• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Honey colored CA. queen

Best Answer Aaron567 , July 24 2019 - 3:06 PM

This is a species of Camponotus. Probably Camponotus fragilis.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BADANT - Posted July 24 2019 - 2:45 PM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX

Twentynine Palms, CA, USA
7/24/2019

Body:
1. Location of collection: Desert field, Twentynine Palms, CA, USA. I found 6 of them, 5 were within 1 foot of the street as I walked along the curb and I found 1 more about 15 feet in from the street.

2. Date of collection: 7/23/2019, at about 9:00pm.
3. Habitat of collection: It was a vacant piece of land in the desert along a wash. There was desert type of plants, but not dense. This piece of land was a long thin strip that ran between the wash and a house. She was found about 20 feet from the road.
4. Length: 11mm to 12mm.
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: The color of honey, with some faded light brown bands across her gaster as well as her back.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Three small spots on her head, seems like a pretty large eye. They are fast on the ground and when climbing the walls of the container.
7. Anything else distinctive: None that I could tell.
8. Nest description: Unknown

9. Nuptial flight time and date: Unknown.

#2 Offline BADANT - Posted July 24 2019 - 2:47 PM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX

I was told that I might be finding Formica and I saw someone else post some pictures of his Formica pallidefulva last night. These look like them.

#3 Offline AntPhycho - Posted July 24 2019 - 2:48 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

You lucky man. I'm almost positive it is Myrmecocystus mexicanus... I am so jealous  :D

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#4 Offline BADANT - Posted July 24 2019 - 2:52 PM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX

Well, glad I haven't labeled their tubes yet...LOL

#5 Offline AntPhycho - Posted July 24 2019 - 3:01 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

nevermind

Edited by AntPhycho, July 24 2019 - 3:14 PM.

• BADANT likes this

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#6 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 24 2019 - 3:06 PM   Best Answer

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

This is a species of Camponotus. Probably Camponotus fragilis.

• VoidElecent and AntsBC like this

#7 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 24 2019 - 3:07 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Can you get a better side shot of the head?

• BADANT likes this

#8 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 24 2019 - 3:08 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Either C. fragilis or C. absquatulator.

#9 Offline AntPhycho - Posted July 24 2019 - 3:14 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Huh I thought it looked almost identical to the description given by http://www.antwiki.o...ystus_mexicanus

That is embarrassing  :lol:  

Ants & Formicaria

#10 Offline BADANT - Posted July 24 2019 - 3:30 PM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX

Can you get a better side shot of the head?

#11 Offline BADANT - Posted July 24 2019 - 3:33 PM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX

Huh I thought it looked almost identical to the description given by http://www.antwiki.o...ystus_mexicanus

Between trying to learn the names of my target species and the names of the species I have......  %)

#12 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 24 2019 - 4:22 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

That shot certainly confirms Camponotus, maxillary palps shorter than the head.

• FSTP likes this

#13 Offline BADANT - Posted July 24 2019 - 6:23 PM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX

That shot certainly confirms Camponotus, maxillary palps shorter than the head.

Is that a trait of all componotus species?
Is the consensus still that this is C fragilis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 25 2019 - 2:24 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

No, but the long palps are a trait of Myrmecocystus. Still something in the Camponotus fragilis group. Please note spelling of Camponotus.

• Canadian anter and TennesseeAnts like this

#15 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted July 25 2019 - 1:41 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

locality alone is usually enough to tell absquatulator apart from fragilis. if in the colorado desert, it's likely absquatulator, if in the mojave or coastal socal, it's almost certainly fragilis.  HOWEVER i did actually collect a fragilis queen from salton city the other year. 

• gcsnelling likes this

#16 Offline BADANT - Posted July 25 2019 - 1:47 PM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX

Yeah, well I've learned from you, that's for sure. But he makes a great point about the palps (not that I knew that term yesterday, but I do today). I had just gotten a ID on a Pogonomyrmex rugousu, and the palps were so noticable because they came to the mandibles, that I listed them as a most distinguishing feature (to me). I also looked at the link that you provided, and in reading it I noticed that the gentleman helping me was quoted in it, unless he just happens to have the same initials and love for ants.

#17 Offline BADANT - Posted July 25 2019 - 2:02 PM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX

No, but the long palps are a trait of Myrmecocystus. Still something in the Camponotus fragilis group. Please note spelling of Camponotus.

Please forgive my mistake, i wish I could blame it on my phone. Either way, I appreciate your help and especially the way that you answer with information that helps me learn more. Thank you

#18 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 25 2019 - 3:16 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

locality alone is usually enough to tell absquatulator apart from fragilis. if in the colorado desert, it's likely absquatulator, if in the mojave or coastal socal, it's almost certainly fragilis.  HOWEVER i did actually collect a fragilis queen from salton city the other year. 

Agreed, locality is a very good tell, but your record also goes to show that the ants do not read the literature.

#19 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 25 2019 - 3:18 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

The Snelling in the antwiki link is my father.

• Canadian anter and BADANT like this

#20 Offline ariaant - Posted July 28 2019 - 2:29 PM

ariaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Antmoon,  I was really hoping to find camponotus fragilis when i went out to 29 palms. Although i didn't get any, i have plenty of other ants to keep me busy.  Nevertheless, I do really want to get some next season.  Did you have to look in multiple areas for them?  Where they sort of hit or miss, with some areas having lots and others having none? Where they found really far from the main populated areas of 29 palms?

I checked several areas on the night of July 26th in 29 palms  but only saw solenopsis xyloni, and some smaller honey pot ant queens.

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users