• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Books on Ants for laypersons

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Acshaw89 - Posted January 30 2020 - 5:03 PM

Acshaw89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationOhio
Anyone have any suggestions for a good book about ants in general? Preferably with some color photos? Since I’m a beginner I’m looking for something that is well written for laypersons as I won’t be familiar with a lot of scientific jargon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • ANTdrew likes this

#2 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted January 30 2020 - 5:37 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Ants of North America By Brian L. Fisher is really good. It was my first ever ant book, and I still adore its compact nature and gorgeous visuals, including gorgeous photos of displayed specimens along with a hand drawn key to North American ant genera. It does have a few inaccuracies (mostly with naming), but it still holds up pretty well today.

I don't have this one myself, but I have heard that The Ants by world-renown Myrmecologist Edward O. Wilson is a really good read. It's a little more scientific, but it seems really good for beginners from what I've read.

Peter Slingsby recently sent me a signed copy of his new book, Ants of Southern Africa, and it is just amazing! It's still in it's first stages, and he admits it still has mistakes, but it is certainly amazing, with tons of really unique details. If you have any interest in African ant species, this book is a must read.

This one is a lot more complex, but back in June, James Wetterer sent me Mark Deyrup's Ants of Florida, and let me tell you, I adore this book! Mark Deyrup did absolutely amazing with the plates in this book, and I honestly can't keep my eyes off of them. He draws each ant with meticulous detail and his effort towards this book shows. If you have an interest in the ants of Florida (or southeastern ants in general, as Florida contains many ants that can be found elsewhere in the southeast), I highly recommend this book.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#3 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 30 2020 - 6:07 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

I just received Adventures among Ants by Mark W. Moffett from a friend. It's a pretty great book so far and not overly scientific. I honestly love it.

• Ferox_Formicae and ANTdrew like this

#4 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted January 30 2020 - 7:36 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

You could also get the AntsCanada ant e-book, maybe.

For kids the Uncle Milton booklet is actually not bad, though I think it has a few inaccuracies.

Great question though as I was just wondering about this myself, though thinking more of looking for a book for younger kids along the lines of the Uncle Milton booklet.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 30 2020 - 7:48 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ants of North America By Brian L. Fisher is really good. It was my first ever ant book, and I still adore its compact nature and gorgeous visuals, including gorgeous photos of displayed specimens along with a hand drawn key to North American ant genera. It does have a few inaccuracies (mostly with naming), but it still holds up pretty well today.

I don't have this one myself, but I have heard that The Ants by world-renown Myrmecologist Edward O. Wilson is a really good read. It's a little more scientific, but it seems really good for beginners from what I've read.

Peter Slingsby recently sent me a signed copy of his new book, Ants of Southern Africa, and it is just amazing! It's still in it's first stages, and he admits it still has mistakes, but it is certainly amazing, with tons of really unique details. If you have any interest in African ant species, this book is a must read.

This one is a lot more complex, but back in June, James Wetterer sent me Mark Deyrup's Ants of Florida, and let me tell you, I adore this book! Mark Deyrup did absolutely amazing with the plates in this book, and I honestly can't keep my eyes off of them. He draws each ant with meticulous detail and his effort towards this book shows. If you have an interest in the ants of Florida (or southeastern ants in general, as Florida contains many ants that can be found elsewhere in the southeast), I highly recommend this book.

Peter needs to make a full book. Africa has some really varied diversity.

Not to mention the country is understudied with major information blanks.

• Ferox_Formicae likes this

#6 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 31 2020 - 8:44 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

The Ants is a very good book, excellent for getting to know how to distinguish genera, and some good vocabulary to know relating to the study of ants.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#7 Offline Acshaw89 - Posted January 31 2020 - 8:46 AM

Acshaw89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationOhio

The Ants is a very good book, excellent for getting to know how to distinguish genera, and some good vocabulary to know relating to the study of ants.

Thanks I was wondering about this one in particular but it’s quite expensive. Are there a lot of photos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 Offline Ants4fun - Posted January 31 2020 - 12:23 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Just a tip, you can read The Ants for free on antwiki.com. They got permission from the authors. No pictures in that version, though.
  • Ferox_Formicae likes this

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 31 2020 - 3:18 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I started a thread about this last fall: https://www.formicul...s/?fromsearch=1
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#10 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted January 31 2020 - 5:14 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

I went and bought a used copy of The Ants on Amazon... thanks for the recommendations!  :D

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#11 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 31 2020 - 5:29 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Curious about the inaccuracies you observed.

#12 Offline Becky - Posted January 31 2020 - 6:20 PM

Becky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

"Journey to the ants" by Hölldobler and Wilson.

Basically a thinner and cheaper version of "the ants".

• ANTdrew likes this

#13 Offline Boog - Posted January 31 2020 - 9:17 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

I compiled my books in a list, I hope to include some pics and reviews down the road: https://www.formicul...oogs-ant-books/

I need to check out some of these other book suggestions, awesome!

My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#14 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted February 1 2020 - 9:56 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Curious about the inaccuracies you observed.

It's mostly just about the names. For instance, Strumigenys is broken into Strumigenys and PyramicaTemnothorax americanus is still Promognathus americanusColobopsis is still considered a subgenus of Camponotus, Dorylinae is still broken into Ecitoninae and Cerapachinae, and Stigmatomma and Fulakora are still in Amblyopone, just to name a few. Other than that, most aspects of the book are accurate. Also, just a thing about Ants of Florida, which has a few inaccuracies too, Mark Deyrup placed Gnamptogenys triangularis in with the Ponerines. I don't believe Gnamptogenys were ever grouped in with Ponerines, at least recently. Just a little thing though.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#15 Offline gcsnelling - Posted February 1 2020 - 12:37 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Ahh, I thought it was something important.

#16 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted February 1 2020 - 1:44 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Ahh, I thought it was something important.

Not really, no. It's still an absolutely incredible book.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users