• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello: I am rick new to the forum

question about temperature

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ricky - Posted February 7 2020 - 3:15 PM

Ricky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

hello:  my name is Rick.  brand new to the forum.  I live in Connecticut and have been raising a colony from a single queen since last spring.

Since around last Oct. the ant larva (200+) have not been maturing and making a cocoon.  The temperature in the house is kept between 70-72 degrees.  I am at a loss.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

• Somethinghmm likes this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 7 2020 - 4:29 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Welcome to the forum and this crazy hobby, Rick. I don’t know what species you have, but it sure sounds like they are trying to hibernate.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Ricky - Posted February 7 2020 - 4:50 PM

Ricky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks for the comment.  Though I have been interested in, and collecting ants for 65 years, I am not up on ant species.  I should start learning.

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 7 2020 - 5:49 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Yeah those ants you have should be in hibernation. Just put em in the fridge for about 2 months and the brood should start developing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users