• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Kadin's Pheidole hyatti bicolored journal

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Offline KadinB - Posted February 13 2022 - 10:58 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
On 2/5/22 I collected a small colony of Pheidole hyatti in Bangor CA. So, I was out looking for colonies under a rock and lifted a rock and found this colony. I got super exited because I have been wanting to get them. The queen was right there but I didn't have my aspirator ready, so she went into a tunnel and was gone. I tried to dig a bit with my hand and couldn't find her. I was than super disappointed that I couldn't find her. I moved on to look for another colony. That colony had about 30-40 workers total when I lifted the rock. I then decided to go back there about 20 minutes later to see if I could find her at all. I got down on my knees and scooped my hand at where I saw her go in and she was right there at the bottom of the hole where the rock was at. I then went for her with a test tube because I broke the last vial to my aspirator when looking for other colonies. I scooped her up and had her in there. Because I left the spot for about 20 minutes most workers were gone.I was only able to find 8 and collected them up. I also didn't see any brood at all.

I then went home and put her into a test tube along with her 8 workers. I woke up the next morning to check on them and all the workers were curled up in a ball "dead". I was very sad that they were all "dead". The queen was still alive. I than had to go to school. When I got back from school, I checked on her and saw 4 workers alive and was very confused to how they were alive after seeing them all clearly dead and curled up into a ball. My hope was up again for them but there were 4 other workers that were dead and never came back to life. I gave them a small amount of sugar water and they didn't seem too interested in it. I than gave them a cricket leg and the queen laid around 20 eggs. I gave them another cricket leg a few days ago from today. Currently they have 4 workers and around 20 eggs. I was also told that the colony is bicolored which is cool. They have very nice colors. Here's a description of them that I put on iNaturalist.

Workers: nearly fully black with tiny bits of orange

Majors: orange head and half of the thorax is orange than the other half of the thorax is black and the gaster is black.

Queens: fully black gaster, dark orange thorax, and a dark red head.

Hyatt's Big-headed Ant (Pheidole hyatti) from La Porte Rd, Bangor, CA, US on February 05, 2022 at 05:24 PM by kadin0721. The worker/majors/queens found at this location have darker colors than normal. They were said to... · iNaturalist

Link to iNaturist observation ^^^^^^^^

I am going to be keeping this colony for quite a while and I will try to keep them updated as much as possible. I have been very busy recently, so I haven't had much time to update journals and stuff like that.

Pictures below.

Edited by KadinB, March 27 2022 - 1:46 AM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#2 Offline KadinB - Posted February 13 2022 - 11:01 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
423b28ceb5a4d1349de241cbfc49013c.jpg

2d5dfa62a4267d07cdcfc2d47527a612.jpg

02e51262af0dc8efc1f3c8dc07588669.jpg
  • AntBoi3030, m99 and antsriondel like this

#3 Offline antsriondel - Posted February 14 2022 - 6:47 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

423b28ceb5a4d1349de241cbfc49013c.jpg

2d5dfa62a4267d07cdcfc2d47527a612.jpg

02e51262af0dc8efc1f3c8dc07588669.jpg

nice!!! pheidole are awesome!!! (y)

• KadinB likes this

#4 Offline KadinB - Posted February 27 2022 - 4:31 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

This colony is doing great right now. All four workers are still alive and so is the queen. They have tons of fat larvae right now and a bunch of small larvae and eggs. I love the growth of these guys. I should be getting some majors out of these guys soon. I will probably move them into a mini hearth once they outgrow their test tube. 

pictures below 

129b1faeef9cf60e884df48c75cc2c0c.jpg

ecdea02fb07df12688b9edbdbc366ef1.jpg

efa0b405f2299b47e0e8360ee113ccf2.jpg
  • TacticalHandleGaming, m99 and United-Ants like this

#5 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted February 27 2022 - 4:36 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada
Awesome ants! I wish I could catch pheidole.
  • KadinB, azzaaazzzz00, DaAnt and 1 other like this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#6 Offline antsriondel - Posted February 28 2022 - 6:51 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Awesome ants! I wish I could catch pheidole.

yeah, agreed.

• KadinB and United-Ants like this

#7 Offline KadinB - Posted March 3 2022 - 9:15 AM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
Pupae soon!

393b5ecd181890dfdf0554aab0ac7ad2.jpg
  • TacticalHandleGaming and AntBoi3030 like this

#8 Offline NicholasP - Posted March 3 2022 - 10:16 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Make sure to constantly offer hyatti sugar water or some form of sugars. If P. hyatti is not given sugar water, they will start dying and eating their brood.

