• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants Exodus's Ant Journals! Updated (4/16/2021) 15 QUEEN PRENOLEPIS COLONY!

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#21 Offline AntsExodus - Posted February 9 2020 - 5:20 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Sadly my reptile pad has not arrived yet... I have added around ten more worms to my vivarium and it snowed yesterday! Very rare for it to snow... Melted the next day... I guess I have school

Edited by AntsExodus, February 9 2020 - 5:20 PM.

#22 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 10 2020 - 4:23 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

awwwww. hate when that happens

• AntsExodus likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#23 Offline AntsExodus - Posted February 10 2020 - 8:03 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Finally my Campnonoutus Pensylvanicus colony has laid its first eggs! I caught this colony from the wild, and since never laid a single egg. Finally, after 8 months of trying to patiently wait they have laid eggs! I got my reptile heating pad today, and I gave that to them and they moved near it right away! Hopefully they grow big and strong!

#24 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 11 2020 - 12:55 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

They do like to take their sweet time laying eggs lol

Edited by Da_NewAntOnTheBlock, February 11 2020 - 3:51 PM.

• AntsExodus likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#25 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 11 2020 - 3:54 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I don't know how warm your winters are in Georgia (or if you even have winters there), but if it gets relativity cold to the point where they hibernate, then they only 'lay two batches of eggs'. It's obviously not true, but what I mean is that Camponotus queens in regions like Illinois have two egg laying times, and only the spring batch becomes workers while the fall batch remain egg/larvae.  

• AntsExodus likes this

#26 Offline AntsExodus - Posted February 12 2020 - 7:32 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

In Georgia they lay eggs usually depending on what food they have. It snowed the day they laid eggs, and I did not even give them the heating pad that day. Also was the only day that snowed :( If I give them a lot of insects and honey they usually lay eggs. Its only been a week and she has laid her fourth batch, but she is laying in batches of usually 4 eggs. I think she is laying a lot cause this was a wild caught colony and I estimate they where about a year or 2 old when I caught them.

#27 Offline AntsExodus - Posted February 17 2020 - 6:33 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

My Ant Colonies are all thriving and doing fine! I just fed most of them some fruit flies and they loved it. Also I have a question. what's better sugar-water or honey-water and why?

#28 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted February 17 2020 - 7:16 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I don't actually think it matters too much. It's really just whatever your ants prefer and what's more convenient for you. I personally use sugar water, but that's only because I haven't had honey in my house for months...

• AntsExodus likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#29 Offline AntsExodus - Posted February 21 2020 - 7:21 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

OH MY GOSH! The best thing happened to me today. So 3 days ago I bought a 2 queen and 30 worker Pheidole Megacepacla colony from someone in the lower parts of Georgia. When they arrived there where actually 4 queens and 50 workers!! I got 2 times more queens then I was supposed to and I was so happy! I moved them into an Antkit nest size one and they are happily eating fruit flies right now.

#30 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted February 21 2020 - 7:25 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Uh, Pheidole megacephala don't live in Georgia. Any chance you could get some pictures of them? I could properly ID them for you.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#31 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 22 2020 - 3:24 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

OH MY GOSH! The best thing happened to me today. So 3 days ago I bought a 2 queen and 30 worker Pheidole Megacepacla colony from someone in the lower parts of Georgia. When they arrived there where actually 4 queens and 50 workers!! I got 2 times more queens then I was supposed to and I was so happy! I moved them into an Antkit nest size one and they are happily eating fruit flies right now.

Nice! Sounds like AntsCanada's new Titans video. He was told the colony had four queens but it ended up having six.  :D

• AntsExodus and Ants_Dakota like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#32 Offline AntsExodus - Posted February 29 2020 - 7:16 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

I have confirmed that they are Pheidole Megacephala with Extras Ants! I did do some research and Pheidole Megacephala do live in Georgia but in the Southern areas and that is where I got my Pheidole Megacephala colony! So far they have around 40 eggs and 3 or 4 larvae and I feed them almost everyday, so I hope they grow really fast! Also I am heating them and I moved my Lasius Neoniger colony into a Utah Ant Shop small nest and a British Ants Formicarium as their outworld!

• Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this

#33 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 1 2020 - 6:18 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

wow, you got some butes in Pheidole Megaceohala! Looks like you're ant keeping season is off to a great start eh?

• AntsExodus likes this

#34 Offline AntsExodus - Posted March 3 2020 - 4:50 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Caught some Salamander eggs! 2 hatched from egg to tadpole! Gonna release them soon to the wild near a creek after they become salamanders!

• Canadant likes this

#35 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 3 2020 - 5:31 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Nice!

• AntsExodus likes this

#36 Offline AntsExodus - Posted March 7 2020 - 9:01 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Nothing new has happened to any of my ant colonies yet... Except that my Lasius Neoniger colony has been ripping up their pupae... Anyone know why they are doing this? 

#37 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted March 7 2020 - 10:58 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Pheidole magecephala are super invasive... Be sure not to release them as they are ecological hazards in areas which they aren’t native to. Is it possible you misidentified them? Lots of smaller ant species are nearly impossible to tell apart without using a microscope and taxonomical keys.

I find in a lot of my colonies that the brood will die and be torn apart or eaten if they are under or over watered or the temperature is too hot/cold for them. Perhaps your Lasius are feeling the same way :).
  • JimothyJ and AntsExodus like this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#38 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 8 2020 - 5:11 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

or your lasius may be letting the pupae a. be naked pupae or b. letting them grow more

• AntsExodus and Ants_Dakota like this

#39 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 8 2020 - 5:43 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
We would have to see pictures for a proper identification.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#40 Offline AntsExodus - Posted March 9 2020 - 7:53 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

I'm sorry I am still trying to find a way to send pictures through here, and they have 4 queens, and actually it would be a good thing releasing them cause they are literally the only ones repelling Solenopsis Invicta in Florida. Even Argentine Ants can't kill Fire Ants! Also I have confirmed they are Pheidole Megacepala with Extras Antsbut I will keep trying to find how to send pics!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users