• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

#2 Toronto, Ontario, Canada September 11th, 2019

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline WealthyCow - Posted September 11 2019 - 5:06 PM

WealthyCow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Location- Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Habitat – Along a sidewalk.

Colouration- Yellow hue, darker thorax, lighter legs and abdomen.
Semi Shiny.

Size - Approximately 8mm.

Behaviour – Medium speed, runs and hides when spotted.

https://imgur.com/a/dXRR6wx

Edited by WealthyCow, September 11 2019 - 5:07 PM.

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted September 11 2019 - 5:07 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Probably Lasius neoniger, but those legs are pretty yellow, so could be Lasius flavus.

#3 Offline WealthyCow - Posted September 11 2019 - 5:12 PM

WealthyCow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Thank you very much for the prompt response on all three posts. Also, are any of them polygynous

Edited by WealthyCow, September 11 2019 - 5:13 PM.

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted September 11 2019 - 5:17 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Thank you very much for the prompt response on all three posts. Also, are any of them polygynous

If I recall correctly, Crematogaster cerasi and Formica neogagates are occasionally polygynous, yes. L. neoniger is not.

#5 Offline WealthyCow - Posted September 11 2019 - 5:20 PM

WealthyCow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

If I recall correctly, Crematogaster cerasi and Formica neogagates are occasionally polygynous, yes. L. neoniger is not.

Lasius Flavus is polygynous? If it helps, I found about 40 of them as I walked around the sidewalk for an hour. When they were in a container together, they seemed to congregate in little groups of 3-4.

Edited by WealthyCow, September 11 2019 - 5:21 PM.

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 12 2019 - 4:16 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Lasius Flavus is polygynous? If it helps, I found about 40 of them as I walked around the sidewalk for an hour. When they were in a container together, they seemed to congregate in little groups of 3-4.

Yes, they are. Yet Lasius flavus are European. Their North American counterpart is L. brevicornis. Both are polygynous.

• Mdrogun likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users