• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants Exodus's Ant Journals! Updated (4/16/2021) 15 QUEEN PRENOLEPIS COLONY!

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsExodus - Posted January 28 2020 - 4:19 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Hey everyone! I saw Ferox's journal so I got super jealous and now I am making one! Luckily queens will be flying soon, but for now here are my ant colonies! I will try to post daily or weekly, if not at least 2 a month hopefully!

Lasius Neoniger  1 queen 10 workers

Pheidole Dentigula 1 queen 40 workers and 10 majors

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus 1 queen 5 workers

Lasius Claviger 1 queen

Linepithema Humilie 1 queen

I forgot to hydrate my Linepithema Humile colony so all of the 200 workers sadly died and 1 queen also died :(

My Pheidole Dentigula colony loves fruit flies! Just fed them some today

I took my Camponotus Pennsylvanicus colony out of hibernation cause they were less sensitive

My Lasius Claviger  does not have any hosts cause she is rejecting my Lasius Neoniger's brood

I will try to get my Linepithema Humile queen some workers but its too cold for now

Edited by AntsExodus, April 16 2021 - 7:49 PM.

• Ferox_Formicae and AntsDakota like this

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 28 2020 - 4:31 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Parasitic Lasius can't take care of brood. You could try callow (white, newly hatched) workers.

• Ferox_Formicae likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline AntsExodus - Posted January 28 2020 - 4:51 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Thanks!

#4 Offline AntsExodus - Posted January 29 2020 - 6:15 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Today I fed my Pheidole Dentigula colony some fruit flies. I usually give them around 30 but the fruit flies are dying out so I am going to give them a new setup.

My Lasius Neoniger colony has been so far no problemo with nothing bad happening to them.

I fed my Camponotus Pennsylvanicus colony some termites. It is one of their favorite foods.

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 30 2020 - 3:22 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Would it be easier to feed the Pheidole meal worms or super worms?

Edited by AntsDakota, January 30 2020 - 3:22 PM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline AntsExodus - Posted January 30 2020 - 3:40 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

I would advise meal-worms because they are smaller and less aggressive. Also, Pheidole is a small ant species so they do not need large super-worms that much. Also Meal-worms are easier to keep.

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 30 2020 - 3:45 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I mean instead of 30 fruit flies.....

#8 Offline AntsExodus - Posted January 30 2020 - 7:21 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Today my Pheidole Dentigula colony has finally new workers! Around 10-20 white workers! They had to have hatched less than 5 minutes ago. They are also expecting a new major! Fed them 3 meal-worms and around 10 fruit flies.

My Camponoutus Pennsylvanicus colony is eating everything I give them! I gave them 2 crickets today! 

Something odd is happening. So I never mentioned that I have an Aphenogaster Fulva colony cause I wild caught them with no workers. I got sad and threw them in my vivarium cause it had no ants. Later on I began noticing eggs and larvae from them in my vivarium! They all hatched into workers cause I saw pale workers! Is this a new scientific gamer-gate discovery?

#9 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 30 2020 - 7:51 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Today my Pheidole Dentigula colony has finally new workers! Around 10-20 white workers! They had to have hatched less than 5 minutes ago. They are also expecting a new major! Fed them 3 meal-worms and around 10 fruit flies.

My Camponoutus Pennsylvanicus colony is eating everything I give them! I gave them 2 crickets today! 

Something odd is happening. So I never mentioned that I have an Aphenogaster Fulva colony cause I wild caught them with no workers. I got sad and threw them in my vivarium cause it had no ants. Later on I began noticing eggs and larvae from them in my vivarium! They all hatched into workers cause I saw pale workers! Is this a new scientific gamer-gate discovery?

Maybe you missed the queen. Aphaenogaster queens are well hidden. I really doubt it's a new discovery, you have no idea how many times I've thought that and been let down.

• Canadian anter likes this

#10 Offline AntsExodus - Posted February 1 2020 - 8:03 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Today I caught a Lasius Umbratus Queen! I have literally never seen regular Lasius Neoniger in my area and the colony I have I got from a GAN farmer. I really need some brood because I have 2 parasitic queens with no brood! Also it was kinda weird cause its winter here and she was just walking around. I am going to give them some Linepithema brood and some workers. For now they are acting like a colony! I put them in the fridge for 5 minutes and hopefully she starts laying eggs.

#11 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted February 1 2020 - 9:27 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Today I caught a Lasius Umbratus Queen! I have literally never seen regular Lasius Neoniger in my area and the colony I have I got from a GAN farmer. I really need some brood because I have 2 parasitic queens with no brood! Also it was kinda weird cause its winter here and she was just walking around. I am going to give them some Linepithema brood and some workers. For now they are acting like a colony! I put them in the fridge for 5 minutes and hopefully she starts laying eggs.

That's ironic, I was actually thinking of doing the same thing today! Also, just as a heads up, Lasius umbratus is a European species. It was once considered to be a North American exotic, but was recently reclassified as its own species, Lasius aphidicola. The same thing is that case with Lasius alienus, with the North American population being renamed Lasius americanus. I suspect that something similar will happen to Camponotus herculeanus. I mean, come on, that species spans across the entire Northern Hemisphere! The North American population has gotta be something different. If it is renamed, you all owe me $10...

• AntsExodus likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#12 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 2 2020 - 7:41 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
I disagree. We all owe you $0.00
  • AntsDakota and Antkeeper01 like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#13 Offline ponerinecat - Posted February 2 2020 - 11:48 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

We all owe you - $10.00. 

• Ferox_Formicae and Antkeeper01 like this

#14 Offline AntsExodus - Posted February 3 2020 - 3:31 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

I released my Lasius Claviger and my Lasius aphidicola queen, because I had no choice and I did not want them to wait until I find a Lasius Neoniger colony so I released them. Hopefully they will be successful at killing a queen. (Sounds wrong)

My Linepithema Humile queen died sadly right when I found workers for her, and I have traps all around my front and backyard cause queens are starting to fly! 

I smelled my Lasius Claviger's test tube and it smelled so good! It was like citrus! No wonder their called Citrus ants...

#15 Offline AntsExodus - Posted February 4 2020 - 5:35 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Today I have fed my ants something new! Termites! I keep a termite colony in a Nordic Ants test tube termite setup and the secondary reproductives have laid eggs so I am starting to feed my ants a few termites! Most of my ant colonies love it! Especially the Camponoutus Colony!

#16 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 4 2020 - 5:43 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Proud to hear it! keep us posted on your Camponotus (especially me. I'm a sucker for Camponotus). 

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#17 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted February 4 2020 - 5:56 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Today I have fed my ants something new! Termites! I keep a termite colony in a Nordic Ants test tube termite setup and the secondary reproductives have laid eggs so I am starting to feed my ants a few termites! Most of my ant colonies love it! Especially the Camponoutus Colony!

Ah, I remember feeding my colonies termites. I gotta start doing that more tbh. I know my Gnamptogenys queen seems to like them, and I haven't fed her in a while...

• AntsExodus likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#18 Offline AntsExodus - Posted February 7 2020 - 7:09 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

I got a heating cable for my ants today! Sadly it did not work and we returned it and I am getting a reptile heating pad now... Hopefully this one is better!

#19 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 8 2020 - 10:28 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
I wish I could keep termites. Sadly, strictly outlawed by my parents, so I can only feed alates, which, admittedly, are full of nutrients.
  • AntsDakota and AntsExodus like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#20 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 8 2020 - 10:35 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

my parents don't let me keep anything but ants, and the mealworms I feed them lol

• NickAnter, AntsDakota and AntsExodus like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users