• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID Paintsville, KY (Posted 6/16/19)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DJoseph98 - Posted June 15 2019 - 9:14 PM

DJoseph98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationCentral Kentucky

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Paintsville, KY U.S.A.
2. Date of collection: 6/16/2019
3. Habitat of collection: Suburban area, very close to forest and woods though. Some dry clear areas nearby as well.
4. Length (from head to gaster): 8 – 9mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Glossy Black, very dark brown near moth underneath head (so dark its almost black in most lighting)
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Crematogaster due to heart shaped gaster.
7. Distinguishing behavior:
8. Nest description: 

9. Nuptial flight time and date: Time unknown, date 6/16/2019

Found three of them, first at 11:30 AM, second at 12:00 PM, and third at around 2:00 PM. Temperature reached around lower 80s F today and the humidity was above 30%. Been storming a lot recently (full week storms, this last two days dry and sunny). Night before reached down to mid 40s F.

Sorry I couldn’t get better pictures, I’m stuck using a bad phone and a clip on Macro lens.

wCXWm6s.jpggguBDuk.jpg5BIQjh6.jpggpOSphZ.jpg

Current Colonies

1 x Camponotus nearcticus (Monogynous), 1 x Crematogaster cerasi (Monogynous), 1 x Formica cf. subsericea (Polygynous Two-Queen), 1 x Formica cf. pallidefulva (Monogynous, single worker),

1 x Lasius cf. americanus (Pleometrotic Founding, now Monogynous), 1 x Tetramorium immigrans (Monogynous)

Current Founding Units

1 x Formica cf. subsericea (Monogynous)

Up-To-Date as of 9/15/2020

#2 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted June 15 2019 - 9:33 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

I believe someone might be able to guess a species, but without better quality pictures there will probably not be a certain ID. Crematogaster spp. can often be similar to one another to the extent of using a microscope to discern differences. I would suggest getting decent pictures of the head and a side view with decent lighting.

• DJoseph98 likes this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#3 Offline DJoseph98 - Posted June 16 2019 - 5:43 AM

DJoseph98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationCentral Kentucky
Thanks, I'll try and get a hold of a better camera

Current Colonies

1 x Camponotus nearcticus (Monogynous), 1 x Crematogaster cerasi (Monogynous), 1 x Formica cf. subsericea (Polygynous Two-Queen), 1 x Formica cf. pallidefulva (Monogynous, single worker),

1 x Lasius cf. americanus (Pleometrotic Founding, now Monogynous), 1 x Tetramorium immigrans (Monogynous)

Current Founding Units

1 x Formica cf. subsericea (Monogynous)

Up-To-Date as of 9/15/2020

#4 Offline Martialis - Posted June 16 2019 - 3:33 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi
Agreed with Crematogaster
Spoiler