• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Captive bred Stigmatomma?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Canadian anter - Posted August 21 2019 - 8:36 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
So this year an antkeeper from Guelph and I collaborated to attempt to breed Stigmatomma pallipes in captivity. We captures 2-3 mature colonies of around 40 individuals and placed them in a semi-naturalistic setup with a few test tubes and items on which the Stigmatomma queens could spread their pheromones. A few days ago we came back to see that several of the previously-winged Stigmatomma pallipes Queens had shed their wings and left the original nests into the outworld, along with several dead males. These were found 2-3 days after the queen alates initially had eclosed, which upon further reading has been the normal time after éclosion when nuptial flights occur for this species. Wild Stigmatomma pallipes was also flying outside at the time. (We attempted to mimic outside conditions). Would it be reasonable to assume that a nuptial flight had occurred?
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#2 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted August 21 2019 - 8:55 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania
Yes, this species has also been known to mate in the nest.

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 21 2019 - 12:23 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Perhaps this should be attempted with a species that is not known to mate in the nest.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 21 2019 - 2:04 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Workers can be fertilized, this was actually an idea of mine, would be a good source for research and a great moneymaker if you wish. Still looking for any sign of these ants, how do you capture that many colonies at once.

#5 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted August 21 2019 - 2:22 PM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida
With separate colonies some species of Odontomachus are easily bred.

#6 Offline Canadian anter - Posted August 21 2019 - 3:49 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Workers can be fertilized, this was actually an idea of mine, would be a good source for research and a great moneymaker if you wish. Still looking for any sign of these ants, how do you capture that many colonies at once.

I have a few areas where I could catch 3-4 colonies in a day if I needed to. Holding off tho since they're normally so hard to find
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#7 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 21 2019 - 4:25 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I have a few areas where I could catch 3-4 colonies in a day if I needed to. Holding off tho since they're normally so hard to find

Good gosh. I thought Canada was bad for anting.

#8 Offline Canadian anter - Posted August 21 2019 - 4:44 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Stigmatomma like a really really specific type of habitat from what I see, and I have no mind to deplete those areas

#9 Offline ForestDragon - Posted August 24 2019 - 9:41 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

What kind of habitat do you find them? I have seen one worker before but I didn't capture her cuz it was a worker

#10 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 24 2019 - 9:43 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

workers can become gamergates.

#11 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 24 2019 - 9:45 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Yea you need a male though.

#12 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 24 2019 - 9:48 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Males are flying right now, I can easily attract them with lights when they fly.

#13 Offline ForestDragon - Posted August 24 2019 - 9:48 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

Where could I find these guys I have some woods behind my house I could look in Would i sift through leaf litter? and the only difference I see between workers and queens is that queens have 3 segments on their gaster and workers have 4

#14 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 24 2019 - 9:50 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Wing scars. I have no experience with collecting them, I think they live in leaf litter and under flat stones.

#15 Offline ForestDragon - Posted August 24 2019 - 11:21 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

Wing scars. I have no experience with collecting them, I think they live in leaf litter and under flat stones.

Well I have some large woods behind my grandmas house and I could look there I don't think anyone has been there in years

#16 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 24 2019 - 2:09 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

that's a good thing, environment will be undisturbed.

#17 Offline Canadian anter - Posted August 24 2019 - 2:55 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I don't believe Stigmatomma have gamergates

#18 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 24 2019 - 7:57 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I don't believe Stigmatomma have gamergates

Pallipes probably don't, I got confused because ants from the reclinatum group do.

#19 Offline Ant_KeeperSeb09 - Posted August 7 2020 - 8:01 AM

Ant_KeeperSeb09

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCanada,Quebec

Stigmatomma like a really really specific type of habitat from what I see, and I have no mind to deplete those areas

Where? I want some stigmatomma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users