• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Polygynous Lasius americanus Journal(Over 250 workers!)

lasius eastern sierras

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#21 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 27 2019 - 3:10 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

So, upon further research, I do not think that those are erect hairs. They are probably appressed hairs, as they are not fully erect. This means that they are either crypticus or americanus.

Edited by NickAnter, February 2 2020 - 7:59 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#22 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 10 2020 - 4:38 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I have taken one queen out of hiberntion. If she lays eggs, I will take the rest out too.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#23 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 10 2020 - 5:21 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Mine never did. Put her back into hibernation. I guess yours may since of the regional difference, though.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#24 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 10 2020 - 5:48 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Well, they have been in hibernation for about 4 months, and where they come from there is snow on the ground for about half the year, but I assume they don't need that much.

#25 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 11 2020 - 3:10 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Ah, ok. I hope they lay.

Edited by AntsDakota, January 11 2020 - 3:10 PM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#26 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 11 2020 - 3:11 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

where they come from there is snow on the ground for about half the year

Ooh, how appealing. 

#27 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 11 2020 - 4:48 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Oh and by the way, I put her back in hibernation. Along with the C. vicinus I have decided to take all of them out on the first of February.

Edited by NickAnter, January 11 2020 - 4:48 PM.

#28 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 22 2020 - 8:07 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

9 more days till I take them out of hibernation!  :yahoo:  :o    Going to put two queens in agar setups to see how well they do.  I think they will do well, as Lasius are known for liking moisture, and that was seen in their nesting preferences in the wild.

#29 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 23 2020 - 12:36 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

How exciting! I'm taking mine out the first of March.

• NickAnter likes this

#30 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 23 2020 - 4:08 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

When did you put your's in?

#31 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted January 24 2020 - 12:49 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

I have the same dilemma that you have with identifying the Lasius. I have queens which I consider L. crypticus but I find queens that have characteristics of both crypticus and neoniger. I find both species in my area with crypticus being the rarer of the two. I am doing more research and considering that there may be hybrids, subspecies or perhaps I am just missing something.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#32 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 24 2020 - 5:46 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I personally do not have the skill to narrow them down. I really hope it is crypticus, however, many signs point to americanus. They certainly love to live in and under wood if they can. The biggest colony I found in the area lived in and under an old stump. Probably 10,000 workers or more. Very impressive watching them have a nuptial flight, and easy to find queens.

#33 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 1 2020 - 7:44 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I have taken them out! Here are some pictures;

• mantisgal likes this

#34 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 2 2020 - 8:03 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I gave the trio group a sugar water soaked cotton ball, and one to the alate and dealate found by the massive nest. The dealate has been drinking for a long time, and has a gaster now so distended that she could pass for Prenolepis imparis. Edit: (Gaster is now so large is is a bit longer than the rest of the body. She has probably lengthened 2mm. Quite insane) The others have not touched them. Might separate the trio soon. Tempted to put one in a 3d printed founding nest. I will take pictures, and update the journal, next week. Edit Number 2: One of the trio has been filling up.

Edited by NickAnter, February 8 2020 - 12:25 PM.

#35 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 3 2020 - 4:17 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

What time are you planning to take your Camponotus out. I put mine in in Novemberish and am planing to take them out around the end of march (a good fiveish months of 40ish degrees). 

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#36 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 3 2020 - 5:24 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Mine are out. They had 2.5-3 months.

#37 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 3 2020 - 5:53 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

i put my camponotus in around the beginning to middle of november and took them out yesterday

#38 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 3 2020 - 6:40 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

My Camp vicinus is dead. The hyatti has no brood, and can't seem to hold down food.  I need to fix my signature.

#39 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 4 2020 - 5:38 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

My founding queen is active, but looks to be the size of the Camponotus queen when the Camponotus queen balled up. Did I catch a Lasius by accident last season? 

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#40 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 4 2020 - 5:39 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I'll take my founding queen out later today to take pictures and make an ID thread...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius, eastern sierras

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users