• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

OhNoNotAgain's Prenolepis, Liometopum, RIP Myrmecocystus mexicanus, added Preno vidoes

145 replies to this topic

#141 Offline ArcaneAnt - Posted July 11 2022 - 1:19 PM

ArcaneAnt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

oo, ahh

Edited by ArcaneAnt, July 11 2022 - 1:20 PM.

#142 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted March 22 2023 - 2:33 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Welllll lost my Myrmecocystus …. I will say the pots seemed EXTREMELY sensitive to what might be trace chemicals or something else in their environment.

Prenos - I still have a few from 2022. I was planning to do an experiment where I added new queens to existing colonies. However, this year (2023) they flew in March thanks to extreme California rainy weather, rather than the January or February of the last few years, and I pretty much missed the flights (though I knew they were happening because I saw a couple lost males). I caught one queen that sadly died within a couple days.

Lios are still okay so far (pic below).

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, March 22 2023 - 5:27 PM.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#143 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted March 22 2023 - 3:34 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Lios were all bunched up in just 2-3 chambers most of the winter, but today I fed them (cooked bugs I froze months ago, plus a refill of their sugar water), put water into their water towers, refilled their water nestmate, and now they are very excited and have spread out to occupy all available space. Sort of like ant diffusion.

50779F73-0553-4398-B0AB-158BA80141C9.jpeg

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, March 22 2023 - 5:30 PM.

• AntsCali098 likes this

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Tetramorium sp.

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

#144 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted March 23 2023 - 4:49 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
Lios don’t mind direct early evening sunlight.
In fact, they love the heat. See them crowd into the water towers and enjoy the warmth.

Sunlight is striking the wall at the bottom of this photo.

6C845476-5276-47FE-AE39-CF6D4AE700FC.jpeg
  • ANTdrew, UtahAnts, antsriondel and 1 other like this

Tetramorium sp.

#145 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted April 3 2023 - 1:01 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
I’m not always the brightest bulb around. For example, I knew my Prenolepis have problems. (Have failed with them at least 2-3 years in a row, generally in the second year).I knew they need a really dark and quiet place for queens to start laying. But yet I’ve generally treated them to only partial darkness once they are established. Then I have the nerve to complain that they refuse to move out of their test tubes and so on.

Well, some days ago I put my dual Preno colony (two separate test tubes of one colony each, sharing an outworld) in the same padded drawer I put test tubes in to start them.

I opened it up today and one colony had moved out and into the other test tube.
I guess they just don’t feel comfortable unless in pitch darkness.

Photo of deserted test tube and the new combined group. And I think their casters are more stuffed than before. Note to self: FULL DARKNESS for Prenos.

IMG_5875.jpeg

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, April 3 2023 - 1:03 PM.

• AntsCali098 likes this

Tetramorium sp.

#146 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted March 28 2024 - 6:51 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

I have a whole bunch of Prenolepis videos at this point, on catching them, and now a check of my oldest Preno colony (entering its 3rd year).

Also, Liometopum made a quick cameo in my ant size video. I'll post a bunch of links to the Preno (and semi-Lio) videos:

Catching Prenolepis (2 years ago, 2022)

Catching Prenolepis (2024)

AFTER a Preno flight it's sad (2024)

Checking on Prenolepis after 2 years and after 2 months.

Includes some simple care instructions for Prenolepis.

Ant sizes matter, featuring Liometopum occidentale as well as Camponotus laevigatus

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, March 28 2024 - 7:20 PM.

• TacticalHandleGaming, futurebird and rptraut like this

Tetramorium sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users