• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants Exodus's Ant Journals! Updated (4/16/2021) 15 QUEEN PRENOLEPIS COLONY!

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#41 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 10 2020 - 2:32 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
https://www.formicul...erly/#entry7457
  • AntsExodus likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#42 Offline ForestDragon - Posted March 10 2020 - 12:32 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

megacephala should not be released... when an invasive is release to stop another invasive it creates more problems... have you heard about the rabit population in australia? they introduced foxes to hunt the rabbits and they are now 2 horrible species in their ecosystem

• AntsExodus likes this

#43 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 10 2020 - 12:50 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
And to the people who think Brachyponera chinensis helps push back Argentines.......

when an invasive is release to stop another invasive it creates more problems... have you heard about the rabit population in australia? they introduced foxes to hunt the rabbits and they are now 2 horrible species in their ecosystem

Edited by AntsDakota, March 10 2020 - 12:50 PM.

• AntsExodus likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#44 Offline AntsExodus - Posted March 16 2020 - 6:16 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Today was a sad day... My Lasius Neoniger colony was doing so well, and then I forgot to hydrate their nest one day and alllll of the workers died. Very sad this happend. Now she is living in a test tube setup with some small larvae.  :(

I just posted a new video today! Its about my Camponotus colony! My name on YouTube is Ants Exodus if you want to check it out!

• Thunder_Birds likes this

#45 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 16 2020 - 6:39 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Oh no!! I'm soo sorry! I subscribed to your channel!

Edited by Thunder_Birds, March 16 2020 - 6:43 PM.

• AntsExodus likes this

#Ants4Life

#46 Offline AntsExodus - Posted March 17 2020 - 5:25 AM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

thanks!

#47 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 17 2020 - 5:39 AM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Yeah!

• AntsExodus likes this

#Ants4Life

#48 Offline AntsExodus - Posted March 20 2020 - 5:53 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

A mistake happened to me that you should never try. You are lucky that I did it so you don't do it. So I have a Camponotus Chromaiodes colony. They have 6 workers and a lot of brood. So today I went outside and saw a Camponotus Chromaiodes colony. I saw a major walking on the  sidewalk and I picked her up and put her in the refrigerator. After around 3 minutes I put her into my colony and at first they where nice to each other. Then, not five minutes later I come back and I see the major has killed 2 workers! I was so sad and I released the major into the wild. Never do this to your colonies! Never mix ant colonies even of the same ant species.

• OhNoNotAgain likes this

#49 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 21 2020 - 6:12 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
In my experience, some ants are more accepting to others of the same species than others. I’ve successfully merged Lasius, Formica, Solenopsis molesta, and Ponera, yet Camponotus aren’t so accepting, as with Tetramorium.
  • OhNoNotAgain, AntsExodus and WSantkeeper like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#50 Offline AntsExodus - Posted March 22 2020 - 7:54 AM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

cool!

Edited by AntsExodus, March 22 2020 - 7:54 AM.

#51 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 22 2020 - 8:35 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Camponotus in the subgenus Myrmentoma are often polygynous, and are fairly accepting of foreign workers.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, March 22 2020 - 8:54 AM.

• AntsExodus likes this

#52 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 22 2020 - 8:44 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Although chromiodes isn’t in Myrmetoma, right?
  • AntsExodus likes this

#53 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 22 2020 - 8:54 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Although chromiodes isn’t in Myrmetoma, right?

No, Camponotus chromaiodes is in the Camponotus subgenus.

Fun fact: The genus of Colobopsis used to be classified as a subgenus of Camponotus.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, March 22 2020 - 8:55 AM.

• AntsDakota and AntsExodus like this

#54 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 22 2020 - 9:06 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

A mistake happened to me that you should never try. You are lucky that I did it so you don't do it. So I have a Camponotus Chromaiodes colony. They have 6 workers and a lot of brood. So today I went outside and saw a Camponotus Chromaiodes colony. I saw a major walking on the  sidewalk and I picked her up and put her in the refrigerator. After around 3 minutes I put her into my colony and at first they where nice to each other. Then, not five minutes later I come back and I see the major has killed 2 workers! I was so sad and I released the major into the wild. Never do this to your colonies! Never mix ant colonies even of the same ant species.

Never say never. This can be extremely successful with some ants and sometimes the only plausible way to successfully raise them. Monogyne camponotus just aren't meant to be mixed.

• TennesseeAnts and AntsExodus like this

#55 Offline AntsExodus - Posted March 25 2020 - 7:24 AM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

I'm so sad! I have pollen allergies and I am not allowed to go outside and I saw a huge swarm of some Pseudomyrmex gracilis and I think Odontomachus Haedematous! I couldn't catch any cause I had pollen allergies and I was not allowed to got outside! I'm so angry! Hopefully the pollen wears down soon cause I want to go outside! Hopefully everyone stays safe!

#56 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted March 25 2020 - 7:32 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I'm so sad! I have pollen allergies and I am not allowed to go outside and I saw a huge swarm of some Pseudomyrmex gracilis and I think Odontomachus Haedematous! I couldn't catch any cause I had pollen allergies and I was not allowed to got outside! I'm so angry! Hopefully the pollen wears down soon cause I want to go outside! Hopefully everyone stays safe!

I think I would just ignore the allergies and get me some large Pseudomyrmex and Odontomachus!

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota, AntsExodus and 1 other like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#57 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 25 2020 - 7:39 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

I think I would just ignore the allergies and get me some large Pseudomyrmex and Odontomachus!
Me too...
  • AntsExodus likes this

#58 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 25 2020 - 8:52 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Pollen allergies? Pfft... just get those ants.

#59 Offline ForestDragon - Posted March 25 2020 - 1:00 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

pollen aint never stopped me... but my eyes will itch SO BADLY

#60 Offline AntsExodus - Posted March 25 2020 - 6:04 PM

AntsExodus