• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

OhNoNotAgain's Tetramorium Attack on Titan (Quercicola etc) DISCONTINUED

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 7 2020 - 4:38 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I feel like they might be trying to cover up the stickiness. I have had ants do this before.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#22 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 8 2020 - 4:13 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That would be my assumption unless you actually observe live ants struggling in the nectar.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#23 Offline TheAntGuy - Posted March 8 2020 - 9:24 AM

TheAntGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationMoreno Valley California
Oh man, hope that doesnt become a problem with the nectar, good luck and great journal!
  • OhNoNotAgain and Ants_Dakota like this
Check out my journals, instagram, and youtube channel.

Insta: @theantguy17

Youtube: The Ant Guy

#24 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted March 12 2020 - 8:26 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Yesterday (?) I gave the ants some Gerber Chicken and Gravy baby food (chicken, water, cornstarch) as per someone else on the forum.

First problem is neither colony found it immediately so it got a little bit dry.

I think there was some interest, but not like with the Veromessor pergandei colony 1.

Next day I come in and as per thoughts above about covering up sticky (see pic)....

This is what T1 (in the mini-hearth) had done to their little dish of chicken baby food.

I was hoping they'd used up all their sand reserves, but no. They still have a mountain of sand on their water tower.

I pulled the feeder dishes out and will try again someday.

Today I gave everyone some shrimp bits. I just shoved them into the nests and didn't really track what happened after that (I know they liked freshly cooked Costco shrimp last time - defrosted shrimp not so much). I did see single ants hanging out at the shrimp.

Oh and there was more sand against the mini-hearth window... had to spend some time sliding the glass up to drop most of it.

SOMEDAY the mini-hearth will run out of sand. Someday....

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 21.10.45.png

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, March 12 2020 - 8:28 PM.

• Ants_Dakota and m99 like this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#25 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 13 2020 - 2:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Man, my mini-colony won’t move into the test tubes. I’ve never had a Tetra colony show stubborness like this! I even removed the glass of the mini-hearth, exposed them to light, and am blowing on them with a straw periodically.

Do you cover your Tetras’ glass? I bet they’d put less sand if they were normally dark anyways.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#26 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted March 13 2020 - 6:50 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Man, my mini-colony won’t move into the test tubes. I’ve never had a Tetra colony show stubborness like this! I even removed the glass of the mini-hearth, exposed them to light, and am blowing on them with a straw periodically.

Do you cover your Tetras’ glass? I bet they’d put less sand if they were normally dark anyways.

Yeah the sand mountain didn't exist actually UNTIL I took them into the school and kids were using flashlights to look into the mini-hearth. Between the first lecture and the fourth of the first day, they built up most of it. I think it was the flashlights.

As for the sand falling next to the glass, I'm not sure what's up with that. I wonder if they are doing it to try to plug a microscopic air leak?? I don't know....

For moving my fraggles I got a camping lantern and put it RIGHT up next to the glass on brightest mode, plus the new mini-hearth was on heat and the old one wasn't. That got them to move very quickly. But Tetramorium ... yeah I think they can be stubborn.

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Tetramorium sp.

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

#27 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 16 2020 - 6:47 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I finally got my Tetras to move out of their mini-hearth. They’re split between two test tubes now in a foraging container, and they have a crap ton of brood!
  • AntsDakota and OhNoNotAgain like this

#28 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted March 25 2020 - 1:12 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

As noted elsewhere, I am overrun with supposed blue bottle fly larve-turned-fly. They are big ugly hairy black flies. I dropped a whole one into Tetra2's outworld and stuffed part of one (about 1/3 of a fly) down into Tetra1's nest.

The workers are SWARMING the fly corpses. In Tetra1 (right photo) you can see they are bringing larvae to the fly piece.

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 14.06.51.png

• ANTdrew likes this

Tetramorium sp.

#29 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 26 2020 - 10:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Excellent. They’re going to grow like crazy eating those flies.
  • OhNoNotAgain likes this

#30 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 26 2020 - 1:02 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Maybe I’m really too paranoid about this, but those lighter workers look surprisingly similar to tsushimae.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#31 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted April 18 2020 - 1:05 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

So I had a massive fruit fly boom, and I've been feeding excess to various ant colonies. I didn't have to teach Tetramorium to hunt ants. Unlike C. fragilis and the late deceased Vero2 colony, they just simply figured it out.

