• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Polygynous Lasius americanus Journal(Over 250 workers!)

lasius eastern sierras

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#161 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 10 2020 - 3:13 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Hmm. I find their larval stage is actually very fast.

Also, I estimate the polygynous colony to have at least 50 brood. And 30 workers. At this rate, and if they keep laying in batches like this, they will have over 200 workers by the end of the year, which would be very impressive for Lasius. I wonder if yours could be too hot AntDrew. Mine are at about 77. In about a 68-77 degree room.

Queen 1) 10 workers, 7 cocoons, and about 20 eggs and small larvae.

Queen 2) About 14 workers, with about 20 brood. These are harder to see because the queen stands over the brood and workers, on the moldy cotton.

Complete Invalid

Trio) About 60 brood, and 30 workers. A few larger cocoons that will be larger workers, but still far smaller than those in mature colonies.

Queen 4) 10 workers, and about 10 brood. Its very hard to judge what brood they have, as they hide it in the cotton. They certainly have less than all the other colonies though.

Diet- I have been feeding them THA's ant juice, which they love all parts of. I mix it up, with the standard mixture, just the sugar, my sugar water mixture, mealworms, and today I will do just the protein mix.

• ANTdrew, AntsDakota and mantisgal like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#162 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 10 2020 - 3:15 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Impressive growth.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#163 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 10 2020 - 3:38 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Good point, my queen’s kept in the upper 80s. I raised three Crematogaster and my Formica queen in the exact same conditions, though.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#164 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 10 2020 - 4:15 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Good point, my queen’s kept in the upper 80s. I raised three Crematogaster and my Formica queen in the exact same conditions, though.

It seems Lasius don’t like higher temperatures like other genera do.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#165 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 10 2020 - 4:46 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Yeah, all colonies except Queen 1's keep all their brood at the coolest end of the tube.

• AntsDakota likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#166 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 11 2020 - 6:55 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Aight, I took my Nerdbox neoniger off the heat cable today. Sounds counterintuitive, but I'm willing to try anything at this point.

• AntsDakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#167 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 15 2020 - 11:00 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I have been giving them a steady diet of THA's sugar part of the ant juice supplement, and they really enjoy it. I gave the largest colony a fruit fly, and today, not a single limb was left. I'm pretty sure that they put it on their larvae pile, and that is why there was not a single piece left. I noticed them do this when I accidentally introduced a dead Nylanderia worker on my tweezers when feeding a mealworm. Rather odd behavior for Formicines, but I guess whatever works for them.....

Queen 1: 13 workers, a fair bit of brood, mostly tiny larvae.

Queen 2: 17 workers(miscounted in last update), and same amount of brood.

Complete Invalid

Trio: About 40 workers(miscounted in last update, though they did get one more worker)

Queen 4: 10 brood, 10 workers. Most certainly my least productive Lasius queen.

• mantisgal likes this

#168 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 5 2020 - 5:09 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

The trio got their first larger worker!!!!

KMPgmGE.jpg

Sorry for the poor pictures, it is much harder with them being in an outworld.

• AntsDakota, Ants_Dakota, TestSubjectOne and 1 other like this

#169 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted June 5 2020 - 5:59 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
I find that picture just fine. Lasius is one species I need to catch AND raise.
  • AntsDakota likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#170 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 5 2020 - 6:15 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Compared to my videos, it is quite abysmal.

• AntsDakota likes this

#171 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 26 2020 - 3:11 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

These are all doing excellently. They(with the exception of Queen 1's) havent gained workers in a little while, and mainly just have piles of larvae.

Queen 1) 8 or so larvae, 20ish workers(Just gained 2). They have been on the same diet, with the occasional fly. I did feed them a dead B. patagonicus alate though, they enjoyed that.

Queen 2) 15 larvae, 13 workers. They have been on the same diet, with the occasional fly.

Complete Invalid

Trio: Doing great in their outworld, and recently enjoyed some fruit flies. I have also introduced a liquid feeder. Now that they are filled up, and their larvae too, they don't really forage any more, so I can just pick the tube up from the outworld, and look at them that way. I assume that by the end of the year when their 50 or so larvae hatch, that won't be so. Another problem with these, and the others, is that they are running out of water. At least these don't seem to react horribly to stress, so, once the Trios larvae gets bigger, or ideally to the pupal stage, I will dump them into either a new tube, or a hydrostone formicarium. A new tube being the most likely.

There is a video of them.

Queen 4: 10 workers, and about 8 brood.

Edited by NickAnter, June 26 2020 - 3:27 PM.

• AntsMaryland, ANTdrew, AntsDakota and 1 other like this

#172 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 26 2020 - 7:02 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Don’t you just love how fat their queens get.........

#173 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 6 2020 - 1:44 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

One of them is confirmed to be niger, specifically Queen 2. Still unknown for the others.

The worker count has not changed, but I have move Queens 1 and two to new test tubes. Queen 1's colony also got an outworld.

• AntsDakota likes this

#174 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 6 2020 - 1:46 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Lasius niger(Queen 2)

(Queen 4)

(Queen 1)

(Trio)

Edited by NickAnter, August 6 2020 - 1:47 PM.

• AntsDakota likes this

#175 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 29 2020 - 11:11 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

The trio has over 80 workers, and over 150 larvae that they will overwinter. They also have 6 pupae, and once those pupae eclose, I will put them in hibernation. The two smaller colonies haven't been growing much, as I haven't been feeding them much. I will post pics of the Trio later today. They have been foraging a lot more now, which is nice. They are in full light, so I can observe them anytime.

#176 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 1 2020 - 6:48 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
They just keep laying eggs! They should want to go into hibernation, but instead just keep producing brood! Here is a video from a week ago:

They have laid like 30 more eggs since then.

Edited by NickAnter, November 1 2020 - 6:49 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#177 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 1 2020 - 7:08 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

• M_Ants likes this

#178 Offline madbiologist - Posted November 1 2020 - 8:05 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationOhio
It looks like most of their larvae aren't developing, so you probably just have to wait till the large larvae eclose, the eggs will be larvae by then.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

#179 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 1 2020 - 12:51 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Thank you for the advice. They sure are taking their time. And my Temnothorax arent slowing down much at all.

#180 Offline steelplant - Posted November 2 2020 - 3:18 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I wonder if they lay eggs to snack on through the winter. Some of my Lasius colonies have unexpected piles of eggs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius, eastern sierras

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users