• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

OhNoNotAgain's Camponotus fragilis and Acromyrmex versicolor (desert leafcutters)

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#21 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted February 24 2020 - 9:45 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Today I put a few hydei fruit flies in the big outworld (whose contents continue to be ignored by the fraggles).

This time the one worker in the outworld was kind of intrigued by the smell, and was running around trying to attack fruit flies. It wasn't working out well. Fruit flies just jump away and they're safe. I think the worker gave up.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#22 Offline justanotheramy - Posted February 25 2020 - 2:10 AM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

From pictures, fruit flies don't seem that much smaller than house flies?
My ants expect me to kill but not crush their fresh flies. Their preferences are very specific. If I can permanently paralyse them, even better.

#23 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted March 2 2020 - 9:38 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

From pictures, fruit flies don't seem that much smaller than house flies?
My ants expect me to kill but not crush their fresh flies. Their preferences are very specific. If I can permanently paralyse them, even better.

Actually I think fruit flies are quite a bit smaller? They are just a bit bigger than my smallest ants and considerably smaller than my bigger ants.

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Tetramorium sp.

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

#24 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted March 2 2020 - 9:43 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Fraggles LEARNED!!!  :yahoo: Dumping fruit flies directly into the nest might've done the trick - helping the colony as a whole realize fruit flies are food, even if the stupid foragers didn't believe it at first.

I had a fruit fly accident while trying to feed my new slings and had to dump fruit flies into fraggles' two outworlds (they have a mini-hearth outworld and I've temporarily hooked them up to a bigger THA medium-sized outworld).

Before I knew it (while I was distracted) fraggles were grabbing fruit flies and hauling them into the mini-hearth. I watched one drag a fruit fly all the way down the tubing, spraying as she went (her coworkers were like "Duuuuude, stop with the spraying. I can't even get close to you. Phew!").

I saw one dead fruit fly at the front of the nest. Then another worker came down from the mini-hearth outworld carrying another fruit fly. The two dead bugs were laid side by side in the nest and I think ants were starting to eat them.

This is in stark contrast to the dead fruit flies I saw lying around forgotten in the big outworld some days ago.

The speed at which the workers caught the flies must be improving because I didn't even see the chase happen. (Also these fruit flies were more dazed, probably from being in fridge too long.)

EDIT: I think some still haven't gotten the memo as a couple dead fruit flies are now close to the indoor (in-the-nest) trash pile, but it's like the ants aren't sure if they are trash or food. I did just watch another worker excitedly bring home another fruit fly from the large outworld, though, so slowly hopefully they are learning and not just deciding fruit flies must be put in the indoor trash, not the outdoor trash (they have another trash pile in the big outworld).

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, March 2 2020 - 9:54 AM.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

Tetramorium sp.

#25 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted March 15 2020 - 11:42 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

I finally decided to move the fraggles out to the new THA Fortress a few days ago (because everyone tells me they need a large outworld, but I don't want to have a long tube connecting their mini-hearth to the large outworld once I turn up the heat for them; therefore, it's time to give them a built-in bigger outworld). I connected the mini-hearth to the Fortress and, using various incentives such as bright light next to the mini-hearth, or flooding it a bit with water, I convinced them to move out over the last two days. Made the last two stragglers move out today.

Unfortunately, although the Fortress is shallower, somehow there's a deep part near the water tower and I can't see the queen.

But I did get a pic of a median or major going out into the outworld. Guessing this is the oldest one .... FINALLY old enough to feel brave I guess. (2nd pic below, dark head.) Checked my notes and I guess she's about 3.5 months old.

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 12.44.52.png
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 12.39.53.png

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, March 15 2020 - 11:48 AM.

• ANTdrew, zantezaint and justanotheramy like this

Tetramorium sp.

#26 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted March 25 2020 - 1:17 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Fraggles, as much as they have historically been confused by some other forms of protein in their outworld(s), definitely know what to do with dead black flies.

