• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica Incerta (pallidefulva group)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ForestDragon - Posted September 1 2019 - 11:40 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

So I have one formica Incerta queen (commonly called pallidefulva) and she has 3 pupae but no other brood, she is a catch from this year is it normal for them to lay a few eggs than wait till workers to arrive before laying more? she has been fed sugur water just to keep her energized for when pupae need eclosing its not needed but I prefer it also I should get a heat mat to heat my ants 

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

#2 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted September 1 2019 - 11:43 AM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

That's great! My two queen pallidefulva colony has about twice that, and since incerta is basically the same thing but with a hairy gaster, I would say you are right on track.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#3 Offline Amazant - Posted September 1 2019 - 7:28 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
I’m getting a Formica pallidefulva from a local person near me and I’m super excited, also it is usually normal for queens to wait until they have workers to lay more eggs because she may not have enough fat reserves to produce more eggs, feed the larvae, and feed herself.
Also I would be careful getting a heat mat, I would wait until they have a nest that is larger than a test tube and more workers because sometimes they can’t escape the heat mats heat and will die pretty quickly, but it’s up to you.
Colonies: Formica pallidefulva, Lasius neoniger, Camponotus decipiens, Camponotus sp, Camponotus Vicinus, Crematogaster Sp

#4 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted September 2 2019 - 6:03 AM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

I fed mine a mealworm. One of the queens liked it. Feeding them once they have a fair amount of brood helps stop the larvae from eating their smaller sisters.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users