• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Prepping for next season

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 28 2019 - 6:59 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
Okay so I missed this year's nuptial flights entirely, but that's okay because I can use the time to prepare for next year.

Up on going for Acromyrmex Versicolor again, I really want to try to unlock the secret to make a colony of these lovely ladies work.

So today I bought two nice soft firebricks. I will be working to create my very own custom formicarium designed to house leafcutter ants. Most leaf cutter set ups are clear acrylic boxes with the fungus just placed in. I get the idea behind this, an empty box is easy to adjust the temp and humidity. But honestly I kind of hate that look, I much prefer the more natural looks of formicariums. So here's my plan.

So what I am going to try and do is take the two firebricks and epoxy them together and then begin carving. I want to carve out a kind of rounded cave like shape (think a hearth style formicarium). Then fill the inner cavity with grout and a layer of sand to give it that nice natural look. And stick the bricks in an acrylic box. If the box is too big I will fill in the spaces with hydrostone.

At each corner I want to drill a long thin hole and stick a long thin sponge inside that will actually stick out past the bricks on the bottom. In the center bottom I want to hollow out a round disk shape and again stick sponge in there. All this will be placed on top of a large water reservoir with holes drilled into the top and the sponges will hang down into the water(my inspiration for this comes from Drew and his starter formacaria).

Then a heat gauge and aquarium heater will be added to the water the idea is to heat the water a couple degrees above the desired levels I want the formicarium to be. The warm water will evaporate into the empty cooler space of the formicarium heating it up and humidifying the entire thing.

The desired result is a formicarium that will mimic how leaf cutter ants build their nests naturally, while still providing the heat and humidity they need.

Comments, ideas, suggestions are totally welcome.
  • zantezaint likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users