• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Polygynous Lasius americanus Journal(Over 250 workers!)

lasius eastern sierras

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#41 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 4 2020 - 6:01 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
So, I know I said that I wouldn't update until next week, but the queen that has only one and a half antennae, is becoming very bloated. But, I gave her no sugar water. That means she is getting ready to lay eggs, and hopefully lots of them! Anyway, all of the trio are bloated on sugar water.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#42 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 6 2020 - 5:58 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

She laid an egg! (y)   None of the others did, sadly.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#43 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 8 2020 - 10:25 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Winged queen has one egg, and queen that was fed no sugar water and has full antennae has two. First queen to lay still has one. I will take pictures when they get large larvae. I am so glad that they are doing well, not many people in California keep Lasius, but I think they are really cool.
  • Wegmier likes this

#44 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 8 2020 - 10:35 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I agree

• NickAnter likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#45 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 8 2020 - 4:05 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

When did you put your's in?

Sorry for the late response; I got them from a friend, and before I got them, they were kept in a garage, and the weather got down to fridge temps in mid October, so about 4 months now.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#46 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 8 2020 - 4:08 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

not many people in California keep Lasius, but I think they are really cool.

A shame.... I also have a high opinion of them, yet not as high as yours, for they don't make up 75 percent of all ants in your area.  :lol:  :facepalm:

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#47 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 8 2020 - 4:10 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

In my area, besides mine, they make up zero percent of diversity around a 40 mile radius from my house. So, they are quite exotic here.

#48 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 9 2020 - 10:16 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Queen that had two eggs now has at least six.  I think the winged queen is infertile, she completely ignores her egg.

#49 Offline madbiologist - Posted February 9 2020 - 10:45 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationOhio
Just wondering, since your updates are coming every day or so, perhaps you're checking on the queens too much? The recommended amount of checking is once a week at most, so this could stress out the queens and cause them not to lay.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#50 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 9 2020 - 11:11 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Maybe, but, I find that some queens actually get used to it, as some of them seem to be.  I checked on my Nylanderia queen every day, and she never had any problems.  Though, I am tempted to agree, and I won't be checking on them for a week.  Some of the queens did get stressed, due to the sugar water soaked cotton balls. Trying to get them out was a pain, so that has been the reason for most interruptions.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#51 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 12 2020 - 5:30 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I know I said I wouldn't be checking, but I have done an experiment, and I have checked on a queen with eggs, and without, every day, and they have either laid eggs, or not eaten any. So, I checked on them all today. I think the fist queen that laid is the infertile one. She is the only one with eggs everywhere. All the others made neat piles. All queens gasters have largened. The trio has no more eggs than the rest. I believe the unfed, fully healthy queen is even beginning to get larvae.

#52 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 12 2020 - 8:29 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Okay.  I have determined this to be americanus.  Reason being the all important hairs on the scapes. So. Crypticus has all appressed hairs, and, it would seem as if these hairs are decumbent, not appressed.  Therefore, as americanus just doen't have erect hairs, I would assume it can have decumbent hairs. Correct me if I am wrong.

#53 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 17 2020 - 12:15 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
So much for that. I am certain that I have multiple species. The dead one that a put under a microscope is missing, so I don't know which ones are americanus. One queen, the winged one, is different from the queen which was found as a dealate. It has a flatter body and a larger head. I am now even questioning the genus of the one found as a dealate. Even though these were found in mid August, I am wondering if she may be Prenolepis(there is a variant in the eastern sierras which flys late). That would explain why her gaster was able to swell to such a size. Note, sadly, due to the positioning of the dealte in the tube, to gain focus, I had to zoom out:

Edited by NickAnter, February 17 2020 - 12:28 PM.

#54 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 17 2020 - 5:42 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Aren't most Lasius's care common enough to be used by different species? I don't see many glaring differences in the queens so they should be pretty similar, but I don't know that much about Lasius yet...  

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#55 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 17 2020 - 6:09 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Oh, the care is the same, I am just curious. I will try to get some better pictures later this week. Probably on Wednesday or Friday.  I will also try to get a picture of the two side by side to show the head difference.

#56 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 28 2020 - 6:42 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Hmm. I don't think that there ever was a larva, and there still is none. And they are being heated. They have had eggs for about twenty days. Hopefully somehow not magically infertile, because I saw some mate, and then drop to the ground. The trio has about 100 eggs in one massive pile. Hopefully they will start hatching soon. If that trio colony gets 100 nanitics, I will be amazed. I think it more likely that they will end up eating about half to save up resources. I had no idea it would take longer than this for them to get larvae!

Edited by NickAnter, February 28 2020 - 6:43 AM.

#57 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 28 2020 - 3:31 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

just because the guy was in there doesnt mean he didn't finish lol

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#58 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 28 2020 - 3:36 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Hmm. I don't think that there ever was a larva, and there still is none. And they are being heated. They have had eggs for about twenty days. Hopefully somehow not magically infertile, because I saw some mate, and then drop to the ground. The trio has about 100 eggs in one massive pile. Hopefully they will start hatching soon. If that trio colony gets 100 nanitics, I will be amazed. I think it more likely that they will end up eating about half to save up resources. I had no idea it would take longer than this for them to get larvae!

The majority of the eggs are probably trophic and/or will be consumed. 30-50 nanitics is my guess, but I could always be wrong.
  • NickAnter likes this

#59 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 28 2020 - 4:59 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Queen 1(alate): 1 larva!

Queen 2(dealate): that was not fed) 5 larvae

Queen three(broken and infertile): Scattered eggs

Trio: 100 eggs. No larvae

Queen 4(dealate with extremely swollen gaster) 20 eggs with no larave.

Thank goodness they have larvae. Skinny little things they are too, they look nothing like those of Nylanderia.

• ANTdrew and mantisgal like this

#60 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 28 2020 - 5:07 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
They get fatter as time goes on.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius, eastern sierras

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users