• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants4fun's Ants and Stuff... (5-6-2020)

south dakota pogonomyrmex occidentalis camponotus pennsylvanicus

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants4fun - Posted February 6 2020 - 11:30 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Here is my journal of 2 colonies for now. I’ve kept probably close to a hundred colonies these past years, and occasionally it just gets too much, and I need a break from the hobby. Moderation is key haha. :yes: So this year I’m holding myself accountable, and not biting off more than I can chew. I start from humble beginnings of just 2 colonies awaken from hibernation. There story starts here:

February 6th 2020 - Colonies taken out of hibernation

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

I acquired this queen from a forum member last summer. Coincidentally I took a trip immediately after to the western part of South Dakota. The western part of South Dakota is arid and has deserts and dry forests with completely different ants dominating the region. Many areas have massive colonies of Pogonomyrmex occidentalis. Wanting to give my queen a head start, I collected some brood and workers from around 5 different colonies. Interestingly enough, once I arrived back to Sioux Falls, none of the workers were aggressive with each other. I assume with so many different cuticular hydrocarbons and pheromones, the workers couldn’t effectively tell who was friend or foe. The nests were also in close proximity, so it is possible that played a factor.

Unfortunately, most workers wanted nothing to do with my queen, so I gathered the pupae and callow workers with the queen inside a mini hearth, and let the rest go. I put them in hibernation in October. I put my colonies at pretty cool temperatures, because South Dakota gets pretty cold in the winter, so without cold enough temperatures, I’m not sure they would go into true hibernation. So, in they went at around 35 degrees Fahrenheit.

Unfortunately for the last 1.5 months I’ve been gone on vacation. So, there were quite a few losses. But it’s not too bad. In fact, it might be a good process to cull the weakest ants now and then, as uncontrolled colony growth isn’t exactly natural. They have predators as well. But, topic for another conversation. This colony has about 100 workers. Most are pretty lightly colored, not getting too much sunlight in the mini fridge during winter, and going in as callows. I am housing them in a petri dish formicarium from Miles’ video on the ant network. If you haven’t seen it, watch it here:

D27335BE E091 4B49 B103 0878BFD4ADEE

I love this formicarium. It is super easy to make, it makes great use of space, and there is great visibility. Only downside is that it isn’t really a desktop or showpiece formicarium, but it works great for my purposes. (y)

DFA7FA8A 36B5 4230 A4EE 146E22BC757B

8421337F B1C9 494C B6D9 171F86528A70

FD5AF566 8880 41BC 9701 50B06F20FAB2

0E6B7FCD 1D81 4A78 B457 C225F2C569F4

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

I aquired this queen last spring, and she raised a nice set of nanitics. 2 more queens did the same. Unfortunately, they died in hibernation, so I gave their nanitics to this colony during hibernation. I guess they all got along because I don't see any fighting. This colony starts this spring with around 25 workers and no brood. I also have them in a petri dish nest, and they seem to enjoy it. Camponotus pennsylvanicus has been close to my heart, one of the first species I've kept. Hopefully they get to around 200 workers this year. :)

023CC144 2565 4FAB 98A3 5C6FFE394EB7

D0A964D2 5A8A 45E2 B069 B0E921D7F1E1

26260C8C 6A1C 4F5B 8A94 6FDB6F744FEB

Edited by Ants4fun, May 6 2020 - 7:17 AM.

• FeedTheAnts, Karma, AntsBC and 4 others like this

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted February 7 2020 - 1:17 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Really nice pictures.
  • Ants4fun likes this

#3 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 7 2020 - 3:06 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

yeah, tel me how their growth is as i'm curious on weather or not I should make a formicarium like that for my founding queen... 

• jushi likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#4 Offline Ants4fun - Posted February 7 2020 - 8:27 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

I just created this journal yesterday, but a couple noteworthy things happened. I'm trying to keep this journal pretty detailed, so there will probably be quite a few updates. 

2-7-2020

Pogonomymex occidentalis

IMG 3226 (2)

IMG 2695

IMG 2447 (2)

These guys have really perked up since yesterday. They are much more skittish, and seemed antsy to get out there petri dish setup.

(Note the bite marks below)

IMG 2825

So yesterday I made them an outworld. It's just a simple container with a hydrostone bottom, and a hole with a grommet to hold an extra test tube for water. I lost a few colonies due to dehydration in some THA setups, so from now on, I'm trying let my colonies have a constant access to a large water source at all times.

IMG 2818

Today I left in 2 different types of Byformica feeding stations to which type they prefer. It looks like they prefer the larger one. Even the queen came out for a drink.

