• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Brand new. Two questions on Light and housing material

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline aznphenom - Posted October 31 2019 - 12:05 PM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I just discovered about this hobby about 2 days ago and got hooked instantly. I have reached out to a GAN farmer on Nylanderia SP.

My main question is light. I love the idea of the Omni Nest From AntsCanada. Being new, I want to see the whole colony 24/7 but then I see everyone keep talking about darkness. Is that just for the beginning when the queen is in the test tube? or the span of their life? If the former then I feel like the Omni Nest is useless for me. I want my nest to be on my computer desk so I can watch them. If I have to keep them in a closet then maybe ant keeping can't be my thing.

2nd. Are ants fine with just walking on acrylic or these fake tunnels or do they want to dig and create their tunnels in dirt/sand? I just want them to be comfortable and feel natural. Can I add dirt to these formicariums or keep it clear and just have hard materials in the outworlds.

Thank You ahead for any help.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this
Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#2 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted October 31 2019 - 12:26 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

I've never kept Nylanderia, but an Omni Nest is probably way too big for them currently, and may be unsuitable for the species as they are very small and could escape. I would recommend a 4mm Dirt Box formicarium made by dspdrew, the owner of this forum. It has a narrow space filled with dirt where the ants can dig, so you will be able to see them, and a large hydration chamber that is simple to fill. You also will not have to worry about nest size as the ants will make their own. They used to be sold on Amazon but now can be ordered by contacting dspdrew via private message on the forum. A Mini Hearth from Tarheel Ants is a great choice as well.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#3 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted October 31 2019 - 12:27 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Concerning darkness, it isn't really needed for most ants, but covering up the nest with a sheet of clear red plastic when you aren't watching them can be helpful. 

• aznphenom likes this

Currently keeping:

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#4 Offline aznphenom - Posted October 31 2019 - 12:45 PM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I've never kept Nylanderia, but an Omni Nest is probably way too big for them currently, and may be unsuitable for the species as they are very small and could escape. I would recommend a 4mm Dirt Box formicarium made by dspdrew, the owner of this forum. It has a narrow space filled with dirt where the ants can dig, so you will be able to see them, and a large hydration chamber that is simple to fill. You also will not have to worry about nest size as the ants will make their own. They used to be sold on Amazon but now can be ordered by contacting dspdrew via private message on the forum. A Mini Hearth from Tarheel Ants is a great choice as well.

Thanks. I just realized that there is a marketplace on this forum and have reached out to the local sellers. So I am not sure what species I will have. Hopefully something very easy. I was talking about the vertical Omni Nest. It is huge but I can close off the chambers. I like it for the clear views and the expandablity so I don't have to transfer them between housing. Plus, I am not a huge fan of the tubes. Because my computer desk is limited in space. I love the outworld and formicarium in one.

Edited by aznphenom, October 31 2019 - 12:45 PM.

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#5 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted October 31 2019 - 1:14 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

The vertical Omni Nest is apparently very easy for ants for to escape from, and gets all around terrible reviews.

Currently keeping:

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#6 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 31 2019 - 1:17 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Omni nest vertical also has hydration issues
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#7 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 31 2019 - 1:21 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois
The Omninest verticale is the pinnacle of what happens when you're the Elon Musk of bad ideas...

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#8 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 31 2019 - 1:24 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

The Omninest verticale is the pinnacle of what happens when you're the Elon Musk of bad ideas...

In my opinion, it's a nice concept, but could have better execution.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#9 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 31 2019 - 1:27 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois
The fact it's made out of plastic is terrible as well...not disagreeing, but it is bad all around

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users