• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Difference Between (ANT) and (ANT) Thread

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 8 2020 - 5:58 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

I think a lot of people new to antkeeping and myrmecology (including me!) have a hard time differentiating between extremely similar species, genera, or even subfamilies. So here's where anyone can post the differences between them. I'd really appreciate this and i'm sure many other people would too.

Here's a good one I know of for differentiating between Camponotus and Formica (most of the time). The mesasoma of Camponotus is evenly convex (curved, sort of like a hill), whereas in Formica, the mesasoma is indented in the middle (between the mesonotum and the propodeum)

camponotus_profile.jpg

formica_profile.jpg

http://www.myrmecos....and-camponotus/

Also, if anyone knows of any readily noticeable differences beteween Formicines and Dolichoderines, please share.

• BADANT and OhNoNotAgain like this

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 8 2020 - 6:46 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Formicines have an acidopore, which is a small ring of hairs at the end of the gaster

ant-identification-canada.crd.co

Is something I've been working on
  • BADANT likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted January 8 2020 - 7:24 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

A bit of a more advanced one, but I've figured out how to tell the difference between Aphaenogaster carolinensis and Aphaenogaster miamiana. In A. miamiana, the propodeal spines in dorsal view curve inwards slightly, while in A. carolinensis the are completely straight.

Strumigenys silvestrii can be told apart from S. louisianae by its lighter coloration, smaller eye (and smaller body in general), thinner mandibles, and a small 'tooth' that is located nearly halfway up each mandible on the interior.

I got plenty more where that came from!

• BADANT likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 9 2020 - 2:59 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I honestly don't get how people think all ants look the same except for coloration. I try to describe the basic Formicinae, Myrmicinae, and Ponerinae shapes to them, but it's just difficult. It's just the way they are, with those obvious shapes!

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 9 2020 - 3:02 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

You can tell Myrmica an Myrmecina apart by looking at the petiole (not postpetiole, for reference). In Myrmica, the petiole has a large petiolar node attached to the propodeum by a peduncle, whereas in Myrmecina, the petiole is more tubular (sometimes with a little bump)

• BADANT likes this

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 9 2020 - 3:07 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

You can tell Myrmica an Myrmecina apart by looking at the petiole (not postpetiole, for reference). In Myrmica, the petiole has a large petiolar node attached to the propodeum by a peduncle, whereas in Myrmecina, the petiole is more tubular (sometimes with a little bump)

myrmecina is easy to tell apart. Small, squat, cryptic, and slow.

#7 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted January 9 2020 - 5:11 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Given someone sold me what I (and a couple others) think is a Tetramorium queen that their friends told them was Veromessor pergandei (definitely not), yeah, I really like the graphical "n00bs look at THIS" kind of thing.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#8 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 9 2020 - 6:01 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Given someone sold me what I (and a couple others) think is a Tetramorium queen that their friends told them was Veromessor pergandei (definitely not), yeah, I really like the graphical "n00bs look at THIS" kind of thing.

How does someone confuse Tetramorium with Veromessor...

#9 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted January 12 2020 - 12:28 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

To be fair, when I compare the queens they do look superficially similar. Roughly the same size, same color, approximate same shape - but that's just a quick glance and I'm a n00b. The workers really look nothing alike though.

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, January 12 2020 - 12:29 PM.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#10 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 12 2020 - 3:07 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

To be fair, when I compare the queens they do look superficially similar. Roughly the same size, same color, approximate same shape - but that's just a quick glance and I'm a n00b. The workers really look nothing alike though.

Veromessor queens are very leggy and light. Look almost semi claustral. Tetra queens are actually usually very small and light, being semi claustral. Low to the ground and stubby. Common exception is T. immigrans, being much larger and bulkier. Easy to distinguish because of body proportions. Vero queens look like large workers. T. immigrans look like big pheidole with tiny heads. However, V. pergandei is very smooth and shiny. T. immigrans is sculptured and dull.

#11 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 12 2020 - 4:00 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Tetra queens are actually usually very small and light, being semi claustral.

I thought most common species of Tetramorium  in the U.S. were fully claustral.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#12 Offline Martialis - Posted January 12 2020 - 5:28 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi
One’s your parent’s sister, and the other lives with her sisters.
  • Ferox_Formicae likes this
Spoiler

#13 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 12 2020 - 5:58 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Tetra queens are actually usually very small and light, being semi claustral.

