• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Nuptial flights in Wisconsin?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted June 27 2019 - 9:07 AM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Hello there! First post on this site so here we go. I live in Wisconsin and I have not seen a SINGLE queen this year. It has been a very humid summer so far but I still havent seen a single alate or nuptial flight at all. I have checked on sidewalks, in forests, by ponds and rivers and nothing! I don't know if I am just super unlucky or what. My next thought would be to dig up founding nests but I am really don't want to. I know there are big colonys around my house and in forests. It is almost July and I can't seem to find a single one. I have had no trouble in the past finding multiple queens a day but this year is just insane. If anybody has any advice that would be great to hear. Thanks!  :D

Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#2 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted June 27 2019 - 1:56 PM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Ok I just setup a small plastic pool in my backyard to hopefully attract some alates when I am not searching. I am going to let it sit for a full 24 hours and see if anything lands in it.

And it just rained so hopefully tomorrow will bring me some luck  :D

Edited by Pumpkin_Loves_Ants, June 27 2019 - 5:47 PM.

#3 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted June 27 2019 - 3:09 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Camponotus are flying right now where I am. I just caught one today.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#4 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted June 29 2019 - 11:14 AM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

After around two full days out in the sun has yielded nothing but debris and (sadly) a couple ants. I have no idea what to do next besides digging some chambers up :(  

If anybody has any suggestions on what else I could do to try to find some queens that would be greatly appreciated!

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 29 2019 - 1:21 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

After around two full days out in the sun has yielded nothing but debris and (sadly) a couple ants. I have no idea what to do next besides digging some chambers up :(  

If anybody has any suggestions on what else I could do to try to find some queens that would be greatly appreciated!

Tetramorium and Formica will be flying very soon. I just think this is an period in which no ants are flying (believe me, I've been looking).

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users