• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ever Wanted to Start Your Very Own Pinned Ant Collection? Watch This Video First!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted August 21 2019 - 6:11 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I just uploaded this video and am pretty proud of how it turned out. If you would like to learn how to properly pin ant specimens, this is the video for you. I know I could've certainly used a video like this when I was just starting out.

https://www.youtube....h?v=L8agy-tQEtc

Edited by Ferox_Formicae, August 21 2019 - 6:38 PM.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#2 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted August 21 2019 - 6:22 PM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

May we get a link to the vid? Also, I just watched the video Ants Scandinavia made about pinning ants a few hours ago so I think the universe is trying to tell me something...

Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#3 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted August 21 2019 - 6:38 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

May we get a link to the vid? Also, I just watched the video Ants Scandinavia made about pinning ants a few hours ago so I think the universe is trying to tell me something...

Oops, sorry about that! And yeah, that is a pretty weird coincidence.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#4 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted August 21 2019 - 6:41 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Oh, and I did see that video, and that was the reason I made this video, as his video did not show you how to properly pin ant specimens. He pinned them the wrong way, and I wanted to give people a correct tutorial, even though, honestly, his video will almost 100% get more views, and that's how misinformation spreads.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#5 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted August 21 2019 - 6:46 PM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Oh, and I did see that video, and that was the reason I made this video, as his video did not show you how to properly pin ant specimens. He pinned them the wrong way, and I wanted to give people a correct tutorial, even though, honestly, his video will almost 100% get more views, and that's how misinformation spreads.

That being said your video was much shorter and to the point which is a really nice change! Sadly I don't want to risk pinning since I am afraid my cats will either chew or eat the ants/pins.

Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#6 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted August 21 2019 - 7:05 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

That being said your video was much shorter and to the point which is a really nice change! Sadly I don't want to risk pinning since I am afraid my cats will either chew or eat the ants/pins.

Yikes! You could always hang them up on your wall. That's what I did for a while before I started seriously getting into the hobby of ant pinning last year.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#7 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 21 2019 - 7:10 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Great video, I was actually really considering attempting to collect every species in my area.

#8 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted August 21 2019 - 7:22 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Great video, I was actually really considering attempting to collect every species in my area.

Well, hopefully this video will give you the extra push you've needed.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#9 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 22 2019 - 2:31 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

If you are serious about maintaining a mounted collection, invest in a proper point punch, forceps, label making tools and storage containers. If left unlabeled and pinned out in the open like that the specimens will be ruined and valueless in no time flat.

#10 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted August 22 2019 - 2:47 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

If you are serious about maintaining a mounted collection, invest in a proper point punch, forceps, label making tools and storage containers. If left unlabeled and pinned out in the open like that the specimens will be ruined and valueless in no time flat.

I am certainly looking into those things. I may be able to purchase the proper materials tonight.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users