• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Slave raider species?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntJohnny - Posted August 21 2019 - 3:12 PM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMichigan Lower Pen.
I found this at my GFS house under a rock by her garden. I don't have and way to measure it or anything to take better pictures. I'm pretty sure it's a slave raiding Formica. I just want to he sure before I let it go. It just rained for about 10 mins and it's about 70 and sunny now. The link is the best pics I could get after taking about 50.

Formica? https://imgur.com/a/suxeFFO

#2 Offline Nare - Posted August 21 2019 - 3:15 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Almost looks like Polyergus (I'm basing this on looks alone, I'm probably wrong), which would be a slave raider. Rare find, but unless you've got a few Formica colonies she's probably better off on her own in the wild.

• PacificNorthWestern likes this

#3 Offline AntJohnny - Posted August 21 2019 - 3:17 PM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I actually do have a formica colony I caught at the beganing of this year. She had her nanotics about 2 months ago and is growing fast. But even if I was able to keep a slave raider colony I just wouldn't have time or experience caring for them.

#4 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted August 21 2019 - 3:17 PM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

def. polyergus

#5 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 21 2019 - 3:18 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
Looks like Polyergus montivagus. If she is, I would release her.
  • AntsBC likes this

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#6 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted August 21 2019 - 3:18 PM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

well if you do want to keep her. give her some brood from that colony or try  find a wild colony and give them that brood

#7 Offline AntJohnny - Posted August 21 2019 - 3:22 PM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
My front yard has a few young formica colonies. I will probably release her there. And hopefully next year she will have a colony there

#8 Offline AntJohnny - Posted August 21 2019 - 6:14 PM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I decided to ask a member from this forum who lives by me if he would want to try to raise this queen. If he doesn't I think I might actually want to give it a try. I've been looking them up and I think I might be able to do it. I should be getting a new formicarium and nest tommorow. I think I could use some of my formica brood.I have 2 species of formica. Also I found a few wild colonies of formica in my yard. I'm going to sleep on it tonight and see if I get a reply from the other member.

#9 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 22 2019 - 4:59 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

These ants are so hard to raise, so unless you want to spend a lot of your time collecting formica brood, I don't recommend it. They're possible to keep, just notoriously difficult, especially when they hit the hundreds. They also get the biggest colonies, since there's about 1 formica for every polyergus.

#10 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted August 22 2019 - 5:58 PM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

did you get your awnser?

#11 Offline AntJohnny - Posted August 22 2019 - 6:45 PM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
He never answered me. So after thinking about it I am going to give it a try. If at any time I feel like I am unable to care for her properly. I will release her where she was found. I gave her 3 Formica pupa and she climbed on them and has been sitting there. If she opens them when they are ready to enclose I will give her more. I only did three as a trial run. I will probably give her about a dozen if all goes well. I'm keeping her in the test tube for now. I want to get a nest that I can see in but also attached to a decent sized out world were i can put in brood for them to find. If she lays eggs and has her own workers. The pupa should enclose in a week maybe sooner I will post if she excepts them and lays eggs. I really hope that is how I'm supposed to do it lol.

#12 Offline AntJohnny - Posted August 22 2019 - 6:53 PM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Luckily my Formica subsericea queen has been laying allot lately. And I have a Formica colony that has around 100 workers. It was a double queen colony but I accidentally lost a queen when trying to attach there test tube to a out world. She bolted out and disappeared in a second. Even now when I pull back there sleeve the queen that is left bolts to the outworld trying to hide. I am unsure what species they are though.

#13 Offline Canadian anter - Posted August 22 2019 - 8:19 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
You will need at least 3 mature Formica colonoes to support Polyergus I believe
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#14 Offline AntJohnny - Posted August 22 2019 - 9:33 PM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I found a few wild colonies in my front yard. I could give my formica colony a brood boost and hopefully she will lay even more. Or I could just take from the wild colony and give to her.

#15 Offline AntJohnny - Posted August 22 2019 - 9:34 PM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
With winter coming soon everything will hibernate soon and give me extra time to get a good setup.

#16 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 22 2019 - 11:08 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
Since you seem committed I wish you the best of luck.

Edited by rbarreto, August 22 2019 - 11:13 PM.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#17 Offline AntJohnny - Posted August 23 2019 - 7:24 AM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Thank you. 😁

#18 Offline VoidElecent - Posted August 23 2019 - 10:40 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Wow! Don't see many Polyergus 'round these parts.

#19 Offline AntsBC - Posted August 23 2019 - 11:01 AM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Just to confirm, this is indeed Polyergus montivagus; due to the blackish legs, shiny gaster, and near lack of pilosity. 

Good luck raising her; it will definitely be a challenge. If you are ill-informed, start her colony as you would for a parasitic Formica colony. These ants highly prefer F. pallidefulva as hosts, so try your best to find some of them. There definitely should be some F. pallidefulva colonies in the vicinity of where you found this queen.

If you manage to get this queen past the founding stages, you should simulate slave raids as frequently as you need to keep a 10-1 host - slave raider ratio.

Edited by AntsBC, August 23 2019 - 12:01 PM.

• rbarreto likes this

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#20 Offline AntJohnny - Posted August 27 2019 - 1:10 PM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Sadly she has died. I don't know if she wasnt fertile or if it was something I did. She had water and I gave her a drop of honey and a PC of meal worm that she ate most off. If I find another space raider special I'm not going to try to raise one unless I have had months of studying and everything I need for sure.

I know someone made a post asking for preserved specimens I will try to find the poster of it and see if he would like her for there collection.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users