• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Gold Death (Formerly AntsDakota's Ant Journal)

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 16 2020 - 5:08 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Introduction

Welcome to my journal! Here I will document the progress of my ants, as well as translate my colonies into unique stories! Updates will be on Fridays or Saturdays, excluding this first update, and all colonies will be arranged from oldest to youngest (in my care, at least.)

Edited by AntsDakota, April 20 2020 - 7:36 AM.

• Ants4fun and ANTdrew like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 16 2020 - 5:22 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
UPDATE #001
Sunday, February 16th, 2020
Update 1 of Page 1

Camponotus pennsylvanicus
THE NOCT IMPERIUM

I received this colony from Ants4Fun. You may wish to read more about them in his journal. But in short, the queen was caught early summer 2019, along with a couple others. Of the ones that got workers, a couple died, and Ants4Fun fused the orphaned workers with my queen's. They had close to thirty workers before hibernation, yet he said they lost a few, bringing the total closer to 20. When I received them, I counted around 15. They have no brood, and are housed in a firebrick formicarium, handmade by Ants4Fun.

PLCz2lX.jpg
http://

bLdg9Lo.jpg

u4ZZjJD.jpg

I'm actually quite proud of the outworld I made them:

UUsUCxU.jpg

cgTdV4v.jpg

Lasius neoniger
THE LAI'SO REPUBLIC

I grouped these three founding queens into one name; yet they each have their own province/colony name. None have eggs yet, but that should change soon.

eAEafmp.jpg
_
From left to right: ALPHA NEJARA COLONY of the Nj'NAENON; Nj'NAENON home PROVINCE, planet LAI'SO; NOVA L'JAENUS COLONY of the Nj'NAENON
I received the center and right queens from Ants4Fun as well.

YA1EZzW.jpg

Edited by AntsDakota, March 1 2020 - 8:05 AM.

• Ants4fun, rbarreto, ANTdrew and 1 other like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 16 2020 - 5:35 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

STAR ANTS INTRODUCTION

The times are changing in the galaxy. The NOCT IMPERIUM, plauged with centuries of trial and tribulation, has pulled out strong. Now, defying all odds, have a fleet of hundreds of starships and exploration vessels, seeking to bring peace and order to the galaxy. The IMPERIUM was founded on the world SYLCANSICA, and is under the command of one royal empress, TENEBRA. 

Meanwhile, at the habitable epicenter of a dense, deadly nebula which few have dared to explore, a new nation has just been born. Out of the ashes of violent civil war, the various factions of the planet LAI'SO- the Nj'Naenon, the Nj'Geron, the Ama'Keratus, the Ama'Liechus, the Vle'Fusus, the U'Cajer, among many others, have finally made peace, and have united into the LAI'SO REPUBLIC, with its dozens of settled colonies belonging to various factions on many worlds all over the nebula's epicenter. 

Edited by AntsDakota, February 16 2020 - 5:52 AM.

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 16 2020 - 6:16 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

STAR ANTS                 

Episode 1

FIRST CONTACT     

A small Lai'So destroyer diligently patrolled the perimeter of their cherished nebula. Their mission was to protect the new nation which was just born inside. All inhabitants of planet Lai'So feared outsiders greatly, especially after an incident a century before involving the near extermination of their race. Now, on the bridge of this small vessel, the captain was required to make a choice. On long range sensors, an alien vessel had been detected. Its technology appeared more advanced than anything they had ever seen, except for one thing- the Lai'So invented a new gadget known as a 'cloaking device', which hid their warships from sensors and view screens. As the vessel neared their position, the captain, after running simulation after simulation in her mind, acted. The cloak dropped. "Hail them." a crewman complied. "This is the Lai'So Republic. You are approaching our space. Turn back immediately or you will be destroyed." 

They received an immediate reply- "This is the Noct Imperium. We wish you no harm. Our mission is to explore, not conquer. Stand down your weapons."

An outside deception, no doubt. "Give no response. Raise shields and prepare to fire on my command." 

"Fire."

"The Noct vessel has entered hyperspace," declared the crewman dryly.

"Do not pursue. Recloak the ship and finish this patrol shift."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Meanwhile, on the Noct vessel......

"Enter the nebula. Study as she goes." The captain was determined to offer her hand again to this seemingly hostile power. Even if it meant violating their space and risking destruction. The ship rocked violently as it entered the nebula. "Deflectors at maximum." It may have saved the ship, but it made the ride much bumpier. Several hours later, the 'ride' was complete- the Noct had crossed over into the unknown. They boldly approached a planet which appeared to be inhabited. "Perhaps there are other races living in the nebula than the Lai'So." The captain thought aloud as the planet was hailed.

_

"This is central command of Nj'Naenon colony Alpha Nejara. You are trespassing in our space. You will be destroyed." 

The captain repeated her response, and again got no response. "Where's the nearest Lai'So warship?" She asked the navigator.