Here're updates on the two Tetra colonies.

Tetra1: As per the movie 2001: "My God, it's full of stars ants!" Last time I counted I estimated over 100. Now it must be approaching 200 or more.

Tetramorium1-lots.jpg

Solid black mat of Tetramorium all over the back of the nest....

Tetra 2: It's interesting to see how they use the space in their rather different style of formicarium. They used to just hang out in two little chambers. Now they seem to have devoted a couple chambers to dead fruit flies. Because they've started putting their trash into the outworld, I'm GUESSING these are food storage and not just trash.

Tetramorium2-rooms.jpg

I dunno. We'll see. I did accidentally dump a TON of living fruit flies into their outworld so they won't be lacking protein any time soon. I do, however, have to refill their sugar water. Somehow. Without a zillion fruit flies escaping.

• AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

Tetramorium sp.

#32 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 18 2020 - 1:46 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

The ones in the mini-hearth look like they have about 350 workers to me. I just counted a group of fifty, and saw how many times that fits in, and it is about 7.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#33 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 18 2020 - 1:53 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
The more you feed them, the faster they’ll grow.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#34 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted May 4 2020 - 9:45 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

5/4/2020

"Bloodworm SOUP? Who needs SOUP? We'll eat plain old dry bloodworms."

Actually all my remaining colonies EXCEPT for C. sansabeanus are busy hauling in dried bloodworms.

Tetra1 in the mini-hearth is getting seriously scary. The back wall of the mini hearth is absolutely plastered with ants. The outworld is populated with ants trying to escape up the corners. The front of the nest is crawling with ants. I really, really need to get them a larger formicarium.

I'm going to take Tetramorium off high heat. Today I put them both on the same seedling heating mat and turned the thermostat down 5 degrees F. In fact I'll probably turn off their heat entirely for the summer. I really do not need a million Tetramorium.

Tetramorium sp.

#35 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted May 24 2020 - 12:21 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

First off, I've been preparing to trade away Tetra2 (the ones who were misrepresented to me as being Veromessor).

I set a red-covered test tube connected by tubing to the formicarium. I took out the formicarium water reservoir so the humidity/water would go away (this is how I killed half the colony by accident previously). Then I had to wait ... for WEEKS ... until the ants finally decided to move to the test tube a few days ago.

Even though they lost so many in that dehydration accident a while back, a quick count and I think I have well over 100 workers, most crammed into the tube, with some still in the old formicarium.

IMG_0439.jpg

But what to feed them? I ran out of fruit flies because I had a massive mite infestation appear and had to freeze the lot. I fed the Tetras some reheated lamb and shrimp, which they liked, but then was kind of stumped as to what to feed. As mentioned in other journals, I couldn't bring myself to kill cute young dubias, plus I'm low on mealworms.

On the other hand, I just got a new shipment of fly maggots for my jumping spiders. My old baggie of fly spikes had mostly pupated in the fridge while I was waiting for the spiders to get big enough to eat them. (The two spiders finally got big enough to eat them, but they each ate ONE larva and got so full they both molted. I guess not surprising given the spiders were 1/3 the size of the larvae.... But after molting, which takes a week, the spiders ate just TWO larvae each, and then were so full they have decided they are going to molt again! Ugh. So that leaves me with dozens of uneaten fly pupae that are getting too old in the fridge.)

A day or two ago I fed the somewhat neglected Tetra2 colony a cut up fly larva. They carted the pieces half way down the tube before the pieces desiccated and the ants abandoned them. The old baggie of fly spikes has almost no larvae left - the rest all pupated. Fly pupae look like oblong brown capsules, made of tough "plastic" (I mean it's not plastic, but it's really thick and tough).

So I started culling old fly pupae. Previously I would just puncture the pupae, get grossed out by the ooze coming out, and then just give the oozing capsules to the ants. Today I decided fly pupae are definitely much more accessible to ants if you circumnavigate the pupal cylinder and pry off half the tough membrane. It either leaves an oozing puddle of yuck, or it exposes a partially developed fly pupa. Next time I do this (I still have loads of fly pupae) I will take the capsule off completely if there's a physical pupa inside. I'll only leave half the capsule on if there's only ooze inside.

Tetra1 also got a pile of the pupae and I spilled some of the ooze into their feeding dish. Tetra1 drank it up eagerly.