IMG 2994

I also left a piece of cricket and a small dubia roach. The roach seems to be there preference. Now I just need to get them in the dark and hope they lay eggs.

IMG 3264

One thing to note, this is a pretty largish sized colony for this petri dish setup. I think people realize the hazards of too large of a nest, but I've noticed poor colony health when given too small of nests. Perhaps the ants can't effectively 'sanatize' there environment with so many ants in there. So, I picked up a wedding card container from micheals for $20 and an old firebrick I had lying around. I'll update the build on this thread as well, but probably won't move the colony until they have a decent amount of brood at least. 

IMG 3276

This colony perked up as well. I gave them an outworld I made out of another petri dish. I gave them a piece of cricket, which they haven't touched, and some sunburst, which they of course love. These guys are pretty chill. I'm hoping for some good growth out of them as well. I also have special plans for these guys formicarium wise, but I'll wait until they get a little larger. 

IMG 2550

IMG 2555

IMG 2565

Lasius neoniger

Awoke a few Lasius neoniger queens out of hibernation. I had a pretty decent sized colony, but unfortunately they died in a THA setup. Unfortunately, those setups just can't be left longer than a week without hydration. That's probably on me (Should have had a test tube connected), but I need a setup that can preferably go a couple weeks without hydration, especially during hibernation when they aren't checked up on as often.

These queens are still pretty lethargic, but otherwise doing good. None have laid eggs. I'll probably only keep one colony of this species, and may boost them during summer, as this is pretty much the most common species in SD, and would like at least one colony for display purposes.

IMG 3101 (2)

Edited by Ants4fun, February 7 2020 - 8:27 PM.

• drtrmiller, Nare, ANTdrew and 2 others like this

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 8 2020 - 2:59 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
This journal is already exemplary! Sorry about the neonigers; I was actually wondering how your old colony was doing. I’m trying to found a queen at the moment.
  • Ants4fun likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 8 2020 - 1:59 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

you take some amazing pictures what camera do you use?

• Ants4fun likes this

#7 Offline Ants4fun - Posted February 8 2020 - 3:45 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

you take some amazing pictures what camera do you use?

Thanks. Just got it 2 days ago. Just an entry level dslr. A canon T5i and a sigma 105 macro lens. Like $500 total on eBay.

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 8 2020 - 4:01 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

First of all, I love this journal, and I love that it features South Dakotan ants, and second, did the forum member who sold them to you specify how and where he acquired them? If he found them under a rock, I might just try to find some next time I head for the 'Hills.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#9 Offline Ants4fun - Posted February 8 2020 - 5:04 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

He is from Ohio I think. He just found a queen. I introduced several callows from adult colonies last summer. You can probably catch a flight if you go after a rainstorm late July.

First of all, I love this journal, and I love that it features South Dakotan ants, and second, did the forum member who sold them to you specify how and where he acquired them? If he found them under a rock, I might just try to find some next time I head for the 'Hills.

Edited by Ants4fun, February 8 2020 - 5:06 PM.

#10 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 10 2020 - 12:37 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

pogonomyrmex is not found in Ohio naturally, he probably got them from someone else if he was in Ohio

#11 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 10 2020 - 4:14 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

pogonomyrmex is not found in Ohio naturally, he probably got them from someone else if he was in Ohio

I believe he meant he was traveling through South Dakota at the time, and gave them to Ants4Fun. They're native.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#12 Offline Ants4fun - Posted February 10 2020 - 5:10 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

I believe he meant he was traveling through South Dakota at the time, and gave them to Ants4Fun. They're native.

I apologise, we was from California. It’s @Derpy. Idk why I said Ohio lol. He shipped me the queen, since it’s legal now.

#13 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 10 2020 - 6:05 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Two things; 

1). I had a colony die when they were too cramped-so thanks for confirming it to make sure I wasn't deranged. 

2). If you wonder why I keep Camponotus pennsylvanicus., look at their beautiful jet black color and perfectly placed golden hair on their gastors-it's stunning! Even Formica has a hard time looking that good!

• Ants4fun likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#14 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 11 2020 - 12:33 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

my formica incerta look way cooler, but i do like the goldy butt pennsylvanicus

• TennesseeAnts and DDD101DDD like this

#15 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 14 2020 - 2:51 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

The housing the pogonomyrmex is in is really stunning. I need to build one for myself.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#16 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 14 2020 - 2:55 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

my formica incerta look way cooler, but i do like the goldy butt pennsylvanicus

Red? Really? Ok Sagittarius.

