• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

OhNoNotAgain's Tetramorium Attack on Titan (Quercicola etc) DISCONTINUED

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 16 2020 - 4:11 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
H o l y c r a p
  • TechAnt likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#42 Offline TechAnt - Posted October 16 2020 - 4:28 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

H o l y c r a p

Indeed.

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#43 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted October 19 2020 - 9:16 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

I just have to add a note that they seem to have done more damage than I thought. Yesterday, 2020.10.18, I found a total of three dead C. vicinus (two from the big colony, one from the Bad Luck tiny colony) and there were probably a few Prenolepis fatalities. I wonder if the Tetramorium venom has a long-term effect that causes delayed death in enemy ants?

The titanic colas, however, had zero casualties.

In fact when I went to the C. vicinus bin I found some survivor Tetramorium merrily hiding in a piece of fly pupa casing. Gah. These Tetramorium are tough little ants.

EDIT: I guess those colas who did CHOMP, JUMP AWAY, CHOMP, JUMP AWAY were onto something.

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, October 19 2020 - 10:30 AM.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#44 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 19 2020 - 9:21 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

sounds like the village is rising up against the innocent titans maybe levi will help.

We don’t talk about that

#45 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted October 19 2020 - 9:40 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

sounds like the village is rising up against the innocent titans maybe levi will help.

What was the character who was a total glutton? I guess the Tetramorium that I watched (the one in the cola tube who was attacked, then picked up food :facepalm:, then got attacked again) is analogous to that character.  :lol:

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Tetramorium sp.

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

#46 Offline TechAnt - Posted October 19 2020 - 9:44 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

My tetras have escaped a few times, never like this though, and never attacked any of my colonies. RIP ants killed by Tetras

Now this journal makes me nervous, as my Tetras outnumber all my Ant Colonies in total, I have a strange feeling to freeze my tetras, take their brood and feed it to my other ants, then chuck the frozen workers out to the wild Crematogaster colony near me, then let my honeypots feast on my Tetra's queen mwahahahahahahahaha.

Edited by TechAnt, October 19 2020 - 9:50 AM.

• OhNoNotAgain and Ants_Dakota like this
My Ants:

#47 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 19 2020 - 9:57 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

this is seriously awesome, in a good way. the classic "what would happen if my biggest ant colony got lose" has been answered. resulting in a huge battle. maybe you could make a movie about this? :D

• TechAnt likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#48 Offline TechAnt - Posted October 19 2020 - 10:18 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

this is seriously awesome, in a good way. the classic "what would happen if my biggest ant colony got lose" has been answered. resulting in a huge battle. maybe you could make a movie about this? :D

don't let AC read this, he may get ideas..

• Ants_Dakota likes this
My Ants:

#49 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 19 2020 - 10:19 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

release his ants into his room. although i think that it might lose him some followers

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#50 Offline TechAnt - Posted October 19 2020 - 10:21 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

release his ants into his room. although i think that it might lose him some followers

He may make a movie about how two of his captive colonies 'escaped' and began fighting, then how he, the great hero of ants stopped them fighting and 'created peace to the realm' once again.

Edited by TechAnt, October 19 2020 - 10:22 AM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this
My Ants:

#51 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 19 2020 - 10:21 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

What was the character who was a total glutton? I guess the Tetramorium that I watched (the one in the cola tube who was attacked, then picked up food :facepalm:, then got attacked again) is analogous to that character

hehe no levi is the strongest of the whole series and is an ackerman, i haven't really got into attack on titan that much yet but any other anime you ask me about i will have a answer for.

We don’t talk about that

#52 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted October 19 2020 - 10:33 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Honestly though much of the time it was like a game of blind man's bluff.... You know ants. They spend a lot of time feeling around going, "Fee fi fo fum, I smell the hemolymph of a foreign ant," and bumbling around trying to figure out where things are. But I guess the colas were right to chomp then jump away like a cat whose tail was stepped on. Those Tetras must be more dangerous than I'd thought.

IF the Tetra had been able to get over the Fluon and get reinforcements ... now THEN there would have been an ant massacre, I'm sure.

Re: Levi and AoT: Yeah I watched season 1. However, the Tetras vs. the colas were a lot more like the red shirt characters than Levi.  :lol:

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, October 19 2020 - 10:35 AM.

