• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Flukers canned crickets kills ants?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ernteameise - Posted April 4 2024 - 12:48 PM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationGermany

Over at the Ant Keeping Reddit, there is a pinned post concerning the canned crickets by the brand Flukers.

Apparently, the colonies of several ant keepers died after feeding these canned crickets.

I have seen these popping up on Amazon.

Anyone on here had any experiences with this product?

I personally prefer to avoid it after these reports, but maybe it was just a bad charge or something.

• Locness and GOCAMPONOTUS like this

#2 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted April 4 2024 - 2:50 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.

The crickets look like they have something added to them, as if they'd been peppered. The mealworms look normal and otherwise very good, although it doesn't seem like ants like those too much either. (I'm testing Fluker's meal worms with my S. invicta.) I think it was probably just a bad batch though, considering they are known to go bad quickly so that is likely what killed the ants, not the food itself. If it does really kill ants, we know how to get rid of invasives now!

Edited by The_Gaming-gate, April 4 2024 - 2:59 PM.

• Ernteameise and GOCAMPONOTUS like this

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#3 Offline Locness - Posted April 4 2024 - 6:17 PM

Locness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I have not tried that product, but I would recommend buying and freezing your own crickets.

#4 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted April 4 2024 - 7:02 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)

I've seen these before and maybe they have some kind of preservative that may be toxic to ants. Could be wrong, be sure to let us know what happens with your invicta

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#5 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted April 5 2024 - 4:13 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
Got it. I’ll share results when I check on the invicta this evening.

#6 Offline Mushu - Posted April 5 2024 - 4:18 AM

Mushu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, California

I know bout that reddit thread and from my understanding it's just crickets that are pasteurized. There were also a few reports of beetles that  died after feeding this. It just doesn't sound better than freezing live crickets for storage so I never bothered to look into it further but I wouldn't use it with these reports until there's more information.

• Ernteameise likes this

#7 Offline toe_biter606 - Posted April 5 2024 - 11:17 AM

toe_biter606

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCanada

I had been feeding my Camponotus novaeboracensis a vacuum-sealed pack thing of mixed insects from Fluker's like https://www.reptiles...ety-mix-0-7-oz/ last year, and never had any negative effects. The main reason I did this was because I had heard roaches could contain the urea that might help Camponotus survive, but it's too expensive/illegal to get any fresh roaches in Canada. They haven't even touched it this year though. Maybe these don't contain the same preservative or mine just hadn't gone bad yet??

Edit: I just noticed these are labeled as preservative free, unlike the canned crickets

Edited by toe_biter606, April 5 2024 - 11:21 AM.

• Ernteameise and Artisan_Ants like this

#8 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted April 5 2024 - 11:22 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
I use Fluker’s canned mealworms (and crickets) myself. My Camps love them and all the other species I keep love them, and devour them; but don’t really touch the cricket. It can’t be smell as they hunt crickets in the wild themselves so it must be something else. Maybe taste? I also use the probugs Dubai roaches which work really well. Use them for my Camps and they are still devouring that thing. Like said before; it’s best to freeze them as they last longer than in the refrigerator.
  • Ernteameise likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#9 Offline Ernteameise - Posted April 5 2024 - 1:04 PM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationGermany
Yeah, I agree wirh all of you, I will keep well away.
I also buy crickets, freeze them and then dip them in boiling water before feeding.

Just for the giggles I have ordered some of the insanely overpriced blanched crickets from Antstore ( seriously, 3x as expensive as fresh live ones), I was just curious and Messor harvester keepers say the ants really like them. I will try them out and report back. No bad reports for them by the way, but it is antstore so one asumes they know which preservatives are toxic for ants.

#10 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted April 6 2024 - 6:50 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Glad to report that my S. invicta are doing fine, although the queen is seeming a bit "sleepy," this could just be due to morning temperatures. The worker in the colony also seems very active, more so than before I fed her Fluker's. One thing to note is that it turned grey and fuzzy very quickly, which is probably not too good.

• AntsCali098, Ernteameise and toe_biter606 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users