This is the scene from today's fly feast. Note the major/median that came out to join the party.

Also, in the THA Fortress they have ants up in the second level, though none so far in the third.

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 14.06.22.png

• ANTdrew likes this

Tetramorium sp.

#27 Offline justanotheramy - Posted March 25 2020 - 10:26 PM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Well, who doesn't like dead black flies?  :lol:

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, DDD101DDD and 3 others like this

#28 Offline ForestDragon - Posted March 26 2020 - 6:17 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

Well, who doesn't like dead black flies?  :lol:

I know right, I put them in my breakfast smoothies for a little protein boost and that CRONCH

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, DDD101DDD and 4 others like this

#29 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 26 2020 - 6:48 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

*puts them on pizza and tells little cousin it's seasoning* 

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, TylrsAnts and 1 other like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#30 Offline TheAntGuy - Posted March 26 2020 - 4:42 PM

TheAntGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationMoreno Valley California
That larger one is a major btw, you can tell by the head.
  • YsTheAnt likes this
Check out my journals, instagram, and youtube channel.

Insta: @theantguy17

Youtube: The Ant Guy

#31 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 26 2020 - 5:36 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

and the darker coloration (but head size is the major deciding factor)

• OhNoNotAgain likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#32 Offline Canadant - Posted March 30 2020 - 2:07 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Beautiful ants.
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#33 Offline AntJohnny - Posted April 4 2020 - 5:19 PM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMichigan Lower Pen.
Them are one of the coolest looking ant species I have ever seen! Definitely my favorite looking species now. Ants canadas golden empire doesn't even come close to as cool looking as that colony.
  • OhNoNotAgain likes this

#34 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 4 2020 - 5:57 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

and they're non-invasive!

• OhNoNotAgain and TestSubjectOne like this

#35 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted April 7 2020 - 1:03 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

So head shape is the same for medians as with the small workers? Or ?

I haven't updated much with these guys as nothing much is happening. It didn't help that I've had a Veromessor highway tube draped on top of the fraggles Fortress for almost a week straight.

I will say it's interesting how, when I remove the red film over the Fortress nest, all the fraggles in the upper rooms flee downstairs like roaches (the pest kind, not the feeder kind) fleeing when a light goes on. It's kind of funny and sad at the same time. It's like living water rushing down a drain.

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, April 7 2020 - 1:03 PM.

Tetramorium sp.

#36 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 7 2020 - 1:30 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Workers (minors) have narrower and smaller heads (not as much as a drone but that'll come up another time). Medians or fully grown workers have a wider and bigger head because of it's size and is like a mini-major. Majors have really big and wide heads and are bigger and Supermajors are like majors but even bigger. I hope this clears it up for you. Another factor is coloration with your species. The darker the head, the more it is a median, major, supermajor or queen

#37 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 7 2020 - 1:32 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

look at your younger generations (gen 1 and two) and then look at the head of the median. There is a darker shade to the head and a bigger size of the worker along with a bigger head. Then look at your queen (she should have the darkest head currently because of the lack of majors and supermajors).

#38 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted April 7 2020 - 2:41 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

look at your younger generations (gen 1 and two) and then look at the head of the median. There is a darker shade to the head and a bigger size of the worker along with a bigger head. Then look at your queen (she should have the darkest head currently because of the lack of majors and supermajors).

Actually nope, the queen's coloration is uniform and she is the same color as the minor workers. It's hard to tell her apart at quick glance. (See photo in first page.)

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, April 7 2020 - 2:42 PM.

Tetramorium sp.

#39 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 7 2020 - 2:55 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Ok, well the bit about the queen was incorrect but the rest should be. Sorry if I confused you even more...

#40 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted April 7 2020 - 3:20 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Actually Ant Guy says it's a major, not a median, so um....  :lol:  Could you two have it out somewhere and let me know who's right lol

Tetramorium sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users