I thought most common species of Tetramorium  in the U.S. were fully claustral.

Tetramorium in general, and a few in the US.

#14 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 13 2020 - 4:29 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

One’s your parent’s sister, and the other lives with her sisters.

:thinking:

#15 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 24 2020 - 2:46 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Can anyone give some tips for differentiating between Nylanderia and Lasius? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Actually, I have a few thing to add to my order...

Aphaeonogaster / Other similar myrmicines

A side of fries and a milkshake

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, January 24 2020 - 2:53 PM.

#16 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 24 2020 - 4:52 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Can anyone give some tips for differentiating between Nylanderia and Lasius? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Actually, I have a few thing to add to my order...

Aphaeonogaster / Other similar myrmicines

A side of fries and a milkshake

Lasius have velvety hairs if any, nylanderia have sparse, stiff hairs.

#17 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 24 2020 - 4:53 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Aphaenogaster are often differentiated by size compared to Pheidole, and cannot really be confused with any other genera, but a better way to tell is to look at the neck. Aphaenogaster have noticeable necks, Pheidole heads directly attach to the thorax.

#18 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 24 2020 - 5:14 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Aphaenogaster are often differentiated by size compared to Pheidole, and cannot really be confused with any other genera, but a better way to tell is to look at the neck. Aphaenogaster have noticeable necks, Pheidole heads directly attach to the thorax.

How about Ahaenogaster/Myrmica?

#19 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted January 24 2020 - 5:27 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Nylanderia has a very pronounced mesosomal constriction just behind the pronotum. In addition to that, as ponerinecat stated, Nylanderia workers have very long, stiff hairs on most of the body, but most noticeably on the pronotal dorsum and surface of the head, while Lasius has shorter, more broadly distributed hairs (though some Nylanderia have dense pubescence as well), giving them a velvety appearance in some species, especially in some of the darker colored species like L. neoniger and americanus.

Aphaenogaster workers are often larger that Pheidole, but in some cases, this is not the best way to distinguish the genera. The best way to distinguish the genera is by looking at the antenna. In Pheidole, a distinct 3-4 segmented antennal club can be seen, while this feature is lacking in Aphaenogaster. If a colony is available, Pheidole always have a dimorphic (rarely trimorphic) worker caste, while most Aphaenogaster are monomorphic, occasionally polymorphic with slight size differences between the workers.

Aphaenogaster can be easily distinguished from Myrmica by their 'saddle-backed' mesosoma, while Myrmica has a flat-backed mesosoma, occasionally with a mesosomal groove. Myrmica are also heavily sculptured throughout, while the sculpturing seen in Aphaenogaster is often restricted to the head, although Aphaenogaster often display granulate sculpturing on their mesosomas, and other species have striations radiating out from the postpetiole connection point on gastral tergite I. Such a structure can be seen in A. mariae, though these striations are often difficult to see.

• ANTdrew and TheMicroPlanet like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#20 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 24 2020 - 5:33 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Nylanderia has a very pronounced mesosomal constriction just behind the pronotum. In addition to that, as ponerinecat stated, Nylanderia workers have very long, stiff hairs on most of the body, but most noticeably on the pronotal dorsum and surface of the head, while Lasius has shorter, more broadly distributed hairs (though some Nylanderia have dense pubescence as well), giving them a velvety appearance in some species, especially in some of the darker colored species like L. neoniger and americanus.

Aphaenogaster workers are often larger that Pheidole, but in some cases, this is not the best way to distinguish the genera. The best way to distinguish the genera is by looking at the antenna. In Pheidole, a distinct 3-4 segmented antennal club can be seen, while this feature is lacking in Aphaenogaster. If a colony is available, Pheidole always have a dimorphic (rarely trimorphic) worker caste, while most Aphaenogaster are monomorphic, occasionally polymorphic with slight size differences between the workers.

Aphaenogaster can be easily distinguished from Myrmica by their 'saddle-backed' mesosoma, while Myrmica has a flat-backed mesosoma, occasionally with a mesosomal groove. Myrmica are also heavily sculptured throughout, while the sculpturing seen in Aphaenogaster is often restricted to the head, although Aphaenogaster often display granulate sculpturing on their mesosomas, and other species have striations radiating out from the postpetiole connection point on gastral tergite I. Such a structure can be seen in A. mariae, though these striations are often difficult to see.

Wow, i actually understood all the anatomical terms. Thanks for the detailed response

• Ferox_Formicae likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users