• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SoDak (Society of Dakotan Ant Keepers) Official Ant Keeping Thread

ant keeping south dakota camponotus formica lasius solenopsis molesta aphaenogaster tetramorium pogonomyrmex occidentalis myrmica ponera brachymyrmex

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#121 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 19 2020 - 6:15 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Wondering if Tetramorium will fly in the next few days.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#122 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 20 2020 - 5:00 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Wondering if Tetramorium will fly in the next few days.

Found a queen today.
  • Thunder_Birds likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#123 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 20 2020 - 7:09 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

And I’m assuming you found dorymyrmex in west SD?

No, I've found a couple colonies in my yard, and have found a few queens (all infertile) during the last couple years. I know they're Dorymyrmex, and they're a dark grey, so I call them D. insanus, as it is several species, yet to be determined.

These were both Tapinoma and Nylanderia. Sorry...........
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#124 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 4 2020 - 1:23 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

It's going to be in the 90s most of this week. Doesn't seem to be optimal flying conditions, but who knows. If anything, more Tetras will fly.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#125 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 4 2020 - 1:51 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Hoping to go on a few anting trips in the next couple weeks.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#126 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 16 2020 - 10:25 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Formica should have their main flights soon. However, Ants_Dakota and I haven't found any queens to this date. Thunder_Birds did find a queen a couple weeks ago, but she was probably just an early flyer. 

#127 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 10 2020 - 12:09 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Unfortunately I believe we missed Formica flights this year.  :( Kinda bummed about that, but Lasius, Solenopsis molesta, Ponera pennsylvanica, Brachymyrmex depilis, Myrmica, and Aphaenogaster should all be flying soon!

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#128 Offline Ants4fun - Posted August 10 2020 - 12:39 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Seems like Formica don’t tend to fly too far away from their nests. Males mostly come to them. Hopefully that helps
  • AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

#129 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 21 2020 - 4:37 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Saw a Ponera pennsylvanica male yesterday.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#130 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 22 2020 - 6:28 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Saw a Ponera pennsylvanica male yesterday.

When are their normal flights? Here in MI a female fell/landed on my arm and then flew away last month. I was so confused.

#131 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 22 2020 - 7:54 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Here they fly around the same time as Lasius neoniger, around Labor Day in the late afternoon through the evenings.

#132 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 8 2020 - 9:21 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Hoping for lasius to fly soon!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#133 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 14 2020 - 3:32 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Myrmica Americana flight! I just caught 8 queens! also saw a lasius neoniger queen and a shiny black queen about the size of lasius that i dropped. :*(  :*(  :*( I had never seen that kind before, which makes it even more sad.

• ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#134 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 14 2020 - 5:41 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I saw a Lasius claviger colony having their flights yesterday. 

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#135 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 15 2020 - 5:05 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Hopefully we can catch them!

#136 Offline amerikansturm - Posted September 24 2020 - 12:58 PM

amerikansturm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationRapid City, SD

Hi guys! I'm new here and new to formiculture but I've been watching YouTube videos for a while (mostly AntsCanada) and decided it would be cool to get into. I captured a couple of queens early last week and did the typical test tube set up. I believe they are Lasius Neoniger (I'm in Pierre if that helps with the identification) and I've been reading that they need hibernation. So I have questions about that. How should I do that, when should I start it and for how long?

• AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

There are four things which are little on the earth,
But they are exceedingly wise:
The ants are a people not strong,
Yet they prepare their food in the summer

Proverbs 30:24-25 NKJV

#137 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 24 2020 - 1:25 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I captured a couple of queens early last week and did the typical test tube set up. I believe they are Lasius Neoniger (I'm in Pierre if that helps with the identification) and I've been reading that they need hibernation. So I have questions about that. How should I do that, when should I start it and for how long?

Well for starters, neoniger will not rear their first workers before hibernation in temperate regions, and will lay come spring. Being South Dakota I would recommend sticking them in a refrigerator or a cooler in your garage starting in early to mid October up through early March (you could technically go through April, but taking them out in March is fine). 

• Ants_Dakota and amerikansturm like this

#138 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 25 2020 - 5:13 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Hi guys! I'm new here and new to formiculture but I've been watching YouTube videos for a while (mostly AntsCanada) and decided it would be cool to get into. I captured a couple of queens early last week and did the typical test tube set up. I believe they are Lasius Neoniger (I'm in Pierre if that helps with the identification) and I've been reading that they need hibernation. So I have questions about that. How should I do that, when should I start it and for how long?

And welcome to Formiculture! We love new south dakotans joining us! Check out my shop for south dakotans if you are interested in buying any species! https://www.formicul...ds/#entry162039

• amerikansturm likes this

#139 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 25 2020 - 5:55 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I captured a couple of queens early last week and did the typical test tube set up. I believe they are Lasius Neoniger (I'm in Pierre if that helps with the identification) and I've been reading that they need hibernation. So I have questions about that. How should I do that, when should I start it and for how long?

Well for starters, neoniger will not rear their first workers before hibernation in temperate regions, and will lay come spring. Being South Dakota I would recommend sticking them in a refrigerator or a cooler in your garage starting in early to mid October up through early March (you could technically go through April, but taking them out in March is fine). 

Ha! That's what you think! My L. neoniger are already getting their first nanitics!  :lol:

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#140 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 25 2020 - 6:24 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Ha! That's what you think! My L. neoniger are already getting their first nanitics!  :lol:

I have found that they will usually get their nanitics before winter only if you put them in a dirt setup, which i would recommend to amerikanstrum.

• amerikansturm likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant keeping, south dakota, camponotus, formica, lasius, solenopsis molesta, aphaenogaster, tetramorium, pogonomyrmex occidentalis, myrmica, ponera, brachymyrmex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users