• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Need help identifying ant queen (Florida)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Tkmalphurs - Posted July 23 2019 - 10:45 AM

Tkmalphurs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationFlorida
I caught this queen at the end of June and assumed it was some Pheidole species but after further research I’m starting to second guess myself she is around 12 to 13 mm long, head and thorax are a reddish brown and gaster is black with two translucent dots near the upper part of it.

http://www.formicult...602_1943648.jpg

http://www.formicult...17186-img-0471/

Sorry for the mediocre pictures.

7/23/2019

#2 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 23 2019 - 11:08 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Camponotus tortuganus, one of the common Camponotus species in the Florida peninsula.

#3 Offline Tkmalphurs - Posted July 23 2019 - 11:50 AM

Tkmalphurs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Camponotus tortuganus, one of the common Camponotus species in the Florida peninsula.

Thank you! i was thinking it was some sort of camponotus species. Is there any special behavioral traits i should know or any tips on care?

#4 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 23 2019 - 2:25 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Not really, they're pretty easy to care for. Compared to other Camponotus they seem to accept a lot wider variety of different foods and they can grow pretty fast if they're fed a lot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users