• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Boog's Bug Books

books ants book ant

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Boog - Posted January 31 2020 - 9:12 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Felicatations, fellow formiculture folk! I thought I'd share my ant library and will hopefully update with pics, thoughts/review, and more ant books to come. I've read some of these and slowly making my way through them while some of the complex ones I use more as reference. For an entry suggestion, I would check out Journey to the Ants, Adventures Among Ants, Secret Lives of Ants, or Dr. Eleanor's Book of Common Ants. I saw a couple threads about books suggestion and ANTdrew's post so thought I'd compile mine: https://www.formicul...s/?fromsearch=1

There's a NEW book I'm excited for, comes out Feb 4th called Desert Navigator: The Journey of an Ant by Rüdiger Wehner about Cataglyphis desert ants that's 400 pages! Will update when that comes out.

THE LIST:

Agosti, Donat and Jonathan D. Majer, Leeanne E. Alonso & Ted R. Schultz. Ants: Standard Methods for Measuring and Monitoring Biodiversity. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 2000.

Bolton, Barry. Identification Guide to the Ant Genera of the World. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University Press, 1994.

Choe, Jae. Secret Lives of Ants. Baltimore, Maryland: The John Hopkins University Press, 1999.

Fisher, Brian L. and Stefan P. Cover. Ants of North America: A Guide to the Genera. Berkeley and Los Angeles, California: University of California Press, 2007.

Klotz, John and Laurel D. Hansen. Carpenter Ants of the United States and Canada. New York: Cornell University Press, 2005.

Klotz, John and Laurel D. Hansen, Reiner Pospischil & Michael Rust. Urban Ants of North America and Europe: Identification, Biology, and Management. New York: Cornell University Press, 2008.

Hayes, Angela. Ant Farms - Ultimate Formicarium Handbook: Detailed Step-by-Step Guide on Setting Up a Thriving Ant Colony. Delaware: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2018.

Hölldobler, Bert and Edward O. Wilson. The Ants. Cambridge, Massachusetts: The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 1990.

Hölldobler, Bert and Edward O. Wilson. Journey to the Ants: A Story of Scientific Exploration. Cambridge, Massachusetts: The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 1994.

Hölldobler, Bert and Edward O. Wilson. The Leafcutter Ants: Civilization by Instinct. New York: W. W. Norton & Company, 2011.

Hölldobler, Bert and Edward O. Wilson. The Superorganism: The Beauty, Elegance, and Strangeness of Insect Societies. New York: W. W. Norton & Company, 2009.

Luckhurst, Tori. Ant Farms - Ant Farms Guide: Ant Farms and Raising Colonies of Ants as Pets. USA: Zoodoo Publishing, 2017.

Moffett, Mark W. Adventures Among Ants: A Global Safari with a Cast of Trillions. Berkeley and Los Angeles, California: University of California Press, 2010.

Rice, Eleanor Spicer and Rob Dunn. Dr. Eleanor’s Book of Common Ants. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 2017.

Tschinkel, Walter R. The Fire Ants. Cambridge, Massachusetts: First Harvard University Press, 2006.

Wilson, Edward O. and José M. Gómez Durán. Kingdom of Ants: José Celestino Mutis and the Dawn of Natural History in the New World. Baltimore, Maryland: The John Hopkins University Press, 2010.

Edited by Boog, February 1 2020 - 12:14 AM.

• Ferox_Formicae and ANTdrew like this
My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 1 2020 - 11:17 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Nice, man! I definitely want to look into the Desert Navigator book and the Fire Ants book.

A superb book I just finished is Buzz Sting Bite by Anne Sverdrup-Thygeson. It's a fun read about all insects in general.

Edited by ANTdrew, February 1 2020 - 11:17 AM.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 1 2020 - 11:19 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

interesting title lol, but sounds interesting...

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 1 2020 - 11:51 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Originally published in Norwegian, so go figure.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 1 2020 - 11:53 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

lol

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: books, ants, book, ant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users