• KadinB likes this

#9 Offline KadinB - Posted March 3 2022 - 3:10 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Make sure to constantly offer hyatti sugar water or some form of sugars. If P. hyatti is not given sugar water, they will start dying and eating their brood.

Yeah I’ve been giving them drops of sugar water.

Edited by KadinB, March 3 2022 - 5:44 PM.

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 3 2022 - 4:25 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Poor colony. This is why I don’t condone this kind of collecting.
  • Jadeninja9 and OiledOlives like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#11 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted March 3 2022 - 5:55 PM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

You do you, but alot of us really enjoy this journal so don't bring negative topics into it please.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
  • Antkeeper01, KadinB and strawnkayden1 like this

#12 Offline KadinB - Posted March 3 2022 - 5:58 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

While I can appreciate the fact that you have an opinion, I did not ask for it please leave your negative comments elsewhere thank you!
  • Somethinghmm, Antkeeper01 and strawnkayden1 like this

#13 Offline KadinB - Posted March 3 2022 - 7:11 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
First pupae! I’ll post another pic once they get more pupae over the next few days.

e577ddc8eefa542d91b012797d6cd109.jpg
  • TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#14 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted March 3 2022 - 8:16 PM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

The colony is most likely going to live past what they would out in the wild. Colonies are known to do a lot better in captivity as long as they're not neglected. Collecting wild colonies depends on the morals and habits of the keeper. A beginner keeper that will most likely just kill the colony would not be a good keeper. Kadin is a good keeper in this aspect and the colony will probably grow big despite the inadequate circumstances. You may say poor colony now but when the colony is big I want you to remember this and take that back.

• Ants.co, Antkeeper01 and KadinB like this

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 4 2022 - 2:55 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m referring to all the colony that got orphaned. Time will tell if this captive remnant does well. In any case, I urge you to not do this kind of collecting in the future.
  • Jadeninja9 and Antkeeper01 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#16 Offline KadinB - Posted March 4 2022 - 7:23 AM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

I’m referring to all the colony that got orphaned. Time will tell if this captive remnant does well. In any case, I urge you to not do this kind of collecting in the future.

I urge you to not to go on peoples post and say negative comments that start up problems in the future. If you have an opinion keep it to yourself and don’t post it to start problems please. Thank you.

#17 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 4 2022 - 1:33 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I urge you to not to go on peoples post and say negative comments that start up problems in the future. If you have an opinion keep it to yourself and don’t post it to start problems please. Thank you.

This is a forum, so expect to hear lots of opinions and be prepared to have people disagree with you. He was not rude, and what he said is true. That wild colony could have produced more bicolored queens in the future, and other ant keepers could have found them. Instead, you took the queen and a few workers, leaving many more workers to die. I’m guilty of collecting portions of a colony as well, and every time the queen died later. It’s just not worth it.

I'd also like to add that ANTdrew has broken no rules posting here, and nothing he said will cause problems in the future. Only your choice to leave most of a colony to die will have any future consequences.

Edited by Kaelwizard, March 4 2022 - 1:39 PM.

• Jadeninja9, Antkeeper01 and OiledOlives like this

#18 Offline bmb1bee - Posted March 4 2022 - 2:35 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

What he caught was one queen out of a polygynous species, so the colony shouldn't be effected too much.

Edit: Unless if this specific colony had only one queen to start with.

Edited by bmb1bee, March 4 2022 - 2:37 PM.

• KadinB, strawnkayden1 and ColAnt735 like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#19 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 4 2022 - 3:21 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Well, that changes things. Let’s leave it at that and hope for the best for both parts of the colony.
  • Jadeninja9, Kaelwizard and KadinB like this

#20 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted March 4 2022 - 3:26 PM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

This is a forum, so expect to hear lots of opinions and be prepared to have people disagree with you. He was not rude, and what he said is true. That wild colony could have produced more bicolored queens in the future, and other ant keepers could have found them. Instead, you took the queen and a few workers, leaving many more workers to die. I’m guilty of collecting portions of a colony as well, and every time the queen died later. It’s just not worth it.

I'd also like to add that ANTdrew has broken no rules posting here, and nothing he said will cause problems in the future. Only your choice to leave most of a colony to die will have any future consequences.

I think you should do more research on the species as bmb1bee pointed out they are poly. Don't flood the forum with your opinion on how Kadin is collecting as it's very controversial and varies from keeper to keeper. I would also like to remind you this is Kadin's journal and if you don't like the way he collects his ants then tell him in dms or go to the forum that discuses this topic. 

• KadinB likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users