• Ants_Dakota and JCRHJM like this

Tetramorium sp.

#53 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 19 2020 - 10:55 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

yikes. i have a growing tetra colony right now. i had better keep my eyes wide open :o

#54 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 19 2020 - 2:47 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Eeee if you like attack on titan you should watch hunter x hunter. Ok now I’m done taking this over with anime.
  • Swirlysnowflake likes this
We don’t talk about that

#55 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted October 25 2020 - 1:58 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

So after that thread on how to contain the Tetramorium, and watching them blow through my next attempt to Fluon their enclosure, I decided to try olive oil. This time I don't care much if they drown in it (unlike when I tried it on a small colony of Veromessor that couldn't afford to lose workers).

Well... they DO seem to like it. Look at these workers rushing the oil....

I should've tried some mineral oil on part of the wall as an experiment.

IMG_2919-tetra-oil.jpg

I cannot afford to have them invading my other colonies. Their venom seems to cause delayed fatalities in other ants.

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, October 25 2020 - 1:58 PM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Tetramorium sp.

#56 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 25 2020 - 2:01 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I just have to add a note that they seem to have done more damage than I thought. Yesterday, 2020.10.18, I found a total of three dead C. vicinus (two from the big colony, one from the Bad Luck tiny colony) and there were probably a few Prenolepis fatalities. I wonder if the Tetramorium venom has a long-term effect that causes delayed death in enemy ants?

The titanic colas, however, had zero casualties.

In fact when I went to the C. vicinus bin I found some survivor Tetramorium merrily hiding in a piece of fly pupa casing. Gah. These Tetramorium are tough little ants.

EDIT: I guess those colas who did CHOMP, JUMP AWAY, CHOMP, JUMP AWAY were onto something.

Classic hit n' run tactics! Proven strategy!

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#57 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted November 5 2020 - 9:41 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Soooooo as per thread about containment, they ate the olive oil.

Then Tetras escaped AGAIN and went visiting the Camponotus and Prenos AGAIN. 

The scene with Prenos was so weird, like a really badly directed, boring amateur film with really bad actors.

Preno queens sitting around with a Tetramorium worker.

A while later, Preno queens still sitting around with a Tetramorium worker.

A while later, Tetramorium worker opens her mandibles. Then leisurely goes CHOMP on a Prenolepis queen leg.

Queen jumps and does something defensive.

A moment later, we just see Preno queens sitting around with a Tetramorium worker.

Nothing happens.

After that I tried mineral oil.

Lookie here: They are NOT eating it. Contrast empty walls with the pics of ants eating olive oil.

Still. Days later. It's still keeping them off. Olive oil: Tetramorium food. Mineral oil: not Tetramorium food.

IMG_3095.jpg

Anyway today I went looking for the queen and found her. Here are also some pics of the total nest area they have.

Queen:

IMG_3103.jpg

Nest area with queen. The one single clean room has no paths for ants to get to it.

This formicarium sadly does not allow for cleaning of the nest area.

IMG_3105.jpg

Other area of nest. This is where the previous Tetramorium colony used to live. You can see how extra dirty it is.

IMG_3106.jpg

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, November 5 2020 - 9:42 PM.

• ANTdrew and Ants_Dakota like this

Tetramorium sp.

#58 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 6 2020 - 6:14 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

wonder if olive oil is nutritious for ants...?

• OhNoNotAgain likes this

#59 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted February 17 2021 - 8:20 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Tetramorium were escaping again. Guess the mineral oil barrier wore out. I applied some more.

Looks like mineral oil on plastic lasts about 2-3 months.

Tetramorium sp.

#60 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted May 1 2021 - 7:45 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

It happened AGAIN.

This time I think they killed off my tiny C. sansabeanus colony. The queen's workers are all dead and the queen badly wounded.

The Tetras wandering around on their formicarium lid I dropped onto some sundews.

I'm pretty tired of these Tetramorium issues. They destroyed my Prenolepis colony and now my second sansas.

Anyone want a Tetramorium colony in a customized AntWorldUSA acrylic(?) formicarium   :P

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, May 1 2021 - 7:48 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Tetramorium sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users