• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is It Counterproductive to Heat Fall Queens?

queen heat

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted September 28 2019 - 7:40 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Many late flying ants, like LasiusCrematogaster, and Myrmica, wait until after hibernation to lay their first eggs. Because there is no brood production going on in the two months or so before they go dormant, does heating fall flying queens do nothing but harm, causing them to burn more calories with faster, 80 degree metabolisms? 

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 29 2019 - 3:05 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
My house is still 80deg, but I don’t think any supplemental heat is necessary.
  • Antennal_Scrobe likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline dermy - Posted September 29 2019 - 9:02 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Depends where you are from I suppose. Up in the great white north I've noticed some ants might lay eggs if kept room temperature during the winter, but a lot of the time they will not until they are subjected to at least 1-2 months of Hibernation. I'd say give it a week, if nothing is laying for you it might be just better off hibernating them and waking them up in a few months time. Hibernation for a lot of species of ants, esp. Northern ones is something you can't really skimp on. Even if you don't hibernate them they will often just go into a state of diapause anyway.

Generally speaking, if you get harsh winters outside you def. need to give your colonies some Hibernation. When I kept ants anything that flew after August needed to be hibernated for me. That may not be the case for a lot of people (especially considering that for my area September is usually nice at the start but we can get anything from an extra month of summer to literal winter temperatures in the negatives  at night time incl. frost and snow.) I'd say go with what you see outside.

Edited by dermy, September 29 2019 - 9:06 AM.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

#4 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted September 29 2019 - 9:05 AM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Depends where you are from I suppose. Up in the great white north I've noticed some ants might lay eggs if kept room temperature during the winter, but a lot of the time they will not until they are subjected to at least 1-2 months of Hibernation. I'd say give it a week, if nothing is laying for you it might be just better off hibernating them and waking them up in a few months time. Hibernation for a lot of species of ants, esp. Northern ones is something you can't really skimp on. Even if you don't hibernate them they will often just go into a state of diapause anyway.

I wasn't really asking about hibernation, but the period before it, when ants outside are still active. 

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#5 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted September 29 2019 - 10:02 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Generally speaking, if you get harsh winters outside you def. need to give your colonies some Hibernation. When I kept ants anything that flew after August needed to be hibernated for me. That may not be the case for a lot of people (especially considering that for my area September is usually nice at the start but we can get anything from an extra month of summer to literal winter temperatures in the negatives  at night time incl. frost and snow.) I'd say go with what you see outside.

I agree, and if I may add on, it depends when you catch them (early august you can heat, but September queens I wouldn't heat)

• FeedTheAnts and Antennal_Scrobe like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: queen, heat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users