#17 Offline Ants4fun - Posted February 14 2020 - 11:47 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

2-15-2020

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Changes came rather quickly with this colony. I noticed over the course of the week how easily they  were disturbed at any light, vibration, or air current. They frenzied in panic and evacuated their nest at the slightest disturbance. The queen didn’t lay eggs at all either. This colony is a fairly decent size, so they almost had to be displayed, but in a way so that they could feel more comfortable and thrive. 

I thought about this ahead, and tried to purchase a dirtshack from dspdrew, but the size I would need is sold out with an unknown waiting period. I decided to imitate his vase build from a vase from Michaels instead. I purchased several vases and a pvc riser. The 4” PVC riser was more like 4 and a half inches in diameter. The vase was 6. This left about ¾” on any side of the PVC for the ants to nest in. I poured hydrostone at the bottom of the vase, then coated the PVC with hydrostone, and poured sand over it. By this moment I realized I forgot to account for the initial hydrostone pouring when measuring out my PVC segment, and as a result, there isn’t much wiggle room between the top of the dirt and top of the vase. That means I will regularly be taking out dirt as they dig (I might also have to make a top). 

IMG 3476

I also bought a PVC top and installed a screw cap vial with one end sawed off. I filled the PVC riser with sand and dirt, and capped it. I then added a sand/dirt mix, and it was ready for ants (Don't mind my messy desk).

IMG 3480

Here is a little video of me adding the ants to their new setup the evening of February 12th:

https://www.youtube....h?v=kf9cl3ZD2Bk

They were freaking out for most of the night. They finally started to build some tunnels by morning. Then, they spend the whole day building tunnels on the 13th, and are continuing to by the 15th. Here they are at work digging tunnels:

IMG 3511

(Quick side note - I guess I didn't notice, but he front left queen's leg is inoperable. I turned black and she can't use it. Looking back at previous pictures I guess it has always been like that and I haven't noticed).

IMG 3523

IMG 3526

IMG 3697

IMG 3712

IMG 3810

A really interesting story, most of the tunnels as of late are done by this ‘disabled’ ant. With a dented head and gaster, he still does most of the work.

IMG 3816

Although the younglings help him along as well.

IMG 3772

IMG 3797

To help to encourage them to build along the glass I covered it in a black t shirt and a heating pad. It worked ok. There are several tunnels I can see. I'm hoping as they grow more, they will burrow more towards the glass..

IMG 3842

IMG 3848

One thing to note - they have rejected poppy seeds. I ordered some Pogonomyrmex seed mix from dspdrew, so we'll see how they like it when it comes in. They have eaten a bit of cricket though. More updates to come! And now to construct a lid so they don't all escape and sting me in the middle of the night.

Unfortunately, this colony won't be in my possesion much longer. They are being sold to AntsDakota, so he may choose to continue the journal if he chooses.
On another note, one of the queens I thought was dead (Moved her nanitics with main colony) turned out to be alive. So, when spring comes, I'll boost her with pupae from a mature colony! Goodbye for now.
IMG 3856

Lasius neoniger

Giving 2 queens to AntsDakota. One remaining queen has eggs.

Edited by Ants4fun, February 15 2020 - 1:16 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#18 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 15 2020 - 2:31 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Cool vase, but, yeah, they’re going to pile dirt right up on out of there. I had this happen with my Tetramorium mega-colony, to my wife’s delight. The difficulty I ran into with scooping out dirt is that hundreds of workers were mixed in each spoonful. I basically have to give up on the colony once they wake up from diapause.
Also, your dented worker is a she, not a he, right?
  • AdamL likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#19 Offline Ants4fun - Posted February 15 2020 - 9:10 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Cool vase, but, yeah, they’re going to pile dirt right up on out of there. I had this happen with my Tetramorium mega-colony, to my wife’s delight. The difficulty I ran into with scooping out dirt is that hundreds of workers were mixed in each spoonful. I basically have to give up on the colony once they wake up from diapause.
Also, your dented worker is a she, not a he, right?

I’ve been able to keep on top of it so far. Keeps me honest about checking them. And yes, technically “he” is a “she”.

#20 Offline Ants4fun - Posted February 15 2020 - 12:32 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Just a quick update after the move - I’m confident I made the right decision. They started collecting poppy seeds, and enjoyed a large cricket. With the heat mat, they are super hungry, and taking in a lot of food. I also now see a giant pile of eggs inside one of the chambers. Really excited for growth from this colony. Expect weekly updates!

IMG 4101
IMG 4050
IMG 3996
IMG 3995

Edited by Ants4fun, February 15 2020 - 1:18 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: south dakota, pogonomyrmex occidentalis, camponotus pennsylvanicus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users