It's also worth noting that in this pic the ants have been placing small bits of coco husk between the acrylic and nest. Only at the location of the queen and her brood.

Screenshot_20200225-181237_Video%20Playe

This pic was taken just after they made the move over so you can see how busy they have been.

Couldn't resist and bought a lasius flavus queen, also known as the yellow meadow ant. Always liked bumping into these on days out.

the possible reason of placing coco husks could be 1) to absorb moisture, or 2) to give the pupae aid in their cocoon spinning. Best of luck! 

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#11 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 25 2020 - 3:37 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Ants also like to seal themselves off for protection and discreetness. That’s why they built the barricade.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#12 Offline Captain_Morgan - Posted February 25 2020 - 10:19 PM

Captain_Morgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks, that's interesting. I didn't realise they'll use the coco husk for cocoon spinning.
Antsdakota their clever little creatures, they are always up to something.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users