• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Thread of Formica Facts and Photos!

formica

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 24 2020 - 4:44 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

This is the beginning of a series of genus based 'Cultures', where we take the time to discuss anything relating to the genus Formica! Feel free to chat about Polyergus as well, as they're closely related.

• Da_NewAntOnTheBlock, Ants_Dakota and Thunder_Birds like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#2 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 24 2020 - 4:53 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Guess FormiCulture's already taken lol? You could do NAculture (since they're only found in North America), but besides that, what's the average egg to worker time for them? 

• Ants_Dakota likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 24 2020 - 4:56 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Guess FormiCulture's already taken lol? You could do NAculture (since they're only found in North America), but besides that, what's the average egg to worker time for them? 

Yes, it was. I also thought a little variety with names would be nice. To your question, when heated, it only takes 3-4 weeks, which I love, but they can get overly stressed (which I don't so love). When not heated, I would guestimate about 4-6 weeks, roughly.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 24 2020 - 4:57 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Ok, my room is high seventies to mid eighties, is that good for them (I know it's wonderful for my Camponotus at least)?

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 24 2020 - 4:58 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Yes, that should be perfect. Are you planning on keeping them this season?

#6 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 24 2020 - 5:01 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

My queen that I thought was Camponotus looks to be Subsericea soooo... 

#7 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted February 24 2020 - 5:01 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Does Formica require similar maintenance as Camponotus?

#8 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 24 2020 - 5:01 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I just need to know when I can check on her without scaring the eggs out of her lol

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#9 Offline Nare - Posted February 24 2020 - 5:15 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

You could do NAculture (since they're only found in North America)

Formica are also found all across Europe and northern Asia.

#10 Offline Nare - Posted February 24 2020 - 5:18 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Formica do better with some sort of substrate in their nest - I've found that mine produce naked pupae in just a normal test tube setup, which isn't ideal, as as far as I know, naked pupae are more susceptible to disease and mold. If you're keeping any sort of thatching Formica, heat might be a good idea, as one of the main purposes of their thatched nests in the wild is to sustain higher temperatures. I'm not sure if Formica can or should be kept in environments as dry as Camponotus. Of course, any good nest will provide a humidity gradient and allow the ants to choose where to nest, so that shouldn't really be a problem in captivity.

• TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

#11 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 24 2020 - 7:04 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Excuse me? They are found all over Europe and Asia. They just are not very prevalent in the Southern Hemisphere.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#12 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 24 2020 - 7:44 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I just need to know when I can check on her without scaring the eggs out of her lol

:lol:

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#13 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 25 2020 - 9:49 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Formica do better with some sort of substrate in their nest - I've found that mine produce naked pupae in just a normal test tube setup, which isn't ideal, as as far as I know, naked pupae are more susceptible to disease and mold. If you're keeping any sort of thatching Formica, heat might be a good idea, as one of the main purposes of their thatched nests in the wild is to sustain higher temperatures. I'm not sure if Formica can or should be kept in environments as dry as Camponotus. Of course, any good nest will provide a humidity gradient and allow the ants to choose where to nest, so that shouldn't really be a problem in captivity.

I have kept(and am still keeping :)) formica in a test tube right now. I had 7 pupa, and 4 of them were uncovered and three of them were covered. Why is this?

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#14 Offline Nare - Posted February 25 2020 - 10:06 AM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

I have kept(and am still keeping :)) formica in a test tube right now. I had 7 pupa, and 4 of them were uncovered and three of them were covered. Why is this?

From what I've heard, Formica larvae need bits of substrate or other particulate to start spinning their cocoons. Pieces of trash or bits of pulled cotton can serve this function in a test tube, but there likely isn't enough for all the brood to spin cocoons. So some can spin cocoons, and others can't manage to.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#15 Offline Temperateants - Posted February 25 2020 - 11:50 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

I learned the hard way that Formica actually require quite a bit of moisture.

They're ths size of Camponotous, but they grow almost 2 times as fast, so they require A LOT of protein. Sometimes, larvae will cannibalize tropic eggs, and even smaller larvae.

• Nare likes this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#16 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 25 2020 - 12:04 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I learned the hard way that Formica actually require quite a bit of moisture.
They're ths size of Camponotous, but they grow almost 2 times as fast, so they require A LOT of protein. Sometimes, larvae will cannibalize tropic eggs, and even smaller larvae.

This is true, in most aspects. Formica pacifica don't require much moisture at all, and can do great in a nest with over 30% humidity.

#17 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 25 2020 - 2:35 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

You could do NAculture (since they're only found in North America)

Formica are also found all across Europe and northern Asia.

Excuse me? They are found all over Europe and Asia. They just are not very prevalent in the Southern Hemisphere.

oh yeah, forgot about formica fusca, my bad  :facepalm:

#18 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 25 2020 - 3:34 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
There are many species of Formica in Europe and Asia besides fusca. F. Rufa is just one of the social parasites.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users