• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Crematogaster Queen? 7/24/2019 North east Florida

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Tkmalphurs - Posted July 24 2019 - 4:29 PM

Tkmalphurs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationFlorida

I caught her July 3rd off of a wheel barrow where i was working. she's about 9 to 10 mm long and all black.

#2 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 24 2019 - 4:42 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Definitely a Crematogaster sp.. It’s either C. cerasi or C. lineolata. No real way to tell without closer pictures. (Congrats though, good find :D!)

Edited by CatsnAnts, July 24 2019 - 4:42 PM.

Spoiler

#3 Offline Tkmalphurs - Posted July 24 2019 - 4:50 PM

Tkmalphurs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Is there much of a behavioral difference or difference in food preference. I'm kinda new to this and just want to make sure i'm doing what's best for the specific ants.

#4 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 24 2019 - 5:05 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Is there much of a behavioral difference or difference in food preference. I'm kinda new to this and just want to make sure i'm doing what's best for the specific ants.

Nope, they are basicically the same in terms of behavior and care. They’ll eat just about anything from what I’ve heard, and I’m sure you’ll do a fine job caring for them :) (just a warning though, these species do grow at fast rates, so something to think about for the future)!

Spoiler

#5 Offline Tkmalphurs - Posted July 24 2019 - 5:10 PM

Tkmalphurs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Nope, they are basicically the same in terms of behavior and care. They’ll eat just about anything from what I’ve heard, and I’m sure you’ll do a fine job caring for them :) (just a warning though, these species do grow at fast rates, so something to think about for the future)!

Ok Thank you! Just for reference how fast do they grow? Like 4 months from first egg how big would the colony be?

#6 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 24 2019 - 5:26 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Ok Thank you! Just for reference how fast do they grow? Like 4 months from first egg how big would the colony be?

They might have in the hundreds by that time, or maybe close to it. There are some journals on this forum that document the growth of Crematogaster colonies, I recommend going to check some out to get an idea of the sheer amount of brood and they can get. The member “Feed The Ants” has recently updated his journal with pictures, although his colony is definitely older than 4 months!

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users