• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help! Queen's wings get stuck and she can't move

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mandelstam - Posted October 6 2019 - 3:11 AM

Mandelstam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

I have this L niger queen which hasn't gotten any workers yet. Her first setup was a small pill bottle and she laid eggs in there. Two months later none have hatched/eclosed. The cotton also got overridden with mites. Yesterday I decided to forcefully move her into a test tube with new clean cotton. She immediately laid a few more eggs in there.

Late last night I checked on her and her wing (she only has one left) was stuck to some condensation on the glass so she was basically hanging from her wing and couldn't pull herself free. I tapped the tube until she got free. This morning I checked on her again and now she was stuck the same way but on the moist cotton. 

What can I do to prevent this? The problem is that her legs won't find any hold to pull herself free when she gets stuck like that. 

And also, can a non mated queen lay unfertilized eggs? Is that what she's doing and why they won't develop?

Lastly, should I offer her food? I've tried before but she wasn't interested really. I'm just worried that without any workers for a long time to pamper her she will get weaker. 

WCcPY8C.png

#2 Offline camponotuskeeper - Posted October 6 2019 - 7:18 AM

camponotuskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWashington
Unfertilized eggs hatch into males so no they would develop. The wing would have to come off or it will get stuck on condensation at some point I think. Do some research on the species to see if they need food during their founding period, this is known as a fully claustral species.

Edited by camponotuskeeper, October 6 2019 - 7:18 AM.

• Mandelstam likes this

#3 Offline Mandelstam - Posted October 6 2019 - 7:23 AM

Mandelstam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Unfertilized eggs hatch into males so no they would develop. The wing would have to come off or it will get stuck on condensation at some point I think. Do some research on the species to see if they need food during their founding period, this is known as a fully claustral species.

Maybe just plainly remove it with a small sharp pair of scissors? I have a pair of very small and very sharp. 

#4 Offline Mandelstam - Posted October 6 2019 - 7:50 AM

Mandelstam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Surgical removal of wings complete. She actually had both her wings left. 

I got her out of the tube, held her gently between my fingers and snip snip cut off both her wings. Didn't try to cut them too close but just so there wouldn't be anything large that could get stuck to any wet surfaces or condensation. 

PhzKqIq.png

ITqCbbd.png

6xGsP8I.png

• Mettcollsuss and DDD101DDD like this

#5 Offline PoezeWoefke - Posted October 6 2019 - 11:45 AM

PoezeWoefke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Next year when you go out hunting for queens ( especialy Lasius niger ) keep walking around until you find one that had thrown off her wings.

L. nigers are literly everywhere during nuptial events.

But yeah cutting part of the wings could help you with this one :-)

• ANTdrew, Wa.Va and Mandelstam like this

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted October 7 2019 - 3:19 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

could be infertile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users