• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Bay Area, CA, USA 1/30/20 Ant Queen ID Request

id queen

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline rcbuggy88 - Posted January 30 2020 - 5:12 PM

rcbuggy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

My ideas are Tetramorium, monomorium, and argentines

1. Palo Alto, CA, USA

2. Today 1/30/20 ~4:30 pm

3. Side walk next to someones front lawn

4. ~3.5 mm

5. Entirely black

6. didn't see a petiole but i don't have a microscope. 2 pokey thingys at the end of the gaster (see in photo)

7. taps its middle legs, probably the same species that live in my backyard which have many queens. pretty small, nest under pavement and under buildings. Sometimes see big clumps of ants during the summer (with no cover on the sidewalk). 

8. N/A

9. N/A

Attached Images

• CE09450F-80A0-4844-B7F7-E5A01CA71AB2.jpeg
  • DF061526-BEE1-47D0-96C5-3A1486412926.jpeg
  • C9B239BC-F1E2-4E94-B390-9EEE96004234.jpeg

Edited by rcbuggy88, January 30 2020 - 5:13 PM.

My Shop     :D  :iamsohappy:  :dance3:  :yahoo:

Currently Keeping: Camponotus clarithorax, Camponotus hyatti, Tetramorium immigransNylanderia vividula, Liometopum occidentaleCamponotus modoc, Zootermopsis sp.

Wanted: Acromyrmex versicolor, Myrmecocystus sp., Camponotus us-ca02 (vibrant red not dull orange), Prenolepis imparis, Anything else I don't have lol...

Kept Before: Solenopsis molesta, Prenolepis imparis (still got one, but infertile)

#2 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 30 2020 - 5:15 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Looks like a male, probably Prenolepis imparis.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#3 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 30 2020 - 5:16 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

does look like a male to me

#4 Offline rcbuggy88 - Posted January 30 2020 - 5:22 PM

rcbuggy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Oh, you're probably right, it looks exactly like the Prenolepis imparis male (googled it). Does this mean that I should be able to find a Prenolepis imparis queen closeby? After they mate, do queens just hang out wherever or do they immediately start digging their founding chambers. Would I find a queen on the sidewalk, or would I want to go find some oak trees. Weather was light rain yesterday, and warm today maybe low 70s

Currently Keeping: Camponotus clarithorax, Camponotus hyatti, Tetramorium immigransNylanderia vividula, Liometopum occidentaleCamponotus modoc, Zootermopsis sp.

Wanted: Acromyrmex versicolor, Myrmecocystus sp., Camponotus us-ca02 (vibrant red not dull orange), Prenolepis imparis, Anything else I don't have lol...

Kept Before: Solenopsis molesta, Prenolepis imparis (still got one, but infertile)

#5 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 30 2020 - 5:47 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
You would probably want to go to the edge of a forest. They typically have huge mating swarms and you can find queens wandering around on the ground underneath them.

#6 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted January 30 2020 - 7:14 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Stanford's Jasper Ridge is home to some well-studied Prenolepis....

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#7 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 30 2020 - 7:42 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

If you don't catch nuptials, that's generally the end of the road. Check out nearby areas with pools of water and workers.

#8 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 9 2020 - 9:21 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Prenolepis in the bay fly until april, so don’t give up! I haven’t seen a sizeable flight yet either...

#9 Offline rcbuggy88 - Posted February 9 2020 - 5:40 PM

rcbuggy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I found 4 but two died and the others haven't layed eggs yet and one of them still has its wings :(

Attached Images

• 14DC057D-83E8-4E9B-9CF2-F19E615FA651.jpeg

Edited by rcbuggy88, February 9 2020 - 5:41 PM.

#10 Offline rcbuggy88 - Posted February 9 2020 - 5:44 PM

rcbuggy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

@YsTheAnt what do you mean by forests? (I'm a kid) and you can see the mating swarms? How many times do you have to go out in ordered to find these mating swarms? Do you have any specific anting spots? (coordinates)

Edited by rcbuggy88, February 9 2020 - 5:50 PM.

#11 Offline JenC - Posted February 9 2020 - 5:53 PM

JenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California
Forests, like areas with a lot of trees. Like sometimes if you're at a place during the right time you can see a bunch of little fly like things together in a swarm. How many times u look depends on if you're lucky or not.

Edited by JenC, February 9 2020 - 5:54 PM.

Current Colonies:
1x Camponotus Vicinus (3 Workers)

Single Queens:
3x Camponotus Clarithorax
4x Camponotus Maritimus
5x Camponotus Ca02
7x Camponotus Sansabeanus
1x Myrmecocustus Testaceus
3x Prenolepis Imparis

#12 Offline rcbuggy88 - Posted February 9 2020 - 5:58 PM

rcbuggy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

How high up will they be? When I found mine, I saw only a couple walking around on the side of a trail, and the trees would block a view of a swarm. Could you give a more exact location? like a point on a map?

#13 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 29 2020 - 8:17 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

How high up will they be? When I found mine, I saw only a couple walking around on the side of a trail, and the trees would block a view of a swarm. Could you give a more exact location? like a point on a map?

Part of the fun of anting is going out and finding your own special anting spots. Explore, have fun!

The swarms are pretty obvious. You will see the males flying anywhere between just inches off the ground to around 15ft high in my experience. They look almost like large gnats. The swarms are present around tall objects, which is why I look in parking lots near forests as the swarms often congregate around large trees in the lot or light poles.

#14 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 1 2020 - 7:59 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

one of them still has its wings :(

That is not an indicator of infertility. Lots of winged queens found successful colonies. And just be patient. This species can be sensitive and needs lots of time in the dark.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#15 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 1 2020 - 1:45 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

imparis are honestly a really hard ant to keep.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: id, queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users