• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

FinWins Fresh Pogomyrmex californicus bicolor Journal

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FinWins - Posted August 20 2022 - 4:25 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

So I decided to start a new journal so that people don’t have to scroll though the old journal’s process of getting them identified. With that out of the way let’s get on with the journal.

On June 25th I found these four queens at the local park between 6:00 and 7:00 pm. When I got home I got them in test tubes two each and put them in my founding queen box.
Edit: Both pairs of queens had dandelion seeds to eat in their test tubes.

Edited by FinWins, August 20 2022 - 4:28 PM.

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#2 Offline FinWins - Posted August 20 2022 - 4:29 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

On July 26th one pair of queens had a batch of eggs and a small larva.

Edit: We will call this colony C2 snd the other colony C1

Edited by FinWins, August 20 2022 - 4:34 PM.

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#3 Offline FinWins - Posted August 20 2022 - 4:36 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Today as of August 20th C1 has a brand new batch of eggs that they just laid about day ago. While C2 has a large egg pile and one naked pupa that is starting to eclose.

#4 Offline FinWins - Posted August 27 2022 - 11:22 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Today I moved colony C2 to a new test tube as their old one was out of water and very dirty. Also the reason I’ve been holding off on moving the two queens is because I was waiting the the first worker to eclose and yesterday the new worker finally eclosed and is now wobbling around while it’s legs harden.

Here is a picture from the move and of the new worker.

image.jpg

• aqandres4 likes this

#5 Offline FinWins - Posted September 3 2022 - 5:29 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

As of today the C2 colony is still doing well in their new test tube and C1’s eggs have now turned into small larva.

#6 Offline FinWins - Posted September 9 2022 - 5:29 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

C2’s second pupa should eclose soon!

#7 Offline FinWins - Posted October 14 2022 - 9:24 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Both colonies have workers now and are thriving!

#8 Offline FinWins - Posted October 26 2022 - 3:08 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

So about a week ago I put each colony into their own tuperware with some playsand as a substrate. They seem to be doing well now.

image.jpg

#9 Offline FinWins - Posted January 9 2023 - 10:23 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Ok it’s been a while since I updated on these guys and I felt that they deserved it. So far both colonies have done very well and are now beginning to reach the boom fase as they each have about 25-45 workers and both colonies still have two queens each in each.

#10 Offline FinWins - Posted February 1 2023 - 5:04 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Both colonies have exploded in growth!!! :D  (y)
image.jpg

image.jpg

They sure do love their sugars for a Pogonomyrmex 

#11 Offline Locness - Posted August 9 2023 - 11:16 AM

Locness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update? They do not appear to be bicolor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users