• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Artificial Nuptial Flight?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 20 2019 - 2:45 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Ants typically have their nuptial flights after rainstorms (and other environmental ques) because it softens the soil, right? Well what if you sprayed a few colonies (of the same species) with water  (along with all the other conditions)? Could you fool them into thinking it's time for their nuptial flights? (I know this is a pretty dumb idea coming from an inexperienced antkeeper, but I had to ask anyway)

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 20 2019 - 2:55 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yes. You can. You just need to micromanage all the variables and hope you get lucky.

and waters not the only thing. temp, sun coverage, humidity, wind speed, all play in and the ants may just chooses not to fly for random reasons.

• DDD101DDD likes this

#3 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 20 2019 - 3:42 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Oh I knew it wasn't just water  (which is why I said stuff like "and other environmental ques" and "long with all the other conditions"). Followup question: You can't really get alates to mate in captivity, right?

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 20 2019 - 4:25 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Oh I knew it wasn't just water  (which is why I said stuff like "and other environmental ques" and "long with all the other conditions"). Followup question: You can't really get alates to mate in captivity, right?

You can, just really hard

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#5 Offline CampoKing - Posted December 20 2019 - 7:19 PM

CampoKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationColorado
I researched the heck out of this because it's been a goal of mine too.

In short, a mature colony will raise alates, which will overwinter with the colony. On the first warm day after a rainstorm (usually), alates will start their mating flights depending on species: some in the morning, some at sunset, some at night. At least in Camponotus, the males fly first at sunset, and the females are triggered to fly when they detect the male pheromones. There is speculation that ants are sensitive to barometric pressure, in addition to humidity. To be successful with an indoor mating flight, it might actually have to be rainy outside as well humid in their habitats. To say nothing of stable indoor day/night photoperiod to synchronize everything.

Last, the females need to smell the males, in the species where the men fly first.

But yeah, all that said, I don't know if I've heard of success in this. Researchers seem pretty convinced that the mating must occur in the air (for Camponotus), because it's part of mate fitness selection. I *think* if they can't fly freely, they just might not mate at all

Edited by CampoKing, December 20 2019 - 7:22 PM.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

#6 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted December 21 2019 - 12:54 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

I saw a guy breed Aphaenogaster rudis once in a video. Pseudomyrmex pallidus actually will have nuptial flights in captivity, and alates will mate with their nestmates and then return to the colony, increasing the number of queens in the already highly polygynous colony.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#7 Offline zantezaint - Posted December 21 2019 - 2:38 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

Can a species classified as non-interbreeding defy the classification? Has it ever happened? I always thought interbreeding or in human terms, incest, correlates to decision making rather than chemical triggers.

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#8 Offline CampoKing - Posted December 21 2019 - 5:18 PM

CampoKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationColorado
Simplest solution is a mosquito net gazebo in the backyard: open up the habitats on a warm week, let the alates swarm, collect the mated Queens. I might do it this way someday.:)

#9 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 21 2019 - 6:03 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Can a species classified as non-interbreeding defy the classification? Has it ever happened? I always thought interbreeding or in human terms, incest, correlates to decision making rather than chemical triggers.

I believe species like Paratrechina longicornis can produce male alates genetically different from the queen alates, and then the two mate within the colony (this species is polygynous). So this isn't decision making as we humans do it; it's still chemical ques.

#10 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 21 2019 - 9:12 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

No. Only certain species can interbreed. Animals are different. They have to rely on instinct, and if found mating with siblings, will cut off the mating process or avoid mating in the first place.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users