"I'm detecting a few freighters within a few light years, but no Lai'So military vessels." The Noct had no knowledge of cloaking technology, as the Lai'So destroyer had decloaked within the unscannable nebula.

"Hail them again." As soon as she finished speaking, a Lai'So battleship suddenly decloaked directly behind them, and immediately fired photonic charges at the unsuspecting ship.

"Return fire and get us out of here." The ship was tossed back and forth with ever charge which slammed into their vessel. It was obvious their weapons and shields were not going to protect them for long. The vessel then proceeded toward the nebula, with an armada of angry Lai'So vessels closing in behind them. They entered the nebula with a crash, and sent distress calls on all frequencies. The nebula seemed worse the second time. The shear weight of the nebula and all the plasmic bursts which lashed at the shields combined with the Lai'So weapons fire caused the shields to collapse. The hull could not handle the stress, and buckled. "All hands, abandon sh...." kabang. The Noct vessel was no more. 

In an angry frenzy, the Lai'So fleet emerged from the nebula, prepared to destroy these insolent, ignorant fools. "Find the nearest satellite colony and set a course, maximum speed," declared the admiral, "exterminate all life on the surface."

TO BE CONTINUED

Edited by AntsDakota, February 16 2020 - 6:16 AM.

• AntsExodus likes this

#5 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 16 2020 - 6:52 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I would recommend writing a book!

Also, By the way, your pictures did not format for me properly, and I don't know why.

• AntsDakota likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 16 2020 - 8:03 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

There- you should be able to see them now.

#7 Offline MsTesaAnt - Posted February 16 2020 - 8:12 AM

MsTesaAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Very nice.  I really liked the title page.   I'm looking forward to hearing more about your ants.

• AntsDakota likes this

#8 Offline FSTP - Posted February 16 2020 - 8:55 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

How fun!

• AntsDakota likes this

#9 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 16 2020 - 10:55 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I can see the pictures now.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#10 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 16 2020 - 2:47 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Very nice.  I really liked the title page.   I'm looking forward to hearing more about your ants.

Thanks! But this is just the beginning. I will catch many more queens this year, and all will subsequently be incorporated into the STAR ANTS saga. I know the first episode may seem a bit dry, but trust me- things are about to get ....... interesting.  :D

#11 Offline Enderz - Posted February 17 2020 - 4:04 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

What does"Noct Imperum" actually mean?

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#12 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 18 2020 - 1:40 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

i love this.

#13 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 18 2020 - 3:53 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

This is like StarWars but for myremecologists (I'm sure it was intended that way and I just read it too fast to notice). Jolly good show!

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#14 Offline Enderz - Posted February 19 2020 - 10:57 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

I assume it should be 'noctis imperium' (I know i misspelled imperium before.)

• Ants_Dakota likes this

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#15 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 20 2020 - 10:25 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Night empire

Noct means night and imperium means command, power, or empire

(this is the second time i posted this because the other time i posted it, it disappeared...mysterious...)

Edited by Ants_Dakota, February 20 2020 - 10:26 AM.

• Enderz likes this

#16 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 20 2020 - 6:28 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I came up with the name based on the species' nocturnal behavior, and the fact that they're black. Imperium is just something to put on the end of it.  :lol:

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#17 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 21 2020 - 4:23 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
UPDATE #002
Friday, February 21st, 2020
Update 2 of page 1

Camponotus pennsylvanicus
THE NOCT IMPERIUM
First appearance update #001

Haven't peeked into the nest this week, but I rearranged their outworld-nest setup since the workers were having difficulty climbing the wall to get to the tube leading to the nest.

ig3kajYb.jpg

Lasius neoniger
THE LAI'SO REPUBLIC
First appearance update #001

Unfortunately, one of the queens died, yet the rest are doing well. I also have a heat mat that I use on these.

Queen Crassica (meaning 'fat' in Latin :lol: ) is very physogastric, and has laid one egg. More are on the way.

wPWoyxTb.jpg?1

Queen Alata (meaning 'winged' in Latin) has no eggs and isn't nearly as fat, yet I still have high hopes for her as well.

oyegkOfb.jpg

NEW!

Formica cf subsericea
THE EQUAN ALLIANCE

I acquired these from Ants_Dakota, who recently gut loaded them with honey and a cricket. No eggs yet, yet the queen's gaster is also fairly large.

hlMwiByb.jpg

SBGNhRYb.jpg

y12cGfIb.jpg

Edited by AntsDakota, March 1 2020 - 8:02 AM.

• Ants4fun and TennesseeAnts like this

#18 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 21 2020 - 4:39 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Hey hey! I hope you love the colony and that it grows into a huge colony!(i really did love that colony :D )

#19 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 21 2020 - 4:46 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

may the honey be with them

• AntsDakota, DDD101DDD and Ants_Dakota like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#20 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 21 2020 - 4:49 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

may the honey be with them

:lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users