• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Poll: What is your experience on introducing others to antkeeping?

intorducing the hobby

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Poll: Introducing others to antkeeping. (14 member(s) have cast votes)

What has your experience been?

1. Some think it is rather interesting, while most think that I am bonkers, or don't care at all. (10 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

2. Very few think that it is interesting, most ignore me. (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Most are interested, some simply don't care. (2 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. Everyone is highly interested, and thinks that antkeeping is a great idea! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. No one whatsoever is interested, they either don't care, or call me an insane fool. (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

6. It is very 50/50, some very interested, others not at all. (0 votes [0.00%])

7. None of the above. Experience commented below. (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 27 2019 - 7:21 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Well I thought this would be an interesting topic, so I decided to make a poll. I hope that you find this an interesting topic.

P. S.Also, should I make the votes public, sorry for my ignorance.

Edited by NickAnter, November 28 2019 - 3:50 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 28 2019 - 3:31 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,414 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Interesting thread. I’ve only really introduced my twin brother to ant keeping. He’s kept a colony of Tetramorium and even found me a few Camponotus castaneus queens.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 28 2019 - 4:35 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I've only had one person become interested enough to actually look into antkeeping themselves.

• ANTdrew likes this

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted November 28 2019 - 6:43 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

It's really hard to shake the image of 'The Ants Go Marching' and the whole 'ants stealing bread crumbs from picnics' idea. It is never mentioned, but I'm certain quite a few people dismiss me because of the simple, childish ways in which society depicts ants.

• AntsBC and ANTdrew like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users