• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Welland Ontario, Canada September 1 2019

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Nepenthesfriend - Posted September 1 2019 - 10:43 PM

Nepenthesfriend

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
This ant has an unusual backstory as to how I found and collected her, I'll get more into that

1. Collected in Welland Ontario, Canada
2. Collected September 1st 2019
3. Strangely enough, these ants had a nuptial flight in my bathroom! They came in from my skylight and were only there for about a day and a half.
4. 1 cm exactly
5. Just black and slightly shiny as far as I can see
I don't know where this girl's nest is, like I said, I found them doing the nuptial flight in my bathroom
They appeared on August 29th around 5pm, they were gone by August 30th. Note she still has her wings.

It would not allow me to embed the images directly so I had to post them to imgur. I hope this is acceptable
http://imgur.com/a/k22JdZp

I there is any information I have failed to provide let me know

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 2 2019 - 5:54 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Crematogaster species. You lucky, lucky people.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 3 2019 - 3:39 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Crematogaster

#4 Offline Mercutia - Posted September 3 2019 - 9:40 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
Do you have better pictures? Really can’t tell from those.
  • Martialis likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users