• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Hill, Slatter's Colony Journal

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Andrewslatter - Posted December 1 2019 - 12:21 AM

Andrewslatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Locationtigard oregon
Hi names andrew, i got me a tetramorium queen. I've had her for about 3 weeks. She has about 15 workers and large brood pile. Super excited about ant keeping, they are just a blast to watch work!

#2 Offline Andrewslatter - Posted December 1 2019 - 8:52 AM

Andrewslatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Locationtigard oregon
So I'm constantly changing up there protein diet and sugar source. It seems to really be beneficial to them and its fun finding out likes and dislikes. Like a Corndogs and cake :)

#3 Offline Andrewslatter - Posted December 2 2019 - 7:52 AM

Andrewslatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Locationtigard oregon
So found a new protien my tetramorium go nuts over, cooked chicken. I put a piece in and its everybody on deck full assault on it to haul it back into the nest. Also its been a steady go to for protien and they don't seem to get tired of it. I have heard that they can be finicky from time to time. I expect a big brood influx followed by a lot more new workers.

Edited by Andrewslatter, December 2 2019 - 8:38 AM.

#4 Offline Andrewslatter - Posted December 3 2019 - 1:12 AM

Andrewslatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Locationtigard oregon
A little turkey and a bit of pie makes for an ant thanksgiving feast. Its a holiday hit!!! :D

Edited by Andrewslatter, December 3 2019 - 1:19 AM.

#5 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 3 2019 - 1:59 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
That’s cool! Just bring their nest over to the dinner table and have a Thanksgiving dinner with them! Lol

#6 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted December 3 2019 - 2:02 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I would have done that but mine are in hibernation so they would be a bit antisocial...

• Mettcollsuss likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#7 Offline Andrewslatter - Posted December 4 2019 - 12:21 PM

Andrewslatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Locationtigard oregon
So in the colony a lot of larvae are on verge of becoming fully fledged ants. They also have been moving brood around. I assume its temp thing "to hot, to cold" :)

#8 Offline Andrewslatter - Posted December 5 2019 - 7:01 AM

Andrewslatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Locationtigard oregon
Brood pile continues to grow. It is amazing when the queen is dialed in she is like a conveyor belt of eggs!

Edited by Andrewslatter, December 5 2019 - 7:02 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#9 Offline Andrewslatter - Posted December 6 2019 - 12:27 AM

Andrewslatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Locationtigard oregon
Queen be laying, brood be growing, workers be toiling away "whistle while u work" :D

Edited by Andrewslatter, December 6 2019 - 12:31 AM.

#10 Offline Andrewslatter - Posted December 6 2019 - 3:00 PM

Andrewslatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Locationtigard oregon
Interesting my colony is taking more sweets in than meat. Lately them been all over anything protien but now they skip it for the most part and go for the sugar. Apparently someone got a sweet tooth in the colony!!! ;)

#11 Offline Andrewslatter - Posted December 7 2019 - 9:22 PM

Andrewslatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Locationtigard oregon
Just gave them big fat cricket butt. Let me tell ya they ain't saying no to this crack! :o

Edited by Andrewslatter, December 7 2019 - 9:23 PM.

#12 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 8 2019 - 3:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Interesting my colony is taking more sweets in than meat. Lately them been all over anything protien but now they skip it for the most part and go for the sugar. Apparently someone got a sweet tooth in the colony!!! ;)

They probably want to tank up on sugar for hibernation. The brood may be growing slower, too, if it has cooled down, so they would need less protein.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#13 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted December 8 2019 - 8:15 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Just gave them big fat cricket butt. Let me tell ya they ain't saying no to this crack! :o

And this is why I'm glad I'm not keeping Tetra.

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#14 Offline Andrewslatter - Posted December 12 2019 - 4:10 AM

Andrewslatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Locationtigard oregon
Big news on The Hill today. The great move was a success. Original tube was bone dry, so with a little persuasion of some bright light, it convinced them to move to the new tube. Yay! :D

#15 Offline Andrewslatter - Posted December 15 2019 - 12:19 AM

Andrewslatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Locationtigard oregon
So touching base from the hill, the news today is new tube/new home is doing great all ants are in it to win it and loving it they have now grown numbers "as expected with new tube" enough to haul a whole Cricket back into their colony and disassemble it. They've become little ravounous monsters! :o

Edited by Andrewslatter, December 15 2019 - 12:19 AM.

#16 Offline Andrewslatter - Posted December 16 2019 - 9:51 AM

Andrewslatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Locationtigard oregon
As the colony grows I have also noticed an aggressiveness now when I am adding food to there mini outworld. When I open the lid the few that are in the outworld react to the air change and my human smell. They extend there front half into the air with mandibles open ready to bite at the slightest touch. Also when they're are doing this their antenna are doing slow wide circles, tasting the air for danger.

#17 Offline Andrewslatter - Posted December 31 2019 - 4:42 PM

Andrewslatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Locationtigard oregon
In the hill today, colony has had a huge boost in workers. A lot of larvae finally grew up, all at the same time. Now they have quite the workforce to move around larger food items.

Edited by Andrewslatter, December 31 2019 - 4:44 PM.

#18 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 1 2020 - 4:56 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Big news on The Hill today. The great move was a success. Original tube was bone dry, so with a little persuasion of some bright light, it convinced them to move to the new tube. Yay! :D

Lucky! I had to dump mine due to flooding! One queen drowned and the other (I think they were tsushimae) died of parasites! (presumably) Most ants are so stubborn. Some would rather die than leave their beloved homes, which are no longer hospitable for them to live in.

Edited by AntsDakota, January 1 2020 - 4:58 PM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#19 Offline Andrewslatter - Posted January 9 2020 - 3:17 PM

Andrewslatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Locationtigard oregon
Hello from The Hill, lots of things have been happening over the last week. First off I have moved them again into their final home a antscanada hybrid nest "its super cool". A little convincing with a bright light got them to move right in! They took to it quickly, queen has settled on one chamber while workers move eggs into others. Also I think I might have a lasius queen and some workers in another test tube setup, not sure I will put up a pic later to help id.

Edited by Andrewslatter, January 9 2020 - 10:17 PM.

#20 Offline Andrewslatter - Posted January 18 2020 - 12:32 PM

Andrewslatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Locationtigard oregon
In "The Hill" today colony is doing great. Its growing bigger everyday and they are starting to explore more of their hybrid nest. Can't wait till the colony is large enough to add a outworld. I'm gonna do a diy self project outworld and I got lots of ideas!!! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users