• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants_Dakota's General Ant Journal(Hibernation issues and experiments in South Dakota)

ants_dakota south dakota south dakotan ants ant journal formica montana camponotus novaeboracensis camponotus pennsalvanicus lasius americanus aphaenogaster rudis myrmica americana formica

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#101 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 10 2020 - 4:34 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Still not reliable. You'd need to look at the hairs on their gasters, antennae, and heads, and perhaps the petiole (not sure if that's relevant in Formica, but important with many other genera), as well as counting antennal segments, measuring mouthparts, eyes, areas of the face, etc.

The clypeus is a good place to look when determining species, too.
  • AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

#102 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 10 2020 - 4:36 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Still not reliable. You'd need to look at the hairs on their gasters, antennae, and heads, and perhaps the petiole (not sure if that's relevant in Formica, but important with many other genera), as well as counting antennal segments, measuring mouthparts, eyes, areas of the face, etc.

That is a part of the face, I was just generalizing by 'areas of the face', as other facial features may be used as well.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#103 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 10 2020 - 4:37 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

That is a part of the face, I was just generalizing by 'areas of the face', as other facial features may be used as well.

Oh okay. Cuz the clypeus is the best.
  • AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

#104 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 10 2020 - 4:40 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

You're probably right.  ;)

• TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#105 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 29 2020 - 3:54 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

September 29th, 2020, Update #6

A long due update...

also, this is only some of my species. the others coming soon.

Aphaenogaster rudis

Doing great, although i will need to move them into a new nest. They have tons of eggs and larvae. there was not enough light for good pics...

P1050001.JPG

P1050002.JPG

P1050004.JPG

Camponotus novaeboracensis

Definitely my favorite colony, they have 14 workers and maybe 10-12 larvae and a few eggs.

P1050005.JPG

P1050006.JPG

Camponotus pennsalvanicus

Lost all of her workers, but she does have larvae and eggs and is super fat, so hopefully she will make it.

P1050007.JPG

Formica Sp.

Unknown formica species. still need help identifying. They are not doing the best, but will hopefully do better next year. they have 5 queens.

P1050008.JPG

P1050009.JPG

P1050010.JPG

P1050011.JPG

Myrmica americana(For Sale!)

I have a 2 queen colony and a 1 queen colony for sale. These are great beginner ants. They have an awesome red color, and are large for myrmica around here.

P1050012.JPG

P1050013.JPG

Tetramorium immigrans(For Sale!)

Another great beginner species, i have 3 of these available. they grow really fast and are almost immune to dying!

P1050014.JPG

The other colonies will come soon!

• ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#106 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 6 2020 - 4:36 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

put all of my ant colonies into hibernation, except for the tetramorium. good luck ants on your long rest!

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#107 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 7 2020 - 6:50 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

October 7th, 2020, Update #6.5

This is the other ants i have not talked about yet.

Formica montana

Still has only 1 nanitic, and the queen just ate her large larvae because winter is close. They are going into hibernation.

Lasius americanus

I tried to move them into a new nest, but that did not work and most of the workers died. i only have the queen and maybe 50 workers and brood left. i plan on putting a parasitic lasius into there next year.

That is basically all i have left after the first post. this has not been a super good ant keeping year for me. no lasius, solenopsis, formica, or crematogaster queens found this year.

• AntsDakota likes this

#108 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 17 2020 - 10:11 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

just want to note that this year was a terrible year for ant keeping in South Dakota. 0 formica queens even though i was outside more than ever and was in the EXACT SAME PLACE!!! also, lasius count: 0. first year i have never caught any of them. first year any of the most active ant keepers in South Dakota have not even seen their flight. and i was hoping to so some tests about lasius with them. only caught tetramorium this year. i was lucky to go to the Black Hills and get 3 species of Camponotus, as they are not super common in Sioux Falls. still, this was the worst year ever, and i hope it never happens like this again.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#109 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 1 2020 - 11:58 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Mini Update 12/1-New Hibernation Location!

So i was suspicious of the Styrofoam cooler i was using to keep my ants warm in the garage, so i found myself something similar to this https://www.taylorus...oor-thermometer

it is amazing, allowing me to remotely monitor my ants temp in the garage from my room, without me disturbing or letting out hot air from their setup. that is, if there was any hot air, which there wasn't. the cooler was doing little but slowing down the cooling of the ants(as i believe ANTdrew told me it would do. why didn't i listen to him!). anyway i moved it inside and settled on this really cool system to keep my ants cold until i get a heating cable. i am adding ice packs into the cooler every day, while removing and freezing the ones that have melted. this is keeping the temp from 39-59, which is exactly where i want it! the heating cable will be helpful, still, as it takes a lot of remembering to replace the ice every day. but it works for now!

Edited by Ants_Dakota, December 1 2020 - 12:02 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and Devi like this

#110 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 1 2020 - 12:54 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

December 1st, 2020, Update #7

The only ants i still have up are Tetramorium immigrans, i have 2 colonies with workers and one dud. no idea what to do with the dud, but the 2 other colonies are in my shop. they are not developing much, which makes sense, but i am looking forward to when they start to take off.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#111 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 7 2020 - 6:56 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

December 7th, 2020, Update #8

Tetramorium update!!!

My 3 colonies of tetramorium are doing great! here are pics of 2 of them!

look at those large larvae! i hope they lay more eggs soon!

P1050074.JPG

P1050079.JPG

#112 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 8 2020 - 5:52 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

December 8th, 2020, Update #9

Well, i removed 4 of my ant colonies from hibernation for a second to get a quick pic of them, and to make sure they are thriving. here they are!

Formica montana

this queen and her 1 nanitic are doing fine. i just hope they can raise at least 1 worker together before the nanitic dies.

P1050080.JPG

Unknown Formica

These girls are doing fine. i hope they have an explosion of brood after winter!

P1050081.JPG

Camponotus pennsalvanicus

This queen had 2 nanitics, but they died somehow, so i am trying to get her to workers again.

P1050082.JPG

Camponotus novaeboracensis

These ants stuffed their queen into their outworld exit port! no idea how the queen can fit in there, but whatever...

P1050083.JPG

What does everyone think about the editing i am doing to the pictures? 

also, i am thinking of splitting my journal up into separate journals for my ants. does that sound good?

• Devi likes this

#113 Offline Devi - Posted December 8 2020 - 5:57 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado
Wow, those pics are really good. Love those formica and Camponotus! I think it would be cool to have seperate journals for sure! Whatever your preference is I'd say...
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#114 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 8 2020 - 6:01 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Wow, those pics are really good. Love those formica and Camponotus! I think it would be cool to have separate journals for sure! Whatever your preference is I'd say...

thanks! i think so too. the next update i will do will be about each specific species. this will just be my general journal for general updates.

• Devi likes this

#115 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 5 2021 - 9:23 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

So are they back in hibernation now? I would also like to see separate journals for each species.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#116 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted January 5 2021 - 12:07 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

So are they back in hibernation now? I would also like to see separate journals for each species.

i will begin right now!

#117 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted June 22 2021 - 10:29 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

June 22, 2021, Update #8

Formica Sp. I have finally gotten growth out of these guys! After a year of just ants dying, things are starting to look up! They have maybe 20 ants, 10 pupa, and maybe 50 eggs. Pics soon, maybe?

Formica montana - Just 1 still, after the old nanitic died. I am trying to help them grow, but it is hard. The queen just does not lay many eggs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants_dakota, south dakota, south dakotan ants, ant journal, formica montana, camponotus novaeboracensis, camponotus pennsalvanicus, lasius americanus, aphaenogaster rudis, myrmica americana, formica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users