• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Major changes to permit regulations coming Aug 9th

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Offline soulsynapse - Posted July 21 2019 - 4:22 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal
So there are some really huge changes coming for the hobby!

Timeline
  • Changes go live AUGUST 9TH
  • We are planning to have an AMA with a Senior Entomologist in the permiting dept of APHIS, Dr. Blanco on or shortly after that date (TBD) (in the discord)

Permit changes
  • There is a new classification for pests that can be exempted from needing a permit at the federal level
  • This means that once something has made the list, the states that can send and receive them need to make sure there are no state level laws against it. You still have to research if it's legal in your state.
  • The only species of ant on the list is pogonomyrmex occidentalis. Currently, this includes queens, but it may be changed.

How a species is added to the permit exempt list, according to the draft of the law
  • There will be a petition process.
  • To qualify, a species needs to be either
  • Completely and utterly benign to plant and wildlife, provable via multiple published studies. This includes exotic species imports.

• Well established in every single state of the continental united states, and not a regional threat, provable via multiple published studies

• Widely used in lab settings

While exciting, we cannot be sure of what's to come until we see the final list on the 9th. ALL OF THIS CAN CHANGE.

That said, if it is published as-is, this will be a huge change for the entire hobby :)

More reading:

So that there isn't confusion, the AMA will be documented and put on the wiki as the final word on what this all means.

(copying this from the discord, haha)

Contents have been roughly verified by a USDA employee. Really exciting stuff  :D

Edited by soulsynapse, July 22 2019 - 10:08 AM.

• nurbs, Barristan, Kevin and 6 others like this
Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

#2 Offline Acutus - Posted July 21 2019 - 4:25 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Very Cool!

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 21 2019 - 6:46 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Imagine if the only thing that happens is that Pogonomyrmex occidentalis is taken off the list
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#4 Offline Lazarus - Posted July 22 2019 - 4:14 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

Wouldn't the stipulation "Well established in every single state of the continental united states" rule out most if not all species? With the possible exception of Pogonomyrmex occidentalis. ;)

• TennesseeAnts likes this

My online ant spreadsheet

#5 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 22 2019 - 4:45 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Wouldn't the stipulation "Well established in every single state of the continental united states" rule out most if not all species? With the possible exception of Pogonomyrmex occidentalis. ;)

I mean you have Lasius neoniger and Lasius americanus, Tapinoma SESSILE, Camponotus pennsylvanicus... And that's kinda it

#6 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 22 2019 - 5:20 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

How a species is added to the permit exempt list, according to the draft of the law

• Completely and utterly benign to plant and wildlife, provable via multiple published studies. This includes exotic species imports.

• Well established in every single state of the continental united states, and not a regional threat, provable via multiple published studies

This is great, but only very few species fall in the range of these criteria. Like CanadianAnter said, maybe T. sessile and, I don't know, something like Solenopsis molesta.

I'm curious, any idea how P. occidentalis made it onto the list? They definitely don't occur in the entire eastern half of the United States.

• Martialis and TennesseeAnts like this

#7 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 22 2019 - 5:23 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

This is great, but only very few species fall in the range of these criteria. Like CanadianAnter said, maybe T. sessile and, I don't know, something like Solenopsis molesta.

I'm curious, any idea how P. occidentalis made it onto the list? They definitely don't occur in the entire eastern half of the United States.

School projects and Milton antfarms haha. Gotta love Gel farm style

• TennesseeAnts, AntsBC and aznphenom like this

#8 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 22 2019 - 6:00 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
This is awesome! But why established in every state??? That literally excludes everything but Tapinoma sessile and Tetramorium immagrans.

#9 Offline kounelus - Posted July 22 2019 - 10:15 AM

kounelus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNorthern Indiana

It states "either" of the following. So Pogonomyrmex isn't established in all states, but it might be 

Completely and utterly benign to plant and wildlife, provable via multiple published studies. This includes exotic species imports. OR Widely used in lab setting

We'll have to wait and see if that actually stays that way or gets changed when they push it through.

Edited by kounelus, July 22 2019 - 10:16 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#10 Offline soulsynapse - Posted July 22 2019 - 10:17 AM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

So.. just kidding the ask me anything q/a session will be tomorrow at 2pm EST. Announcement pending.

14,000 messages a day

#11 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 22 2019 - 10:58 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Could Myrmica incompleta be included in this list at some point? I don't know of any plants they harm directly or indirectly. Except maybe when tending aphids.

Come August ninth, I'm getting me some Pogonomyrmex occidentalis. :D

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, July 22 2019 - 11:02 AM.

• sweetgrass likes this

#12 Offline soulsynapse - Posted July 22 2019 - 2:01 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Okay, AMA for tomorrow is confirmed. I'll post the transcript here too!

• Acutus likes this

14,000 messages a day

#13 Offline SuperFrank - Posted July 22 2019 - 5:31 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
To clarify, a species only has to meet at least one of the stipulations listed to be eligible for a permit

#14 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 22 2019 - 5:39 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

To clarify, a species only has to meet at least one of the stipulations listed to be eligible for a permit

Yeah, but any damage whatsoever can be used to qualify harm to plants and surrounding organisms

• SuperFrank likes this

#15 Offline Will230145 - Posted July 22 2019 - 7:31 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGrove City, Pennsylvania
So your telling me, that I may be able to have harvester ants in PA! YESSSSSS!!

#16 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 23 2019 - 2:18 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Unfortunately this means no leaf cutter ants. :(

#17 Offline Lasiusumbratus - Posted July 26 2019 - 4:55 AM

Lasiusumbratus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationMaryland
What has happened with this? Am I now allowed to order a harvester ant queen?

#18 Offline wardharl - Posted July 26 2019 - 9:29 AM

wardharl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCocoa,Florida
Did the ama happen?

#19 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 26 2019 - 2:23 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

But is there really a species which is well established in every single continental state?

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#20 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 26 2019 - 2:25 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Could Myrmica incompleta be included in this list at some point? I don't know of any plants they harm directly or indirectly. Except maybe when tending aphids.

Come August ninth, I'm getting me some Pogonomyrmex occidentalis. :D

What has happened with this? Am I now allowed to order a harvester ant queen?

I'm no businessman, but I would assume that it would take a little while for Pogonomyrmex queens to actually be distributed. I'm just going to wait for some to show up on Amazon.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users