• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Two Lasius Queens, Waukesha WI September

lasius

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted December 21 2019 - 3:58 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

I found two Lasius queens in September this year. I am 90% sure they are both different species but I am unsure what to call them. I cannot confirm that either of them are Lasius crypticus or Lasius neoniger, these are the only two species which I am considering right now. This might be pretty complicated. I've caught the rare, silverish-grey species of Lasius every year for about 3 years now. This year I am pretty sure I've caught a few, and I've been thinking they're Lasius crypticus. The key to Lasius queens has been mostly unhelpful.

Location of collection: Waukesha, WI.

Date of collection: Sept 1st (?)
Habitat of collection: Grass/Sidewalk, flying in air. This year is my first time finding the silver queens on the ground, and only one of them was. It had just landed.
Length: Both 7mm.
Nuptial flight time: 7-9PM

This is what I think is Lasius crypticus, it is shiny and silver. She has orange mandibles and antennae. Queen 1

This is what might be crypticus or neoniger. Her antennae and mandibles are not orange, more greyish-brownQueen 2

Here are both queens. Left is Queen 1, Right is Queen 2.

Ask for any more pictures you might need. Thanks.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted December 22 2019 - 6:48 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
First one looks to be neoniger, due to the even teeth. Second one is a bit weirder, but might be Lasius brevicornis
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted December 22 2019 - 9:00 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

First one looks to be neoniger, due to the even teeth. Second one is a bit weirder, but might be Lasius brevicornis

The second one isn't brevicornis, I have a few queens of brevicornis and they're all much lighter and have different shaped heads. I also found brevicornis earlier on in the day. I see now that the pictures provided might have made it seem that way, I'll get some better ones soon, although the second queen isn't all in one piece anymore.  :facepalm:   

If the first one is neoniger, what do you think the reason is for the extreme variation in color and gaster shape from my other neoniger queens? They were all caught in the same area on the same day. As far as I can observe and from what I've read, the teeth being even shouldn't mean anything when discerning between crypticus and neoniger

Thanks

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#4 Offline Canadian anter - Posted December 22 2019 - 5:18 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Well, the teeth are just an identifying characteristic from Lasius pallitarsis and Lasius crypticus from my experience. Colour variations are rampant among Lasius and there are brevicornis as dark as the second one for sure. If you really think it's niger-group though I can't really give any great input
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users