I've also taken a bunch of pupae out to see how many eclose into those big black hairy flies. Tetras love those things even more. I just hate dealing with adult flies because they ... fly. Fishing out big buzzing black flies and killing them before they can fly around the house and freak out everyone else is not fun.

ADDENDUM: I'm going to update the first journal entry with general notes about my Tetra colonies.

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, May 24 2020 - 12:33 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

Tetramorium sp.

#36 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted June 2 2020 - 7:17 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

I traded away Tetra2. They arrived safely at their destination despite being crammed into that test tube.

Tetra1 I am trying to move out of their mini-hearth and into the plastic AntWorldUSA formicarium, which I rinsed with water. I've connected the two formicaria with about 4 feet of tubing (2 foot tube + different size 2 foot tube) that has a fairly steep incline, but I think they are able to go up and down the slope (with some difficulty).

(AntWorldUSA seems have returned, by the way. They are again selling and stuff.)

I think the colony is well-established enough that I don't need to heat them much any more. Anyway I don't know what to do if they increase to like 1000, and they will be running over their Fluon barrier in no time probably.

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, June 2 2020 - 7:19 PM.

Tetramorium sp.

#37 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 3 2020 - 3:15 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
In my experience, Tetramorium are entirely incapable of scaling fluon if it’s not too humid and properly applied. That’s one of the big selling points of the species.

#38 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted June 12 2020 - 9:35 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

So back on about 

Tetra1 moved into the AntWorldUSA formicarium, finally.

And then around 2020.6.10 or 11 I forcibly moved the last stragglers out of the mini-hearth with a paintbrush.

Photo from 2020.6.7

They fill up about double the space of how much Tetra2 did at the end (probably because Tetra2 was started later and had the catastrophic dehydration event). So I'm guessing 200+ ants.

Feeding them fly pupae at least once a week currently.

IMG_0633.jpg

• DDD101DDD and m99 like this

Tetramorium sp.

#39 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted October 8 2020 - 5:29 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Tetra 1 is still in the same formicarium. But they have blown through the Fluon, of course.

They are so small they get out of the tiniest cracks.

Today they were discovered all over the dining room table.

They found something they were really interested in: namely, a dead honeypot queen I'd left on the table....

:blink:

Oh well, photo opp!!  :facepalm:

IMG_2588.jpg

IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, October 8 2020 - 5:32 PM.

• M_Ants and m99 like this

Tetramorium sp.

#40 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted October 16 2020 - 3:22 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

"Attack on Titan"

Some people on the big Antkeeping Discord introduced me to the Japanese anime "Attack on Titan." The actual Japanese is likely more accurately "Charge of (the) Titan(s)/Giant(s)" (進撃の巨人)but the English title is more appropriate right now. Because that's what happened. And just like in the anime season 1 anyway, little tiny things attacking big giant things who outnumber them = squish.

YES SILLY TETRAMORIUM ESCAPED AGAIN. (They are too darn small.)

I found them all over the ant shelves, and naturally they had fallen into the Camponotus starter colonies' tubs, all of which have no lids.

I found some dead already, but IRONICALLY the place there were the most dead was the PRENOLEPIS bin. Mind you, the Prenolepis are weak, low in number, have no brood, and are for all intents and purposes a failing colony, but they are MIGHTY WINTER ANTS who can decimate Argentine ants, and apparently also Tetramorium. Sadly I missed that battle. Presumably it was merely a matter of "intruder alert! spray!" and done.

From here I'm just going to include pictures of some hapless Tetras invading the test tube of my largest ants, the Quercicolas.

Some things I saw: 

A cola worker with a dead(?) Tetra stuck to her leg.

Colas act like scaredy cats when attacking Tetra. Pounce, chomp, jump back in a panic because those tiny ants could explode (or apparently that's what they believe).

Below, you'll see a photo of where the Tetra, even after being attacked by a cola inside the cola tube, went merrily on her way and PICKED UP SOME FOOD in the middle of the test tube. Surrounded by hostile ants, the Tetramorium natural gluttony instinct still holds strong. You can see the aftermath.

Anyway first photo is of a Tetramorium cruising by in the foreground, while in the back you can see the behemoth titan-like cola queen and her workers.

IMG_2688.jpg

IMG_2699.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

IMG_2720.jpg

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, October 16 2020 - 3:26 PM.

• AntsDakota, Ants_Dakota and TestSubjectOne like this

Tetramorium sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users