• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My colony of Russians Messor structor

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kaban_Kabanus - Posted October 19 2019 - 12:33 PM

Kaban_Kabanus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationRussia

Hello :)

I am from Russia and I have Messor structor, Lasius niger and Tetramorium caespitum.

The largest colony is the Messor structor. This colony is 1.5 years old but it is so large that it does not fit in standard acrylic formicaria. So I had to make them formicaria from the aquarium. I filmed the whole process with detailed instructions on how to do this.

For this video, I specially made subtitles so that lovers of ants from other countries can watch it.

I have no purpose to gain views, likes or subscribers. I believe that ants are very friendly inhabitants of the planet Earth and they can help people from other countries become friends and learn from each other new and interesting :)
I will be very happy to make new friends :)
Since I do not speak English very well, I sometimes use a translator :)
I put a link to my video about formicarius and if I suddenly violated some forum rules, I beg you to excuse me because I did not it on purpose.
I wish everyone a good mood, good health to your pets and many, many new friends :)
If you have questions about my formicaria, then I will be happy to answer them :) Thank you all for your attention and the opportunity to chat :)
And this is my colony:

Edited by Kaban_Kabanus, October 19 2019 - 12:35 PM.

• dspdrew, Leo, Martialis and 3 others like this

#2 Offline FSTP - Posted October 19 2019 - 3:13 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Welcome to the Formiculture Ant Keeping Forum where we discuss ants and ant keeping! 

I watched your vide and you did a a great job with the formicarium you built. I had the subtiltes on since I don't understand Russian and I found it pretty funny that it translated Queen into Uterus. So every time you mentioned the Queen it said Uterus. 

Your ants seem happy in thier new home.

• Kaban_Kabanus likes this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 19 2019 - 3:27 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Privet! That’s cool to have a Russian ant-keeper on here. I, too, keep Tetramorium ants. They’re a lot of fun.
  • TennesseeAnts and Kaban_Kabanus like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Kaban_Kabanus - Posted October 20 2019 - 12:13 AM

Kaban_Kabanus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationRussia

Welcome to the Formiculture Ant Keeping Forum where we discuss ants and ant keeping! 

I watched your vide and you did a a great job with the formicarium you built. I had the subtiltes on since I don't understand Russian and I found it pretty funny that it translated Queen into Uterus. So every time you mentioned the Queen it said Uterus. 

Your ants seem happy in thier new home.

Hello! I am very glad that you took the time to watch a video about my ants, and I am very glad that you liked their house :)
The translator really has certain problems, so I try to write subtitles as simple phrases as possible so that he makes fewer mistakes :)
In the near future I will publish a video on how to quickly make a portable form for Tetramorium caespitum. I had to urgently move them out of the incubator, because mold appeared there :(
But everything worked out very well, and I decided that it would be useful if I share this experience :)

• FSTP likes this

#5 Offline Kaban_Kabanus - Posted October 20 2019 - 12:17 AM

Kaban_Kabanus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationRussia

Privet! That’s cool to have a Russian ant-keeper on here. I, too, keep Tetramorium ants. They’re a lot of fun.

Privet :)))))

I am very glad to meet you and your warm welcome :)

I will be very glad if we can learn from each other something new :)
My Tetramorium caespitum in the incubator got mold and I had to urgently move them to quarantine. I will soon post a video on how to make such a formicaria in 1 day to save the colony :)

#6 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 20 2019 - 6:15 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

My Tetramorium caespitum in the incubator got mold and I had to urgently move them to quarantine. I will soon post a video on how to make such a formicaria in 1 day to save the colony :)
He's probably going to make a formicariums that's way better than THA's formicariums in 1 day lol. You're really good at making formicariums :), I'm jealous lol!

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#7 Offline Kaban_Kabanus - Posted October 20 2019 - 6:51 AM

Kaban_Kabanus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationRussia

He's probably going to make a formicariums that's way better than THA's formicariums in 1 day lol. You're really good at making formicariums :), I'm jealous lol!

Just always need to look for a way out of the situation so that it is as effective as possible, and not the simplest and most expensive.

#8 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 20 2019 - 6:52 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Thanks for the advice! Glad to have you on the forums :)

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#9 Offline Kaban_Kabanus - Posted October 20 2019 - 7:03 AM

Kaban_Kabanus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationRussia

Thanks for the advice! Glad to have you on the forums :)

Thanks for watching my projects, I am very glad to communicate :)

• Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this

#10 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 20 2019 - 7:33 AM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
Privet Comrade.

Loved the video, translators are hilarious.

The whole design looks astounding, great job

#11 Offline Kaban_Kabanus - Posted October 20 2019 - 9:36 AM

Kaban_Kabanus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationRussia

Privet Comrade.

Loved the video, translators are hilarious.

The whole design looks astounding, great job

Hello Friend :)

I am very pleased to hear such a high praise :)
We tried very hard and are very glad that you liked it :)
We will try to make even more fun and informative videos :)

#12 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 20 2019 - 9:37 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

That's a video I can get behind!

#13 Offline Kaban_Kabanus - Posted October 20 2019 - 9:45 AM

Kaban_Kabanus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationRussia

I am not translating very well, could you write a little more fully?

#14 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 20 2019 - 9:48 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

That video idea is something I could support and 'get behind'. Educational and fun? perfect for teaching about ants and enjoying it. One of the best ideas I have heard in a long time  

#15 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 20 2019 - 9:48 AM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana

It's an American saying that roughly means "I support this"

#16 Offline Kaban_Kabanus - Posted October 20 2019 - 9:52 AM

Kaban_Kabanus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationRussia

It's an American saying that roughly means "I support this"

Good day :) Thank you very much for your help :)

#17 Offline Kaban_Kabanus - Posted October 20 2019 - 9:58 AM

Kaban_Kabanus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationRussia

That video idea is something I could support and 'get behind'. Educational and fun? perfect for teaching about ants and enjoying it. One of the best ideas I have heard in a long time  

Wow! That sounds very cool :) Thanks a lot for such a high rating :)

I also want to separately make a section with macro photography on a microscope. I think it will be interesting to observe the unpacking of the cocoons and how they look after the larvae :)

• Kalidas likes this

#18 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 20 2019 - 10:01 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Nice! Macro pictures are very cool if you have the right lenses and cameras

#19 Offline Kaban_Kabanus - Posted October 20 2019 - 10:06 AM

Kaban_Kabanus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationRussia

Nice! Macro pictures are very cool if you have the right lenses and cameras

I will definitely show them in the near future so that their quality can be appreciated and maybe I can get some advice on this :)

#20 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 20 2019 - 10:08 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I used to know someone who took really good Macropictures. In the meantime you can just make a thread asking for help with Macro pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users